Thoughts on Raven Shield

jsonedecker

Would you be able to use a Tom Clancy storyline, or does Redstorm hold all the rights to those? I began reading Rainbow Six after I bought the game and I was not able to put the book down...finished it in 3 days. Thats what the next Tac Sim needs...a good story line/book to base it off of.

Ask Parabellum to read the story line behind DYNACOMP...I thought he did a great job on that one.

If I could find the whole draft, I'd post it. I'm in the process of finding little tidbits now as I prepare to close the site.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As somebody who's been modding RedStorm games for a lot of years, I can't say I've played a game from RSE that was as engaging as Urban Ops was. Since that, it seems like the franchise has lost it's way.

I agree with my team mate Cobra, it's all about the story before anything else. When RB6 was written, middle eastern terrorism wasn't at the forefront of people's minds, but now it is.

Look at the example of America's Army. I myself being a hardcore "reticule only" RB6 type player thought I'd hate the visible gun and the stereotypical FPS look. But I ended up loving AA, and feeling lukewarm about RVS. They're both Unreal based, but vastly different. RVS's online play felt clunky, like an add-on. Sp play felt familiar, like the older RB6 titles, but somehow didn't manage to immerse me the same way, even with the better visuals. It doesn't have that hectic feel of the old RS/UO.

I don't think anybody will argue, especially in this forum, that the reason for RVS's comparatively shorter lifespan is it's lack of MOD suooprt! Modders can correct the things about a game that will increase the playability. Look how long we stretched the Rogue Spear series, and yet the sequel left us out in the cold. Some would even argue that Black Thorn was just a glorified mod... and look how long we've kept Ghost Recon alive.

Missions alone won't cut it. Unreal is fully moddable, Half-Life is fully moddable, those are the engine frontrunners, it should be a no-brainer. My team has been waiting for RSE to come through with something we can do some work for, just like the "old days". The arms room's getting dusty!

Missions alone won't cut it. Unreal is fully moddable, Half-Life is fully moddable, those are the engine frontrunners, it should be a no-brainer. My team has been waiting for RSE to come through with something we can do some work for, just like the "old days". The arms room's getting dusty!

With all the mods from Unreal and HL2, and the buzz that it generates online and offline, can always be good to the bottomline. Release the SDK so DTD TEAM could start modding it already. I'm still waiting for the SWAT mod. These mod teams are NOT trying to belittle the RSE team, their honoring them.

Again, the ONLY THING I didn't I thought was missing was the replay. I only played MP LAN with 2 ppl and that was fun on small maps.

Need something like UO. Eagle watch was unique with the space shuttle. That was genius. Get points for that.

:yes:

Sometimes in RS/UO when a team I wasn't controlling was holding or waiting for a go code they would just die somehow (maybe my planning sucked), that "OH CRAP!" effect didn't really exist in RvS. It was like that too in MP to an extent, RvS MP was so predictable. The only real challenges were self imposed, like everyone deciding to go pistols only or something.

Also weapon implementation was horrible, theres obviously a reason everyone always used the L85 or G36K. I've seen someone take 283 shots from a P90 to center mass before dying (it was like 76 or something before being wounded).

Another thing I hate which is not really RvS specific is being able to run while zoomed in. How realistic is that?

Some MP specific points (survival mostly): RvS was so devoid of tactics, it was always just who had a faster mouse or was luckier. There was zero stealth. Map and spawn point design were so bad, you either went one way or the other and might encounter the other team, if you didn't then you would go to the other direction and open fire cause they will be there.