Next patch details v1.03

CR6

Well, good news on the horizon for further improvements in the v1.03 patch:

http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3636

Hi everyone, and thanks for supporting BF2.  Thanks to all of you out there, BF2 has seen great success around the world and we’d like to thank you all for that.

Since its launch, we’ve tried to give BF2 all the support it deserves by releasing patches with the fixes and improvements you’ve asked for.  Unfortunately, we haven’t lived up to the standards we’ve set for ourselves and we know that.  So all of us at EA and DICE are working extra hard to make sure that the BF2 experience improves dramatically in the coming weeks.

Towards the end of August, we will be releasing a new patch, 1.03.  This patch is currently underway and will undergo thorough testing before it goes out to avoid the problems that have occurred in the past.  There are over 140 fixes and improvements in this patch.  Here are just a few of them:

Server and Client performance improvements

Improved Server Browser – added Favorites and History Lists.

Point-farming prevention - game will stop Support/Medic/Engineer point farming exploits.

Squads - locked squad leader will get a message if someone wants to join.

Many HUD improvements - see the names of others in your vehicle, zoom level changing depending on vehicle, map zoom depending on map setup (16, 32 or 64 player map) etc.

Teamkilling changes – the logic of how teamkills are tracked will be changed.

Gameplay tweaks - the way transport helicopters work will be tweaked.

Additional scoring changes - players who destroy an enemy commander's assets will be given points.

There are many, many more fixes that will be included in the patch but we’re looking forward to everyone moving to 1.03 to get the best BF2 experience out there on a level, cheat-free playing field.

We also know that there is still an issue with availability of slots on Ranked Servers.  We’re all delighted that this new feature has been so popular, but we know that many of you are finding it hard to get onto a ranked server, especially at peak times.  We are taking big steps and investing heavily to ensure that everyone can experience this side of BF2.  New official servers have gone up in Europe and the US this week and you will see many more going up in the coming weeks.  Our vision is to make sure you never have to wait to get onto a ranked server so you can enjoy the game at its best, and we will work to make that happen.

Thanks for being such fans of BF2.  We’ve been listening to you and we’re determined to make BF2 the best online shooter experience out there.  We hope you like the changes that are coming.

Sentience

Community Co-ordinator

EA GAMES

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Any more news on this?

Here's parts of a transcript from a chat done with DICE last week at Quakenet

http://www.bf2.se/index.php?m=single&id=399

#1 When will the next patch (1.03) be finished for release?

We're working hard on finishing up the last few fixes of the 1.03 patch and getting it through testing for release. There are a lot of great fixes and we want to make sure its don'e right. That said, it will be released...when it's done.

#2 Will there be fixes to the collision system in the engine? What I mean are those annoying deaths when for example a supply crate slides downhill and you're right below it or you're behind a tank and it moves a thousandth of an inch backward at a speed of few inches per hour and you die. There have also been instances when a vehicle sort of clips inside a fence(or any other thin non-destructible obstacle) and is destroyed.

We've made some changes in the collision system to prevent these kind of problems. A lot of the problem objects that have caused vehicles to instantly explode have been worked on and you can now get pushed around by slow vehicles without dying so easily. This should prevent a lot of the unintentional TKing that we all hate also makes it a bit more stable to stand on top of slow-moving vehicles... but I'll stop there.

#4 Will there be something done to rid the game of the so called bunnyhopping.As people being able to go prone,jump,prone,jump hasn't the slightest bit of realism in it.Also the whole tk/punish system really needs a overhaul as too many times people get punished/kicked from servers because of other peoples stupidity ie walking out in front of armour/transport etc which no doubt results in a punish.

TK wise we have made some changes that should reduce the number of accidental TKs. Such as the vehicle collison system that was mentioned earlier. 'Dolphin Diving' does look pretty wierd, i agree, we are keeping an eye on this issue and may address it in an upcoming patch

#5 Are you actively looking on the internet to find bugreports or do bugreports only by incident reach the developers?

