Regular Army view of SOF

Hatchetforce

yeah in delta you have to go 40 miles with a 45 lbs rucksack in less then 12-24 (the number is classified) hours

How would you know? BS, I will tell you this once and one time only. Watch what you say in this forum. As a kid, you know nothing of which members of the military talk. Want to learn something, then read what they say here, but keep your trap shut.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell I'm going to really have to read, and re-read, and edit and re-edit this post several times before hitting the submit button, but I think it's time that this thread get's a little "feet wet" so to speak.

I spent 11 long, hard years of my life as a USN SEAL (Team 5, SDG A Squad). . .

Thanks, Thor. Always fascinating to hear from someone on the inside. One question: What does SDG stand for?

I can tell I'm going to really have to read, and re-read, and edit and re-edit this post several times before hitting the submit button, but I think it's time that this thread get's a little "feet wet" so to speak.

I spent 11 long, hard years of my life as a USN SEAL (Team 5, SDG A Squad). . .

Thanks, Thor. Always fascinating to hear from someone on the inside. One question: What does SDG stand for?

SDG = Special Development Group

or.. as we liked to call ourselves.. Socially Dysfunctional Guys!

Edited by Thor

I am gonna take you up on that Thor.

The option 40 program(Ranger contract), recruited 17 year olds off the street, there is more than just one 18 year old in Regt.

the age of the people in these groups has an effect on how they behave, but i believe how long they have been in the military effects it too. come straight out of 14 weeks at benning OSUT, abn, RIP, and to a SOF unit, you may have a bit of an ego. sure, you have done somthing few people, want to, or could, but that doesnt give anyone the right to be arrogant about it.

especially with SEAL training, twice as long as the training i went through. so i can only imagine the pride that comes with the earing of the trident.

and with time these peoples attitudes will change, they will see, there is nothing to boast about. silent proffesionals, the way it should be.

I am gonna take you up on that Thor.

The option 40 program(Ranger contract), recruited 17 year olds off the street, there is more than just one 18 year old in Regt.

the  age of the people in these groups has an effect on how they behave, but i believe how long they have been in the military effects it too. come straight out of 14 weeks at benning OSUT, abn, RIP, and to a SOF unit, you may have a bit of an ego. sure, you have done somthing few people, want to, or could, but that doesnt give anyone the right to be arrogant about it.

especially with SEAL training, twice as long as the training i went through. so i can only imagine the pride that comes with the earing of the trident.

and with time these peoples attitudes will change, they will see, there is nothing to boast about. silent proffesionals, the way it should be.

I'm not familiar with the Option 40 Contract for the US Army, however I WILL take your word for it. I tended to be a bit "busy" during my time in the service and didn't keep up with many things. My experience with Deltas and Rangers where always with more experienced operators, and I made it my point to extend the hand and salute to the fine men who serve in those units. Ontop of that, you can always learn from each other, and sharing information on areas, tactics, new weapons, etc etc can be extremely helpful in the battlefield, and in doing JFO's.

The "Pride" that comes with earning a Trident is VERY HIGH, especially when you consider the attrition rating that comes with the program. The ONLY other program in the Navy (that is specifically a USN program mind you) that has even near the rate of drops is the NUKE specialities. I will ALWAYS be proud of the bud I wore on my chest for 11 years, I will always be DAMN PROUD of my "spots" (anyone who's been in the service before the "nicer gentler days" will know what I'm talking about), and I will NEVER allow some green azz wog to bash my SEALS.. no way.

And.. just a side note...

Normally, it's also been my experience, that when you mix branches of service members, you tend to get a bit of "boast and fluster" between the ranks. I think it's pretty much a normal thing on most cases, sometimes we take it too far (I know I have a few times, even got the old NJP for it once.. but that's another story). In THIS forum, so far I've seen Marines, Army, and Navy represented quite firmly, and amazingly enough, no squabbling. Probably age and experience is catching up to us, but it is Very Refreshing to not have to "primp" for the masses...lol

I will say tho.. that it would be nice to have a USCG LEDET or SAR person here, as well as an USAF Para-rescue rep as well. Say what you will about the Coasties and Air Force (Or as I call them affectionately.. Pond Pirates and Chair Force), but they to have some AMAZING forces that can hit the ground running in times of need and crisis, and are also some of the most professional guys you can meet. Also was wondering if we have any SAS-vets here, as there is a large membership from the UK.

Edited by Thor

yeah in delta you have to go 40 miles with a 45 lbs rucksack in less then 12-24 (the number is classified) hours

How would you know? BS, I will tell you this once and one time only. Watch what you say in this forum. As a kid, you know nothing of which members of the military talk. Want to learn something, then read what they say here, but keep your trap shut.

i have read two books on delta one by a founding member Eric L. Hanly CSM (ret.) and one by Col. Charlie A Beckwith(ret.) former comander of delta

i have read two books on delta one by a founding member Eric L. Hanly CSM (ret.) and one by Col. Charlie A Beckwith(ret.) former comander of delta

Being book smart is all good and fine but heed what WhiteKnight told you. Others haven't and probably wish they had now.

