the best game on the planet

the.ronin

dunno if anyone else is following world cup qualifying but the u.s. aint doin too shabby ... we lost 2-1 to arch rival mexico but, granted, that was their turf. next match is against panama in salt lake city on the 4th of june ... we've got that in the bag. currently, the u.s. ranked a tight second (to el tres colores arch rival) making it a good bet we'll be heading off to germany in the 2006 world cup. w00t.

i found an old fansite i put together for a few of us who closely watched the 2002 can of wup hass in korea ... it looks more like a shell website now but i encourage you to peruse through it and get to know this greatest sport ever to grace the planet ...

sams brigade

I was quite impressed with the USA performance against England last week. Granted we didn't have anything close to a full strength team, the US certainly deserved to win.

Best of luck in the qualifiers! :rocky:

holy cow, a response!!!

yes, avery, so was i ... granted it was just a friendly so i doubt england was playing to their full strength either.

i cant wait for the next match against mexico ... this time it will be on our turf ... click here for a nice take on the historic rivalry.

holy cow, a response!!!

yes, avery, so was i ... granted it was just a friendly so i doubt england was playing to their full strength either.

i cant wait for the next match against mexico ... this time it will be on our turf ... click here for a nice take on the historic rivalry.

Quite an interesting read. :thumbsup: One thing the US hasn't got used to yet is football violence. I think this match would be a brilliant stage for some hooliganism. :shifty:;)

:) You wouldn't believe this, but I was actually wondering about this just yesterday. I saw a videogame review for a soccer (football) game and started thinking about the World Cup.

I do enjoy watching some of the games (especially the US ones and the semi/finals), although thanks to the whole time zones thing some of the games are at crazy hours here.

Thanks for the update and I can't wait until 2006... :thumbsup:

Soccer. Yawn.

It's the biggest game on the planet...yawn that :P

I think the US had a nice team back in '94 (obviously the team been sponsored big time since they organised it themselves) but quality kinda dropped after that.

Some individual players made it into the bigger leagues in Europe lately so I could expect them to see qualify for 2006.

I haven't seen them play though and I have no clue what their quality is right now.

I remember the US introducing the "medic-quad" and the pink uniform for referees in WC'94...that was a hoot :rofl:

The last game I saw was when Liverpool beat AC Milan for Champions Cup. Now THAT was a great game. Congrats to Liverpool. So what's been going on? Been without a TV since that game. Heard Japan went through, but nothing else.

I agree that the US team is doing fine. But the US team has never been shabby at all. For you guys in the US, do you guys watch the..err..National Soccer League (?) at all? How are the games? Don't have any coverage of that here, so I'm curious.

Out.

• 2 months later...

ok happy campers ... the us mint (thats mens national team to you and me) goes mano a mano against concacaf rival el tres colores this saturday 19.30 EST ... HOME BABY!! clapping.gif

da info

and lest we forget how badly our asses got handed to us in azteca ... this is our time for vengance, homey new_russian.gif

and for the plebians unawares, a bit of background candy to get the futbol juices flowin ...

Truly, even casual soccer fans recognize the rivalry between two of the CONCACAF superpowers, the United States and Mexico. These two nations not only share a geographical border, but they now share a soccer league with the addition of Chivas USA to Major League Soccer, and in many cases of Mexican-American individuals, the national teams share the allegiances of fans as well.

In the past decade, the rivalry between the United States and Mexico has gotten a lot more intense. Some of it has to do with on-field results like the 2002 World Cup, and some has to do with the politics of the day. When it gets down to it, like rival high schools or colleges, it is simply sweet for one team to have bragging rights over the other until the next time they meet.

"There's always an added level of intensity when playing against Mexico," said U.S. forward Landon Donovan. "For some reason we just don't like each other and we love to beat each other. It's pretty simple."

and if that didnt get your attention ...

hottie1.jpgVS. hottie6.jpg

giddy up!!!! donq.gif

our english footballers have a habit of not playing well during friendlies, and they get paid over £200,000 a week to do that? nothing but overpaid losers, litteraly, serious pay cut shud be considered, even our cricket and rugby teams who get paid alot less actually win things, big things not just single matches

... they get paid over £200,000 a week ...

holy buckingham palaces, batman! that's about $360k in current xchange rates ... our highest paid players here in the u.s. hardly make that in three months!

yup, our players are seriously overpaid for like 1 game a week and the occasional new haircut, they pay over £14 millionjust to transfer these blokes between clubs, waste of money

my evil scheme: take 90% of football players wages and club transfers and put them into public taxes, the public wud never have to pay taxes again

Edited by spearhead

the shot heard round the world ...

