Our Own Game

Colin

Inlight of the long waite for gr2 and no real replacment for Ghost Recon 1.

I KNOW IM GET PULLED TO BITS FOR THIS SUGGESTION BUT HERE GOES.

These forums have a wealth of talent in the gaming community and some out side it.

We have some realy talented modders and talented computer Geeks.

Can we produce our own relacment for GR1

Can it be done.???????????

If it is possible may be we could talk about it.

OK people rip away.

Colin

It's free, all you need is FarCry as we're using that engine. Trust me guys, you will not be disappointed. It's made by gamers for gamers.

Obsidian Edge, a tactical mod using the Crytek Engine

If you have any questions about it I can answer them for you. Suffice it to say we have a couple new features that I've never seen before in any FPS. First is damage spin. We call it "the Turn". You get hit and you are thrown off target, randomly. The guy that gets the first shot on target has the advantage, even if he has a pistol. Second is the nightvision. We have simulated NVG intensifier "bloom". When you look at a bright light source you get a whiteblur. Muzzleflash is also a dead giveaway to where the enemy is. $20 bucks get's ya FarCry, and the singleplayer is awesome. Our mod is m/p only and it's been getting rave reviews from old school GR peeps. We have members from 9 GR clans playing it and they say it's better than GR was. I know that's sacrilege but I gotta tell you guys, the mod has surpassed our expectations. We're in closed beta now, but sign up and I'll get ya up and running. Open beta is scheduled for second week in April. All we're waiting on now is getting the new weapons in game, as the code is rock solid. We think you all will love the tactical gameplay, and we have several maps that are remakes of GR maps.

Edited by ruggbutt

I think for many, the magic of Ghost Recon was having several teams to order around the map to strategic points via the waypoint map system, and the ability to switch to any of the soldiers in each team in order to handle the more delicate operations yourself...that is, while I did enjoy the multiplayer aspect, it is the single player game that I was (and I do mean was) eagerly awaiting.

Are you implementing those single-player aspects into Obsidian Edge? If you are, you're gonna be everybody's hero (including mine).

Not trying to imply your mod won't be a total blast to play though. As I already own Far Cry I guess it aint subject to my Ubi boycott, so I'll look forward to trying it either way.

We haven't messed w/singleplayer much as what (in our opinion) kept GR alive for 4 years was the multiplayer. We may do something like that in the future but for now the m/p aspects of the mod are fantastic. As soon as we get the 4 weapons implemented for public beta LOCsta will be making a trailer showing all the features of the game plus some m/p snippets.

I love GR, we laddered over 2000 matches on TCZ alone as a GR clan. This mod is as fun as GR was, and it surpasses it in many ways. It's almost impossible to glitch in the game, and if you're stupid you can fall off the side of a mountain. No more invisible safety rails. We've tweaked the guns according to our tech advisor, who is a 3rd BN Ranger.

All I can say is check it out. I can count about 30 ex GR players who bought FC just for the mod. They have told us over and over again that it was money well spent.

Rugg is right. And to make everyone feel at home, we remade a few old favorites. When was the last time the Caves map looked this cool? This is mp_caves_oe from the Obsidian Edge mod for FarCry. Just finished up for playtest this morning...still needs some edge work. Many custom non-GR maps also.

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5

pic 6

[oversize images replaced by URL's]

Edited by Pave Low

looks great soroc :D

what rug mentioned about the damage spin would be same as reticule knock

its good because if some one is about to launch a rocket at you and u get 1 shot off before he hits you.....

if you hit him, that spin will make him miss horribly bad or blow himself up :)

Edited by Prozac360

Well, the issue of making our own version of a tactical game has been brought up before. The tools are out there.

Graphics engine:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net

Physics:

Newton Physics Library

Audio:

http://audiere.sourceforge.net

Networking:

Too many to name.

OpenGL or Directx SDKs out there.

All that is needed is talent, coordination, and a lot of time.... ;)

Pretty easy for you to say when you haven't played it. I'm not sure what TVT is but we don't use any of the stock gametypes that came w/FarCry. We've rewritten alot of code and added 2 gametypes, LMS and VIP.

