GR2 for PC CANCELLED

cobaka

We'll at least they came out and said it at last.

More than anything it was the silence that was beginning to really irk. By not officially announcing what we were already starting to resign ourselves to, it's like they were stringing us along.

Until today as far as anyone knew, officially Ghost Recon 2 was still on and by not playing fair to the fans and letting us know earlier that it was cancelled, Ubi have strung us along, and will have lost whatever "loyalty" their flagging Ghost Recon fan base had along the way.

Amen.

We were strung along, and it's not going to bode well for version #3. (which will most likely also be console-first)

This leaves a bad taste.

Zjj-please do still post the report.

heheh.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good decision ubi, I though GR2 looked like a large pile of dog food processed over about a 48 hour period inside the dog to be honest.

Eagerly awaiting news of a GR sequel aimed at the PC gamer.

Nice to see they have there heads screwed on straight. :thumbsup:

Yeah. They fed us that line with GR2, the port.(ahem). They did it also with RvS, swearing quality was the reason. Sure it was. You couldn't even play that game online without hacking the netcode oureselves, it was a bad joke.

As for Ubi having anything screwed on straight, well that is another matter entirely. The only thing they seem to have straight is the schedule at which they are going to keep letting us down.

BTW, is there a doctor in the house? It seems Chems isn't feeling so good. Or maybe he is feeling way TOO good. Hard to tell. :wall:

Not surprised. :angry:

After all this time I started to think that was the only answer we were going to get. :wall:

Winter 2005.... based on the average slippage for a game I would genuinly expect that to be sometime spring of 2006, as has already been suggested.

Will I wait..... maybe but then again this is crap customer service considering we're supposidly a "loyal customer base"

I almost felt like ranting on the UBI forums but a) it would get deleted b) they wouldn't give a ######!

At the end of the day there are not enough of us to have an effect on UBI, the console millions have won the day. We get to make do with whatever table scraps they care to throw our way.... TOTAL BOLLOX! :nono:

Oh, and Chems increase the meds m8, you're starting to hallucinate. :rofl:

At least Nova is turning out one PC game per year.

taken by surprise? NOT ! !

I used to get my head ripped off for telling people this was going to happen. No one would believe it. :hmm:

I guess they believe it now. <_<

But on the upside, BF2 looks frickin' AWESOME, and I can't wait for it's release. :drool:

Feeling poetic today.

Yoo Bee Eye, Yoo Bee Eye,

Trustworthy and respectful

Who We thought would never tell a lie

Or whos games would ever get dull.

Yet promises of G R two

Getting us excited

Turn out to be a pile of poo

To XBOX - extradited!

"So on to GR3!" they say

Met by grumbles from the readers

"But all we want to do is play!"

On to new games it will lead us.

And so the story twists and bends

And lost profit is in sight

And from here it all depends...

How good is 'First to Fight'?

Edited by Gecko.pxs

I almost felt like ranting on the UBI forums but a) it would get deleted b) they wouldn't give a ######!

At the end of the day there are not enough of us to have an effect on UBI, the console millions have won the day. We get to make do with whatever table scraps they care to throw our way.... TOTAL BOLLOX!  :nono:

Yeah. Only thing is, Ubi has forgotten that without us, there wouldn't be a thriving GR franchise. You don't see console mods out the ying-yang, and the console version still selling after 5 years.

At the end of the day there are not enough of us to have an effect on UBI, the console millions have won the day. We get to make do with whatever table scraps they care to throw our way.... TOTAL BOLLOX!  :nono:

Yeah. Only thing is, Ubi has forgotten that without us, there wouldn't be a thriving GR franchise. You don't see console mods out the ying-yang, and the console version still selling after 5 years.

You're right but the issue is irrelevant. UBI are just pimping the most cash rich market out there and that's consoles.

This is market economics, plain and simple. I for one do not believe the crap about not living upto expectations. A bad port or not they would still have released a GR2 for PC if it existed. Because lets face it we would all be out there buying it regardless of quality as we've been waiting so long.

Always knew there was a reason I didn't like the french ;)

I can't say I'm surprised, and with Ubisoft's track record of support, I'm happier that they aren't going to release a console port of GR2 that they wouldn't support for more than a couple of months that I would be if they did. I just have to hope that they have learned from the versions of GR2 they did make what not to do. Ghost Recon on the PC was a great game. The console ports didn't do as well because A) too many controls for a gamepad and B) the engine just wasn't designed for 3D hardware. They overdid it with GR2...they made engines that were too dependant on the console hardware (and would have looked just as outdated on a PC as the original version of GR does now) and they dumbed down the game to make control easier.