A lot us here at DICE actively read popular BF2 forums and we hear about everything

Also our QA department at EA keep track of all the issues they find throughout their testing of the game and the patches. We have a huge amount of this info we use to decide what fixes we need to make and which we should leave infavor of other issues

#9 Have you any thoughts of adding the abillity to auto-join a server when it gets a free slot?

I'd really like to see that feature added as well.

#10 When you touch a land vehicle and it's moving, usually people die. Will this be fixed?

Yes! This is greatly improved in the patch.

#11 when you get hit by a vehicles u die instantly. even if it is slow-moving(turning around ect.). this is very irritating. what are your thoughts about this?

This has been worked on and you will see a big improvment in the patch.

#12 Will the upcoming patch fix the game browser?

Actually yes we've made some improvements to the browser in the patch. We fixed some performance problems and made some changes that make server status display more accurate.

#13 Have any thought been given to remove the pointloss resulting when switching sides. I have a hard time figuring out why exactly you need punishment for doing that?

You loose points when you switch teams because you Suicide in order to join the other team.

#14 In the upcoming patch, is the bug where sometimes the red warning marker is not displayed above claymore mines fixed?

Those are enemy claymores!!!

#16 what are the main fixes in this patch?

I think one of the more popular ones will be that players have to get out of a Blackhawk to capture a flag. Now in a full Blackhawk only the pilot counts in the flag capture raduis.

#19 Will the patch fix the Black hawk overpower-issue?

We've made some changes here that should make this technique still possible, but more challenging for the folks in the helicopter.

#20 You have talked about that the "hit-system" has been imrpoved in the next patch, will therefor "wing sufring" (hitchride with a airplane ) be possible?

'Wingwalking', as we call it in the office, is now much easier. It was one of the BF1942 things we really wanted to get into BF2. Its good fun to be stood on an the back of an F35.

#21 does the spec ops could gain xp when he destroy bridges ?

We've added support points to destroying the enemy commander toys, but not bridges.

#24 Does the 1.03 patch finally let user add their server favorites in the BF2 serversearch, and/or will there be better ASE support (like password protected servers)

We've added a panel to the server browser where you can add favorite servers and see the history of servers you have played on.

#25 Will there be improvements to armored vehicels having trouble driving up a hill road?

yes

#26 Will you be able to see the names of players in the same vehicle in the new patch?

yes

#28 Will the new patch fix the problem concerning AA-missiles skipping enemy targets and instead head for a random target, even though allready locked on to a heatsource?

The AA-missiles have been improved to better hit their target

#29 In reply to 'Wingwalking'. I thought it was the meaning of BF2 the be realistic as possible... Wing walking on a F35 (while in the air I think), isnt really realistic ;x

It's not possible to go really fast and have the player stick in place. It's simply possible to stand on the moving vehicle now. This goes for tanks also, where you would previously have some trouble standing on a moving one, now its much easier to stay on it.

#31 hi there, are the problems with dedicated mod-servers fixed in the patch?

Yes we've done a lot of work regarding mod support in the patch, including hosting servers

#32 will there be any additional information displayed on the 3d map?

Yes, supply drops will be on the 3d-map in the patch

#33 How have you prevented the point-farming?

We've added a limit to the amount of supply points you can get from the same person in a given amount of time. It won't eliminate this from happening, but it will be less effective.

#34 3d-map ? what is 3d about it ?

It appears in the 3D game world, rather than on a 2D map plane. We decided to go with the name used for Battlefield Vietnam. I'm open to suggestions for new names!

#35 In the new patch, can a person chance nickname, or maybe just clan tag! ?

You will ba able to add a 6 character prefix

#36 Are the anti-tank bazookas gonna be improved, it's quite hard to shoot tank 4times so that he can exit the tank and kill you with m4

If you make direct hits to the rear or top of the tank, it will be just about toast in 2 hits.

#41 Will there still be an issue with lots of engineers being able to repair blackhawk (and other helos) in flight ? At the moment a fully loaded blackhawk is like a flying tank

The effectiveness of the wrench on helicopters has been reduced a little

#42 You mentioned earlier players will have to leave the blackhawk to get flag capture, will this apply to other helicopters as well ?

This will apply to all vehicles

#44 Is there going to be a fix the "|c" bug that turns peoples names orange if they have it as part of their name/account name?

as a matter of fact we've fixed that

#45 Can you add special characters (like (, ), [, ], |, etc) to that new prefix? And isn't 6 characters quite a few? I mean I know lots of clans that use a longer tag..

yes we allow some special characters in the prefix

#46 I've heard that the ranking system may be adjusted in the patch. Can you comment on this?

There have been adjustments.

#48 UGH?! get out of all vehicles to capture flag, sounds like an awful idea to me. Drive tank to flag, get out to get flag and watch enemy jump in and blow you away!

No it's just the passengers that have to get out. One person can stay in the vehicle and still capture the flag.

#56 Have u had any thoughts about releasing the things u have fixed, and make one more patch for the things that arent done?

Sadly it doesnt work that way. Once we finish adding in the new things and fixes of current issues for the patch, we then move on to fixing the new bugs that have crept into the game. It's usually this beta period that takes quite a lot of time. So releasing lots of small patches doesnt really make much difference, as we still have the beta time and QA testing to go through.

#58 why cant you copy and paste an ip into the game? It would make joining friends ALOT easier!

it's a good idea and we'll add it to the next patch wishlist

#61 do you think it is real to expect players to play 20000 hours for a war

The original targets for the unlocks / awards were based on actual BF1942 data. Crazy though it might sound, there are people out there with those kinds of numbers. However we have tweaked the values a little, so you should be able to see a difference in the new patch.

#62 Hi! Just wanna tell you that i love how the maps are designed. Are you gonna add a new map in the next patch or soon?

I bet a lot of you know already, but you should prepare to return to a certain South Pacific island in the future...

#63 Any plans for a linux client? And what would need to happen before you consider one?

A lot more potential custumers would need to start using linux.

We've made some changes in the collision system to prevent these kind of problems. A lot of the problem objects that have caused vehicles to instantly explode have been worked on and you can now get pushed around by slow vehicles without dying so easily. This should prevent a lot of the unintentional TKing that we all hate also makes it a bit more stable to stand on top of slow-moving vehicles...

Cool.

TK wise we have made some changes that should reduce the number of accidental TKs. Such as the vehicle collison system that was mentioned earlier. 'Dolphin Diving' does look pretty wierd, i agree, we are keeping an eye on this issue and may address it in an upcoming patch

That didn't sound to promising for stopping bunny hopping.

We fixed some performance problems and made some changes that make server status display more accurate.

#16 what are the main fixes in this patch?

I think one of the more popular ones will be that players have to get out of a Blackhawk to capture a flag. Now in a full Blackhawk only the pilot counts in the flag capture raduis.

APPLAUSE!!!!

#35 In the new patch, can a person chance nickname, or maybe just clan tag! ?

You will ba able to add a 6 character prefix

WOOT!!! Shame alot of folks already have their tag prefix included in their profile though.

#36 Are the anti-tank bazookas gonna be improved, it's quite hard to shoot tank 4times so that he can exit the tank and kill you with m4

If you make direct hits to the rear or top of the tank, it will be just about toast in 2 hits.

"Just about"? What they mean is "3 hits minimum", which in real terms means 4 hits, which is the original question. :wall:

I can't wait for this:

Points for Destroying Command Objects - players now receive points for destroying the commander's toys. Special Forces players rejoice!

I do that just for the fun of it, which means I'm ready to rack up those points!

I can't wait for this:

Points for Destroying Command Objects - players now receive points for destroying the commander's toys. Special Forces players rejoice!

I do that just for the fun of it, which means I'm ready to rack up those points!

Okay n00b question - what exactly does that mean?