Ghost Recon.net Forums

Actually...Thats the way the night vision goggles I believe are meant to be in game...Night Vision with thermal...But it's not a very advanced design for the game...Just something to get us by...btw...With Jack's night vision it's almost not worth using nightvision in game...lol...I would rather take my chances without it...Back to vietnam I guess...lol...

In reality, NVGs receive infrared spectrum radiation (light), this in on a lower wavelength than we can see; as I understand it, wavelengths near to what we can see (high wavelength infrared) behave vary similarly to visible light, while lower wavelength radiation is much different, low wavelength infrared radiation is given off by hot objects.

In theory if you make a scope that receives radiation from a medium wavelength you will get a similar to reality picture, but with hot objects brighter, and this would be people – or metal or concrete. GR doesn’t do a great job at depicting this, but RS is rather good.

CLARK

I am far from an expert on the subject but I thought that there were 2 types of goggles:

infrared, that as viper mentioned catch the infrared band of light and with which you would see hot bodies glow in the dark

light-enhancers that work off normal light but through electronic devices, capture that little light they can get from the outside, amplify it and show it on displays close to your eyes.

Darkness is not really dark... there's just not enough light for us to see. Cats and dogs can see almost like it's daylight... cause their eyes are adapted to work with very little light... true that they are color blind (the 2 things are linked togheter) and IIRC the light enhancing goggles are only BW.

As I understand there are 2 types of NVGs. One is photon amplification, it takes the light that you just can't see and amplifies it, they use green for that because its the color that the human eye can see the best. The second uses the waves that come from heat and translates it into visible light, thats the black and white one. Theres a third in development that actually mixes the two making a perfectly clear picture that isn't so greeny.

As Yodasplat and S-B said there are also light amplifiers, these simply take ambient light and magnify it to levels that are normal for us. You can also have an Imaging Infrared (IIR) that “sees” IR radiation, this works in the way I already described, but you can have devices that receive radiation from various wavelengths, from high wavelength that look just like light amplifiers to low wavelength that only see heat – the type you can see through walls with – but be careful with these because it distorts reality, for example something that is the exact same temperature as its surroundings would be completely invisible.

I am not an expert, but have read up on some of this stuff

CLARK