Radeon 9800 Pro Released

RooK

:rocky: I've been waiting for this card. Me thinks that the 256MB version will be my "back to school" purchase.

I've been an nVidia fan for a while, and I've never used an ATI card either, but perhaps I shall become a convert. :rolleyes: However, the original GF4 Ti line was a very good move by nVidia, especially the 4200 cards. Extremely popular with consumers. Furthermore, ATI seems to be falling into the nVidia PR rating with their cards, re-releasing the 9000 in 8X to be 9200? Just like the 4800 is a 4600 with 8X technology. I expected more from ATI. <_<

I was hoping the GF FX would be a better performer, but I think ATI has this stage won hands down. Perhaps nVidia will release better drivers for their new flagship, and will rival 9800 perfomance. :huh:

Nice benches too. And those are with the Beta drivers for the 9800PRO. :)

Thanks RooK.

Dark Ranger, unfortunately for Nvidia, their card isn't that grand. Its trying to compete with high-clock speed ram and chip compared to architecture and bandwidth. Fact is, if Ati slapped a better gpu/ram on their card, it would go even faster. The Nvidia card is bandwidth limited by its own design. I think they were planning on Ati not being able to squeeze 400mhz out of the 9700 core. Perhaps they have a 256bit brethren in the oven...

Either that 9800 pro or 9700 pro will be my next card. FX looks enticing, but ATI just looks to be gaining ground in the VPU race and isn't looking back. Whatever Nvidia releases, ATI will counter and their 9700 has proved almost as good in some areas as the FX. It seems like a much better investment instead of buying an Fx.