1 mile run

cdnsniper

I was just wondering what a good time for a one mile run would be. I'm just asking this because a couple times over at a friends housewe would realize that the place we rent movies from, buy pop/chips from, is like 10 minutes from closing and we need to haul ass to get there in time. I'm not sure how far it is exactly from his house to the place but it's in the range of one mile. I just want to know if doing the run in 2:30 is good. I like to think it is, especially when I tell my friends that they are all lazy asses and couldn't run if their life depended on it. :thumbsup:

Back when I was in the Marines, I used to run the 3 mile PFT run in just over 21 minutes. That translates to 7+ minute runs. the world record for the mile is 3:43:13 by Hicham El Guerrouj in 1999. If you can run a mile in 2 minutes and 30 seconds, you should try a track meet and set the record.

Leave for the video store earlier.

I ran a mile in 8 something mins, it was a full run never stopped once. I think i was running to the video store before it was closing with my friend.

Id think if your not that in shape you might not make it, and the fact sometimes if the closing time is say 11pm the people working might lock the doors at 10:45 if no ones coming.

Okay then, I suppose either my watch was wrong (or maybe I just can't read them), or my mother (she thinks its one mile and my dad thinks its just under a mile) . I don't think I'm that fast. If the records 3:43 then I'm going to say I'm more close to 5 lol. Thanks for the replies guys.

P.S: I try to convince my friends to go sooner but I enjoy running so I usually say, "hey, we should go soon. Don't you think? No, okay." :P

A 6 minute mile is a good time. That's a steady paced full blown run.

The average, in shape, person can do it in about 7 minutes.

Then, there are freaks, like I guy I used to know, that ran it in 5:20 in the 8th grade, lol.

My best time is about 6:30 (I want to say 6:17, but I'm not sure). Now, I'm lucky if I do it in 9, lol.

Now when you run those times, did your arms go numb? Cause when I run nearly as fast as my sprint for a prolonged amount of time my arms tend to go numb. I'm thinking my lungs can't pump the blood to my arms fast enough. Think I should slow it down? :P

Last PFT I did back in April I ran 1.5 miles in 8:50. Still shooting for the max-out at 8:15. But yeah, 6 minutes for a mile is a good pace. For longer distance something in the 7-8 minute mile pace is not bad.

Whiteknight-the Marine Officer Instructor at my unit typically runs our 1.5 mile with us each semester, and he smokes every last one of us (except for the Sub LT that just left us, man that LT could run). The CO of my unit (a Navy O-6 probably in his mid 50's) also usually beats about 85-90% of the people in my unit and likes to run marathons for fun. :rofl:

C

Now when you run those times, did your arms go numb? Cause when I run nearly as fast as my sprint for a prolonged amount of time my arms tend to go numb. I'm thinking my lungs can't pump the blood to my arms fast enough. Think I should slow it down? :P

Your heart is pumping a larger percentage of oxygenated blood to your leg muscles, since their doing all the work. Other parts have to suffer e.g. the arms.

I was told that unless your sprinting over short distances, then pumping the arms is relatively inefficient when running.

Best time 7:15 and I still think the marker was too generous.