June 17, 2002: As luck would have it, the two CONCACAF teams to survive group play at the 2002 World Cup were pitted against one another in a second-round battle at Jeonju (Korea) World Cup Stadium. Mexico was a heavy favorite to end the United States' visit to Asia and had an additional day of rest on the Americans, having played their final group match on the 13th as opposed to the 14th for the US. The US' propensity for early goals reared its head. Claudio Reyna took advantage of a quick restart by streaking down the right side of the field with the ball. Reyna sent a low cross to Josh Wolff on the endline, who centered the ball for Brian McBride to shoot into a wide-open net. Eight minutes in and El Tri was down 1-0. A lucky break came the US' way in the 57th minute, when a ball punched out of the air in the penalty area by O'Brien was not deemed a foul. As Mexico began pressing numbers forward, the Americans put together a second score as O'Brien found Eddie Lewis darting down the left flank with a perfectly-weighted pass. Lewis one-touched a pass across the goalmouth, which Landon Donovan headed into the goal. With the match in hand, tempers began to flare on the Mexican side. Rafael Marquez was sent off late in the match for head-butting Cobi Jones. The 2-0 victory for the United States sent them onto the quarterfinals to face eventual finalist Germany and marked an official shift in the pecking order of CONCACAF. On the biggest stage of all, between the two foremost nations of the region, the US came out victorious.

la revancha en la cancha (revenge on the field) ...

May 8, 2003: Reliant Stadium in Houston, TX hosted the first match-up between the US and Mexico following the World Cup. Coined La Revancha en la Cancha (Revenge On The Field) by the Mexican press, El Tri was out for blood and payback for their stunning loss at the hands of the Americans in Jeonju. Ricardo LaVolpe, backup goalkeeper for 1978 World Cup champion Argentina, had taken over the Mexican National Team following the 2002 World Cup and would face Arena for the first time wanting nothing more than to restore his adopted country's pride within CONCACAF. In front of almost 70,000 fans, the two powerhouses played to a 0-0 tie. Bright spots for the US were Bobby Convey, DaMarcus Beasley, and goalkeeper Tim Howard, who rode this night's performance along with solid league play to a lucrative transfer to Manchester United in the English Premier League.

stoppage time in the cotton bowl...

April 28, 2004: With revenge still on the minds of Mexico, the two teams met at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX in a friendly as both nations began preparations for World Cup qualifying. Bruce Arena experimented in this match, sending out several players with limited international experience as a final audition before a two-leg total-goals series with Grenada in mid-June. The 2000 Olympic team strike partnership of Conor Casey and Josh Wolff began the match up top for the US, with Casey proving to be the more dangerous option as noted by a slide tackle on goalkeeper Oswaldo Sanchez that drew him a yellow card. Despite dominating the match, another scoreless draw neared completion until, in the third minute of stoppage time, Bobby Convey sent in a free kick from the right side of the penalty area to Taylor Twellman, whose header was saved by Sanchez. The rebound fell to the feet of Eddie Pope, who poked the ball into the net to give the US a 1-0 victory and its fourth successive shutout of El Tri.

mexico wants flare on saturday

"If we don't attack and play differently, people are going to say, 'Ugh, the team sure played ugly,'" Borgetti was quoted as telling the sports daily Record. "Winning's no fun that way, so we have to play like we always have."

... the United States, hosting this weekend's match in Columbus, Ohio, hasn't lost to Mexico in a Cup qualifier at home since 1972.

WE'RE GOING TO GERMANY!!!!

WASHINGTON, DC (Sept. 3, 2005) USSoccerPlayers - The US National Team gave Sam's Army reason to sing on Saturday night, qualifying for their fifth consecutive World Cup finals with a 2-0 win over perennial rivals Mexico. In the end, no math formulas or scoreboard watching was necessary for the United States, taking advantage of the clearest route and using the head-to-head with the group leaders to make it out of the CONCACAF zone. No last day heroics needed this time, just the result they needed.

205pw.jpg

i'd like to personally thank the citizens of mexico for not kicking my ass and the staff of tj brewery for not spitting in my beer during this joyous occassion.