Pc starting slow

1madcow

I am having a problem with my pc. I recently downloaded some anti viris programs and defraged for the first time in a year. What I was intending on doing was to clean things up a bit. However when I start up it takes almost 10 minutes for me to get to my main screen. Usually when its loading I hear my Pc crunching like it usually does. Now it crunches for a few then stops and then starts. I have run al sorts of spyware programs ,cleaners, and adaware . nothing seems to fix it.any suggestions on what the problem may be ? thanks :huh:

Try going to run and type in "msconfig", it will show you the various items that startup. Some of them you need and some of them aren't really necessary, it's just that some programs like quicktime for example like to startup and be in the taskbar. It could also be a DNS resolution issue that times out. I'm sure someone else has a better suggestion.

I'd suggest using msconfig too.

Start> Run

type msconfig

select the startup menu

select deselect all

restart

If you PC starts up quickly and desktop is available in under 90 seconds then your PC is fine, but somehting in the startup is delaying your launch.

Go back to msconfig, select one or two items to start at startup (your firewall and AV to begin with) and restart again, check the time.

Repeat this process adding the rest of your startup items 2 at a time until you figure out which one is causing the delay.

Doesn't Windows require some stuff left "activated" in the tart up menu in order to start properly?

Windows XP (and to my knowledge, only XP) treats the startup items found via msconfig as completely optional. The computer will boot just fine with all the startup items deselected.