[Got it and it's great]

Wow. I am very impressed. The graphics are amazing and the AI is pretty darn good. I wish there were more weapons though. The silenced submachine gun w/FMJ ammo is probably the best weapon IMO. Some of the missions are very difficult. Whoever did the level design, modeling, and animation needs to be given a pat on the back. Also the sound is excellent. Some of the levels are very scary. In one, there's a serial killer with hostages in a house and as you go through you can hear the mother pleading on the TV news to let her daughter go. Very scary. I wish I could play multiplayer. Co-op sounds awesome and if the Mod support is as good as they say it will be this will have a ton of replay value. I have a couple of grips such as the snipers. You can control them and they tell you if they see any suspects or hostages but I wish you could give them an all clear and shoot on sight. Also, when non-lethal weapons are used by your squadmates they don't use them unless the suspect is threatening. I mean come on, if you have a non-lethal weapon, use it! Shoot em a couple times just in case. By in large they do a good job of throwing gas/flashbangs/stingers and clearing. It seemed to be a lot better than the demo for some reason. If you like tactical games get this one. Anyone else get it? :)

Edited by firefly2442

• 2 weeks later...
I wish I could play multiplayer.  Co-op sounds awesome and if the Mod support is as good as they say it will be this will have a ton of replay value. 

We played this at a LAN meet last week with about 8 guys. At first there where a lot of complaints about the slow movement (you can't really run) but after a while it became apparent that this is a deliberate ploy by the devs to slow down gameplay. It quickly becomes a game of stealth and ambush. By nights end everyone agreed it was the most refreshing MP game we had played in ages.

A little example. With two guys working together, one wedges the door (so it can't be opened normally) and then mirrors it while the other places a C4 charge on it. You can guess the rest.....very satisfying :devil:

On most of the maps that we got to try, 8 players turned out to be a good number - if you had many more it would become more of a traditional deathmath I feel.

Now that someone has found a way to increase coop from 5 to 10 players we will be able to give that a run next time.

Can you use the less than lethal weapons in MP?

Yes indeed! In fact the Taser was used to great excess during our games, usually at my expense :wacko: and much to the amusement of all and sundry.

I had my revenge with the Stinger grenades however :devil:

:) We've also been playing some co-op on our dedi over at TGP and having an absolute blast.

The randomness is refreshing and I still get surprised by enemies who fake surrendering and then change their minds and open fire!

We have had a few small MP issues, but nothing we can't deal with.

This is a great game for tactics, teamwork, and especially the player that likes to plan things out...

I hope the MOD community gets working on some new maps. There is nothing better than trying to navigate a new map.

No no.  I guess I was just surprised how fast it went from $50 to $40 dollars.  If you don't like the demo then I guess I would suggest waiting until/if they release more modding tools.  I think it's a good buy for anybody once it hits the bargain bin.  What did you not like about the demo?

Things I don't like about the SWAT 4 demo, at this point in time:

- The clunky SWAT player models

- Poorly implemented Taser

- The extreme... 'use of force' model. You pretty much have to wait until the suspects shoot at you to use deadly force

- The lack of at least some blood

I'm still up in the air about the slow movement. I can understand why it was implemented, I guess.

Things I don't like about the SWAT 4 demo, at this point in time:

- The clunky SWAT player models

- Poorly implemented Taser

- The extreme... 'use of force' model.  You pretty much have to wait until the suspects shoot at you to use deadly force

- The lack of at least some blood

I'm still up in the air about the slow movement.  I can understand why it was implemented, I guess.

i did play the sp-demo before buying the retail. i have to say, that the demo was buggy as hell. the quality of the retail is far better. nevertheless not bug-free. ;)

- the player and npc models are imo rich in detail, but move a bit arkward, thats true. a more fluent movement (like even in good old gr its better) would be nicer. but its ok with me.

- whats with the taser? dunno about the demo, but i like it in the retail. if you're using deadly weapons for primary, get yourself a taser for suspects and/or civilians who are not willing to comply. *bzzzzzz* and they're much more cooperative. :lol:

- use of force model: thats the one and only game which has this. i like it very much. running around and killing people....you can do that in every other game. this is a police simulation. the suspects are meant to be interrrogated afterwards.

i'm using the ltl-weapons nearly every time. its a great challenge to get the suspects restrained without hurting anyone. but its also a lot of fun and adds to the replayability

- slow movement: it takes some time to get used to it, but after some time it doesn't feel that slow at all. normally i sneak (i.e. walk) through the levels. when entering/clearing a room i switch to running. the speed is imo fast enough. if you were running faster the ret would bloom to the edges of the screen. whats the use of that?

- some notes:

the game is very challenging. even on "normal". you need 50 out of 100 points to complete the mission. kill all the suspects and you will not finish the level with 50 points. kill more than one suspect on sight without yelling at him to comply and you'll probably will not finish the mission with 50 points.

i like that. several missions i had to try 15 times before even completing it.

for every level you need a different approach. suspects/hostages do not have fix spawn points. play the mission again and none of the npcs will be at the same location as the time before. all of the npcs have a "moral"-system. this implemented moral determines if the are going to comply or never ever. some you have to hit very hard before they'll do. some comply at sight. some will run away, just like in real life.

minor prob: when they complied they will stay so until you restrain them. normally one would expect, that they will try to escape once you're out of the room without cuffing them. but they don't. sad. but could be fixed in a patch....i think.

the atmosphere is great! i read somewhere that the level designers watched some movies like "se7en" and "silence of the lambs". and you certainly notice that! creepy, dynamic music and sound effects. moaning hostages, bloody walls, gritty dark lit rooms, etc etc. you got to play those levels alone in complete darkness...its almost like a horror experience. :ph34r:

you can see easily that i'm a great fan of the game. it's the best fps i played for years. if you're more run'n gun, thats not your type of game, thats for shure. if you like law enforcement-shooters with a good challenge and you're willing to give the best to complete the mission, its worth a closer look!

This game is a masterpiece of trying to stay focused on a task while you are constantly being assaulted both mentally and physically...

Best money that I've spent on a game in awhile...

fully agree, mate! :thumbsup: finished the level yesterday. that was a long way......finished with 87 points. :rocky: too bad two of my officers got killed in the last room i've cleared, which was the cellar. 4 suspects, 2 civilians and only one entry point. :(

i play with ltl-shotgun all the way until this level. the a.i.-officers however are too stupid to wield this weapon. normally when i enter a room and spot a suspect i yell at him to comply. if he's not complying he can talk to my shotgun. normally they surrender then. if not they get another load of beanbags. :lol: just yesterday i had one guy who took 4 hits with beanbags and didn't want to comply at all. got my glock out and dropped him :o= ....stupid follower.

A tactic that works sometimes is to have all your guys w/bean bag shotguns use CS on a room. Let them go in and then you go in last w/Tazer ready. Any suspects coughing get Tazered by you and then they will probably surrender. It's either that or you go in first with the beanbag shotgun and shoot anything you see. This way you maximize your chances of taking someone alive and you try not to lose any of your own guys. This will get you the best score. I've gotten 100's on the first four or five missions. It gets progressively harder however. When I play for fun I usually take the non-silenced submachine gun. The three round burst pretty much drops anybody.

I'll add a quick reply by saying this is the new bar in gaming for tactical shooters. It offers a remarkable array of tools. The scenario editor and natural randomization of enemies adds immeasurably to the value of the title. The highest compliment I can pay to this title is that real tactics work.

A short note about the movement speeds in the game. Real room entry is controlled and not a helter skelter dash through the doorway. Speeds could be increased a little but on the whole this title, as with it's predecessor, will stand for some time.