Best free zip tool these days?

Rocky

7-Zip

Don't let the "Click to buy" button fool you -it's only for donations. Freeware, handles everything I've come across, adds a right-click context to extract/add-to-archive. It is perfect.

Unpacks Zip, Gzip, Tar, Bzip2, Rar, Cab, Arj, Cpio, Rpm, Deb and Split files and allows you to create Zip, Gzip, Tar and Bzip2 files easily, not to mention it's own 7z (?)format with full control over compression etc...

Highly reccomended.

Edited by Old_Geezer

7-Zip

Don't let the "Click to buy" button fool you -it's only for donations. Freeware, handles everything I've come across, adds a right-click context to extract/add-to-archive. It is perfect.

Unpacks  Zip, Gzip, Tar, Bzip2, Rar, Cab, Arj, Cpio, Rpm,  Deb and Split files and allows you to create Zip, Gzip, Tar and Bzip2 files easily, not to mention it's own 7z (?)format with full control over compression etc...

Highly reccomended.

Looks good too, I'll try them out for a week each.

• 1 month later...
WinRAR is still the best, IMO.

It recognizes all compression formats, and has options up the wazzoo, as well as right click speedy options.

It's a pay product though right? What does the trial do - is it time limited/feature limited/or nag screen?

From the Powerarchiver site

Q: When did PowerArchiver become shareware?

A: PowerArchiver has been shareware since version 7.0. We could not support the program by simple advertising on our Web site, and had to make PowerArchiver shareware. Now, we have team of dedicated people working every day on new versions of PowerArchiver, making sure PowerArchiver is the best compression utility on the market.

Good grief you're right! :o

It's a pay product though right? What does the trial do - is it time limited/feature limited/or nag screen?

From c|net download.com

Publisher:  RARLAB

Date added:  January 6, 2005

License:  Free to try; $29.00 to buy

Minimum requirements:  Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP

Limitations:  40-day trial, some features disabled

It listed as a 40 day trial, with some features disabled? Is that not the case? Are the disabled featuers any that I might need? - mostly compression and emails, not much else for me, the occasional .exe for some software install/maintenance.

I have only used three in my life. Winzip (trash), Winrar and 7-zip.

Winrar is a great program. Really jammed pack with features (and handy because it can open everything... or so it seems).

7-Zip is also a good program. Especially considering its free and can open seemingly everything that you come across.