With GR3, hopefully, they'll build the game around co-op multiplayer mode. Single player is nice, but I'd rather have an excellent multiplayer GR than a fair single/multi-player combo. The other thing I hope (oh man do I hope) they'll do is grab the Cry engine from Farcry for GR3. It's Ubisoft too, so hopefully licensing wouldn't be difficult, and it's supposed to be really easy to map and mod for. It's got vehicle physics built in and support for large, detailed outdoor environments. I think most people here would agree it the user community of maps and mods helped make GR such a success on the PC, and while I love the Unreal engine, it's not something a casual mapper like me can play with. The Cry engine's Sandbox is a different story. The only question in my mind (since I haven't played Farcry other than the demo or messed with Sandbox yet [it's on my list...but I haven't gotten to it with World of Warcraft taking my gaming time] is whether or not it can handle GR's urban environments)? Anyone know?

I guess what I'm saying is they have the opportunity to do a good PC version, and I applaud Ubi for going ahead and scrapping GR2 for the PC rather than releasing a port of a game that really wasn't Ghost Recon like we wanted just to make some money off the franchise.

Yeah, the mods over there are real asshats. Or so I've been told :whistle:

At least this gives us time for all the GR mods still in progress :)

The console ports didn't do as well because A) too many controls for a gamepad and B) the engine just wasn't designed for 3D hardware. They overdid it with GR2...they made engines that were too dependant on the console hardware (and would have looked just as outdated on a PC as the original version of GR does now) and they dumbed down the game to make control easier.

GR2 for PC was never going to be a console port. :wall:

I'm with Rocky on this, let's add "port" to the bad word filter. :o=

Wow. I for one will not just tranfer my hopes to GR3, assuming the best...just like we did for GR2 when we heard we were not first. No, that's what put us where we are standing now...empty-handed after TWO console releases.

I'm not going to assume that since UBI has made so many bad decisions to this point that this inevitably increases the probability that their next decision will be a good one. Try that logic at the gambling tables with your money and see how it turns out.

No, it's time we stopped whining and did the job ourselves. Come help, or just continue to sit here and cry, and hope, and cry.

www.ObsidianEdge.com

The console ports didn't do as well because A) too many controls for a gamepad and B) the engine just wasn't designed for 3D hardware. They overdid it with GR2...they made engines that were too dependant on the console hardware (and would have looked just as outdated on a PC as the original version of GR does now) and they dumbed down the game to make control easier.

Sorry ZJJ, I was of the opinion that it was going to be essentially the same game as the X-Box version, with some PC specific tweaks (like support for higher resolutions) but no new content. Of course, I never was able to find any write-ups on the PC version specifically to go by...just what I heard on the grapevine.

Soroc, I just checked out your website...first time I've heard of Obsidian Edge. Are there any screenshots available yet, or do you still have to get new models incorporated? Reading the FAQ it looks like you may still be using all Farcry weapon models and so forth. Anyway, glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the Cry engine would make a great home for a tactical shooter. I may have to go ahead and pick up Farcry so I can give your mod a try when you get to a public release.

Edited by QB-Paladin

Sorry ZJJ, I was of the opinion that it was going to be essentially the same game as the X-Box version, with some PC specific tweaks (like support for higher resolutions) but no new content. Of course, I never was able to find any write-ups on the PC version specifically to go by...just what I heard on the grapevine.

Not that it is relevant now, but we had one of the devs specifically post in these forums that it was not going to be a console port. It is also talked about in a pinned (?) thread.

EDIT: The thread is no longer pinned. See here if interested.

GR3 will just be a straight port of the **** xbox version. Quality tactical sims on a console dont exist and never will. If they couldnt make an unported version of GR2 what makes you think they will do it for GR3? Its now obvious they will never make any sort of effort for the PC platform.

As far as im concerned i wont be buying another ubi/rse game again unless its something special, There are other games to play that are better supported and actually made for a PC.

blatently going to be delayed and released in 2006 if at all.

Edited by babydave

Feeling poetic today.

Yoo Bee Eye, Yoo Bee Eye,

Trustworthy and respectful

Who We thought would never tell a lie

Or whos games would ever get dull.

Yet promises of G R two

Getting us excited

Turn out to be a pile of poo

To XBOX - extradited!

"So on to GR3!" they say

Met by grumbles from the readers

"But all we want to do is play!"

On to new games it will lead us.

And so the story twists and bends

And lost profit is in sight

And from here it all depends...

How good is 'First to Fight'?

:clapping:

I guess what I'm saying is they have the opportunity to do a good PC version, and I applaud Ubi for going ahead and scrapping GR2 for the PC rather than releasing a port of a game that really wasn't Ghost Recon like we wanted just to make some money off the franchise.

I couldn't have said it better myself

Edited by jay316

Congratulations Ubi, that seals the deal...I have bought my last home PC. I will wait until November to determine whether X-Box 2 or PS3 will be outfitable as a media center device (HD or Blue Ray DVD , Internet, and HDTV receiver & PVR) and make plans based on features.

-Tom Schaefer

Well, it's official, NO GR2 for the PC? We aren't a hard crowd to please, just please us the best you can. :blink:

But what if the wait for GR3 goes from this fall to next spring....summer...fall? hmm

I'll stick with RR_GRT and his assessment of the situation as poop. this brings the song to mind from outkast "caroline." Ubi likes to think it''s ###### don't stink, but lean a little closer and the roses really smell like poop-poo! :shifty: