Mandatory Evacuations

WhiteKnight77

Every year, during hurricane season, there are mandatory evacuation notices given by state and local governments yet many people feel the need to stick around. these people need to have their head examined. They need to be committed to the psych ward and thourghly checked out if you aske me. If someone doesn't leave, the police should at least get next of kin notifications, especially from those who live on barrier islands (why did they buiild on one to begin with) that will be flooded out within minutes.

With Dennis, the expected storm surge is 19 feet. Barrier islands rarely top that and houses will be completely underwater from the surge and if high tide, it will be even worse. Think of those who lost their lives in Southeast Asia to the tsunami. You can't beat the rush of water over your house much less stop it.

I think you are a fool for not leaving if told to do so and not wrapped to tight upstairs. Your loved ones do not deserve to be put through the stress of planning a funeral for you after the storm passes should you not survive. You are selfish for not leaving.

I don't think this rant applies to anyone here, but hopefully, if you are ever in a storms path, you get as far away as possible. Your house and possesions don't mean as much as your life or loved ones.

:rant:

I have a home in Fort Walton & Navarre... neither on the water side, but still may/will get damaged. Hope not too bad (fingers crossed). I won't own a house on a 'Barrier Island' cause I figured they named them that for a reason. :P

My wife & friends all evacuated early, heck I told them to leave BEFORE the thing started battering Cuba. (I'm working in Colombia... Contractor... so all i can do is watch news reports & pray)... anywho...

There are alot of reasons some don't leave:

-stupidity, they have the means to go but stay cause they've been lucky before or just so dumb they throw a party.

-no where to go... I know.. I know... shelter... you ever been in one? Sux is putting it mildly... but they are good for some.

- Alot of folks just don't have the funds, all they know is the home they have & are sometimes older & set in ways.. stubborn.

- I think the dumbest ones are the news agencies that flock to these things... and film themselves getting blown around.. ok, we get it... wind/rain/bad.

I wish all those that stay, the best of luck... but I'm one of those that truly feels getting out is the best way to go... if you can, & have a place to go... or leave early & drive as far as it takes to find a place.

We can rebuild houses.

The one that I just couldn't believe... was during Ivan 10 months ago (I was with my family for that one, and we drove north early to escape).... there was a truck driver who tried to drive over the I10 bridge DURING the hurricane... the bridge collapsed & he died.

I'm sorry... but HELLO!!!... is it worth it to even be driving... wait... NOOOOO!!!!

God Speed to all in the storm's path! :thumbsup:

Every year, during hurricane season, there are mandatory evacuation notices given by state and local governments yet many people feel the need to stick around. these people need to have their head examined. They need to be committed to the psych ward and thourghly checked out if you aske me. If someone doesn't leave, the police should at least get next of kin notifications, especially from those who live on barrier islands (why did they buiild on one to begin with) that will be flooded out within minutes.

With Dennis, the expected storm surge is 19 feet. Barrier islands rarely top that and houses will be completely underwater from the surge and if high tide, it will be even worse. Think of those who lost their lives in Southeast Asia to the tsunami. You can't beat the rush of water over your house much less stop it.

I think you are a fool for not leaving if told to do so and not wrapped to tight upstairs. Your loved ones do not deserve to be put through the stress of planning a funeral for you after the storm passes should you not survive. You are selfish for not leaving.

I don't think this rant applies to anyone here, but hopefully, if you are ever in a storms path, you get as far away as possible. Your house and possesions don't mean as much as your life or loved ones.

:rant:

I guess some people are just thick. Happens here too. People who live near a river or a flood canal. No matter how many times the government warns them and tells them to move, they won't. And when the rain season comes, their houses are flooded, and they all scream at how the government is not doing enough to help them.

Out.

There's a false sense of hope that if you stay with your home, you might beable to save it. I guess people think they'd rather be there trying and sau "It didn't go down without a fight." rather than say "It went down, and I ran my scared butt away."

It's an obnoxious mentality that we have, we're too protective of our "things". A house is a house, it's a thing. People who live out in those areas should have insurance for that reason, so they can leave their house and still ahve it protected.

Then again, an uncle of mine lives on the coast and stays. He feels safer in his big brick house than on the road with the thousands of idiot drivers scarmbling to leave. He's stayed during several hurricanse over the past decade and has flooded once (while he was gone).

My dad went down to Florida yesterday to get my great-grandmother, and then yesterday afternoon/night my uncle brought himself and his two kids up from Mobile. We were never able to convince my granddad that he and my grandmother need to come up as well, so they are sitting down there weathering it out. And yes, he is very stubborn.

C

I've never been to Florida and my wife raves about the place.....even though she went once as a child :rolleyes: Great beaches, Disneyworld etc. etc., yes, but the only news I really hear and see about the State is bad weather news. I've met two elderly couples in the last month, who are orginally from Kentucky and have lived in Florida for years. They've just moved back here because of the Florida hurricanes. They're sick of the damage, the worry and the car and home insurance.

I have to say that I wouldn't take notice of those signs, because I wouldn't be living in the State of Florida :P

DS

Thanks WK! :)

All is well with my family/friends... seems most did ok.

I think we got lucky in both where it hit & how fast it was moving. Ivan sat & churned... Dennis hit & ran.

Dennis weakened slightly before hitting... entered the bay area ( less inhabited) and weakened more.

If it had hit 20 miles west, Pensacola would have faired worse... same thing, our new house may have not done as well if Dennis had moved 20 miles east.

Many feel blessed.. I know we do!

No damage at both houses (New & old)... I expected some in Navarre (New), especially when I heard Navarre Beach recorded sustained 99mph w/gust to 121. :o=

Heck, my wife returned & power was restored already in the old house. :thumbsup:

Who knows... the next one may wipe everything out... or, there may not be another for many years.

I told my wife, we need to buy some cheap land in the middle of nowhere Alabama or Georgia & build a storm bunker... someplace for all our friends to run to.... ofcouse it would be "stocked" for a good ole Hurricane PARTY!!!! :thumbsup::yes::thumbsup: