Company of Heroes

firefly2442

Yeah, I saw that. Although they touted it as a strategy guide, it was more just an explanation of a battle and all the cool stuff that went down. While exciting, I didn't think there was a whole lot of strategy involved. It certainly was entertaining to read though... :D

Edited by firefly2442

Hey, i've been checking out the demo of this game. Damn it's cool. I just keep getting my butt handed to me in skirmish mode. Anyone have any general stategy/tips for this game? I'd like to figure it out a little before actually purchasing the full game. I'm familiar with the similar playstyle of Dawn of War with regards to nabbing as many strategic points as fast as you can but I find that the same tactics don't work quite as well in this game. How valuable do building defenses actually become and how does taking advantage of cover really help you out?

Cover is very important and strategy is also very important. I usualy push forward as mush as I can and build a defensive line close to the enemy. Defending a narrow path is usualy good and I make sure the enemy can't get pass my defences and cut my income.

When I play as USA - airborne, I usualy create a lot of infantry/paratroopers and research stickybombs. That way I can take out enemy vehicles, get inside buildings and take over strategy points. Infantry is also quite cheap compared to tanks ;)

I usually try to rush as much as possible in the skirmish. Try building a sniper and send him out to pick off enemy squads taking capture points. Also, getting all the way through the build tree to vehicles quickly helps. If your enemy only has troops and suddenly you roll in with a tank and they're not ready...

Good luck. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Pentium 4 2.40 GHz Northwood

1 GB RAM

GeForce 6600 GT AGP

Somewhere around the latest drivers (Theyre buggy if they arent supporting some cards)

Might have to upgrade before i play this. (I will admit I should, but we all know how extra low income jobs go.)

I just bought it and installed before i had to go off for a flight. Great cinematics at the start and fun tutorials. I only took a glimpse at mission one but from the tutorials i can tell I`m gonna love it. I`m not a big RTS fan. I played Warcraft II back when there was not much else but between that and Shogun every game seemed like a WC copycat. Shogun was the first RTS I really loved because of the tactical depth but I still found WCIII and Warhammer 40,000 demos to be too Old shcool. So I haven`t actaully bought an RTS since medieval*Total war like 4 years ago. COH is the first modern war RTS to really grab me.

My sytem specs are an AMD 64 Dual core 2.4 with a pair of 7900GTX cards so it looks amazing at top graphic settings too.