@Thor

Normally, it's also been my experience, that when you mix branches of service members, you tend to get a bit of "boast and fluster" between the ranks.

It usually doesn't take long for that to crop up around here somewhere..... Does it WK? :devil:

Stout Hearts

|RE|Warhawk

i'm stupid but can i join

not that your stupid, its that you have a know it all attidtude.

you go in a unit, such as SEALs, Ranger, SF even, theyd try an teach you somthing and you think you already know it, because you read it in Eric Hanlys book.

thats when you get dropped and the ###### smoked out of you.

so learn somthing now, and save yourself the pushups, when you see ###### like this going on, take advantage and learn, keep you mouth shut, and just listen, have a question, ask, but dont intervene saying delta rucks with 45lbs for a classified amount of miles.

i ready Beckwiths book too, dont mean i know all there is to know about the unit

if i had the advantage of reading, and learning from other operators before i went in, i could have reaped the benefits. so consider yourself lucky you have a community of good military people here, from all branches, who arent caught up in the "Army vs Navy" battle, and just listen.

back on topic.... i have an idea, Thor, what you mean about the greener days, i have heard horror stories of "initiation" in Bat.

i got some buddies that are cct, i'll see what i can do.

As for what an SDG does that's different from regular SEALS, or any other SF unit, unfortunately I can't tell you that part, it is still classified. Just know that we're out there, and could even be the guy working next to you in Walmart (seriously).

As for the "greener days", initiations used to be a trial in and of itself. At least for the Navy (again, I can't speak for everyone else's service branch here), the fleet sailor initiations where rough also. Go find someone who, like myself, went thru a 'Traditional" Shellback initiation, you'll hear them mix words like gross, hard, painful, and FUN in the same sentance everytime. The Traditional Bluenose wasn't easy to get either, at least not when you where on deck.

For those of you who don't know:

Shellback initiation is for when you cross the equator for the first time.

Golden Shellback is when you cross the equator and IDT the first time.

Bluenose is for going to the Arctic Circle the first time.

The current initiations are NOT what they used to be. A few years back, I think it was 96 or 97 but not sure, a VIDEO of a Shellback initiation surfaced, and it caused quite a ruckus in the hallowed halls of congress, with the news media, and god know's how many "special interest groups", who all claimed it was barbaric or demeaning. The Shellback initiation actually evolved from an old Norse standard for crossing the equator, making it one of the OLDEST traditions in the Military. However, back in the Early years (we're talking 1400's to 1600's) some of those initiations left you scarring, and possibly even disfigured. There are accounts of people THEN having nails driven thru their hands to hold them to the deck of a ship (remember, back then the decks where wooden planks). Not sure if its true or not, but it is what I've read. Mind you, I even think that's a bit barbaric, thankfully the tradition survived long enough for me to experience it before, like many other naval traditions, it was swept away by some whining liberal who never spent a minute strapped up. BTW.. I'm not fond of politicians in general, never have been, so you won't see me in any political discussions, thankfully, looking up at the lovely pink banner, their banned (YEAH!!).

If you have any specific questions about the initiations (I've done all three listed) then by all means let me know and I'll answer the best I can, within the current structure that the military has on them of course.

As for what an SDG does that's different from regular SEALS, or any other SF unit, unfortunately I can't tell you that part, it is still classified.  Just know that we're out there, and could even be the guy working next to you in Walmart (seriously).

Cool. Thanks much.

Thor, with 11 years under your belt as a SEAL, you must have earned some medals.  Can you share what they are?

The best I ever got was the marksmanship ribbon.  <_<

I have numerous medals, but I'm not here to brag about how much "fruit salad" I have on my uniform (or had, since I am out now). What I will say is this..

THANKFULLY, none of my medals are for bogus stuff like cleaning the head proficiently.

I do have one that I am particularly proud of, and I will share that one.

My Third Navy Achievement Medal (NAM) was for doing a rescue at sea of 3 foreign nationals (Spanish) in the Straights of Gibraltar, during the night, a ugly storm, and increased shipping traffic. We even broke the motor whale boat of the ship I was TAD to at the time, but we DID bring them to safety, and to me, that's mighty important.

I always did feel that things like Shellback and Bluenose was something better off experienced than described myself.

Stout Hearts

|RE|Warhawk

In short, I have to agree. How can you really KNOW if you don't do it yourself. It's sorta like saying "I don't like the taste of mango's" without ever having tasted one to know for sure what it's like.

Problem with it now tho, in our current military mindset, the people just going in will probably NEVER have a true initiation like the ones we had in "yesteryear".. God.. I'm starting to sound like an old salt.. I better stop...lol

Edited by Thor