Proposal - Community Language Pack

Rebar

Would there be any interest in making a community language pack for modders?

Right now we're limited to Russian, Spanish, and Ethiopian for the enemy actors, I think it'd be great to expand that to cover a lot more.

Here's a list of the current translations:

translations

First, the files the actors actually use should be identified, to keep the size down. Then the languages needed, how the files should be recorded, and someone who's good with editing sounds to pull everything together.

I know I could use the following:

German, Japanese, Italian, English (British accent), English (American accent), French, Korean, Chinese.

What do you all think?

I like the idea. We should consider that GR was out in other languages rather thank english so some languages are already available (Italian, German, French?, Spanish?, Portuguese?) even if we can't make them available for other users due to copyright issues.

My new housemate here in Saudi is a Romanian guy so I could convince him to dub GR ;)

A couple of points to take in consideration:

1) identify if the languages are for the player platoon or the enemies (the wav files to cdub are completely different)

2) since the game engine plays the wavs when it consider them suitable in game all the wav files have to be dubbed and not only some of them

METHINKS Rebar is cooking up a mod for the Korean War..........and if he is.....i salute him!!!!!

German has been done guys. there was a german voiceover that was released back in '02 i believe.

i think you can still get it here....its a 40mb DL. and it seems to be pretty accurate. i use it when i play WOI.

:D

hope you all get help with this!!!

METHINKS Rebar is cooking up a mod for the Korean War..........and if he is.....i salute him!!!!!

German has been done guys. there was a german voiceover that was released back in '02 i believe.

i think you can still get it here....its a 40mb DL. and it seems to be pretty accurate. i use it when i play WOI.

:D

hope you all get help with this!!!

Very good memory Richmondskin. If I remember correctly it was part of Operation Barbarossa in Icebreak.

Also Geiser........ by Dog-Zebra has German Voice over but they are purely cosmetics with no direct translation from the original

The voices would be for the enemies. And not all the WAVs would have to be redone, some of them are just grunting and humming, which can be left as-is.

Those German voices in the mod were pulled from other games, and I'd like to avoid using them, much rather have originals donated.

And yes, I have a Korean war mod in the research phase, and I'll need Chinese and Korean enemy voices.

• 3 weeks later...