And technically GR was a mod made from the RS engine. Desert Combat was a mod of BF1942. If you're too close minded to even check out OE before you "go off" that's your loss. We aren't getting paid for this and I have plenty of other stuff to do than to talk you into checking it out.

I can tell you that hardcore old school GR squads are raving about the tactical gameplay. But you'd know that had you done your research. ;)

Edited by ruggbutt

If you're too close minded to even check out OE before you "go off" that's your loss.  We aren't getting paid for this and I have plenty of other stuff to do than to talk you into checking it out.

I can tell you that hardcore old school GR squads are raving about the tactical gameplay. But you'd know that had you done your research. ;)

I don't know what you're getting uptight about. I think the gist of the posts you took offence to is that we want a single-player (and in at least one case coop) game that has the same feel as GR. In other words, a completely different type of game than what you are making. Better thicken your skin before you get hit with real as opposed to perceived critisism dude.

Nobody's saying your mod is bad...it's just not the kind of game some posters are talking about.

Edited by Old_Geezer

I'm not upset a bit. Sup presented some comments as fact and I called him on it. If you've ever read any of my posts you'll find that I don't mince words. I'm not policitally correct w/my speech or thoughts. I've only been upset here twice and Rocky had to ask me to chill, so don't take my above post as being upset. You'll find that when someone goes off half cocked w/out all the info that I won't pussyfoot around w/my words.

Also, yesterday I was contacted by someone who wants to make singleplayer missions for all the maps we are going to include in the mod, that's close to 30 maps. I've spoken w/the mapmakers and they have no problems w/it so if it's feasable we'll move forward w/singleplayer stuff. The great part about this is that the AI in singleplayer are more intelligent than they were in GR. They use flanking tactics and such. COOP right now is impossible as the bots (AI) won't synch up w/the server. The C++ code needs to be delved into and we're still waiting on the C++ SDK. It's not that we don't want to do singleplayer, it's just that our resources are limited and it wasn't part of the equation until this gentlemen stepped up.

If and when we see GR2 I don't hold much promise for singleplayer, unless they completely rewrite the missions from the console. Those missions are extremely linear and weren't alot of fun to play. :(

Edited by ruggbutt

Well, I never cared for Coop myself anyways. But if this fellow can pull of the character-switching/waypoint map features, then I'd bet OE would blow away anything on the market today (in which case you oughta consider making a buck from it). But without those features it'll likely resemble every other SP "tactical" shooter out there. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just aint what some of us in here are talking about (no offence). It is the lack of those features in the x-box version which make it suck the most imo.

And again, there is no critisism here...nobody implied you should be making a SP game, and nobody implied there's anything wrong with your mod. I believe we were just talking about a different kind of game altogether.

Still looking forward to trying your mod either way though...I do enjoy a good team MP game now and then.

just a note, farcry is more modable then most ppl think =)

gr modding in comparison is actually pretty simple

how much you can mod it? it can start to look nothing like farcry but its just a huge amount of work.

id love to see new characters, keybindings, iron sights, rendering modes, etc......

theres so much u can do

just a note, farcry is more modable then most ppl think =)

gr modding in comparison is actually pretty simple

how much you can mod it? it can start to look nothing like farcry but its just a huge amount of work.

id love to see new characters, keybindings, iron sights, rendering modes, etc......

theres so much u can do

Yeah, LUA really offers tremendously powerful modding possibilities - it's really only limited by the depth of your knowledge of LUA scripting. Suli very kindly sent me Roberto Ierusalimschy's 'Programming in Lua' - and I'm greatly indebted to him for that. However, time constraints have meant I have only been able to tinker around the edges, but it has certainly opened my eyes to what would be possible with a game like FarCry :rocky:

hey jack, glad it helped.

as to the original question, i and many others mentioned and suggested this about 2 months or so before far cry release. unfortunatly to little response. hence where we are now with far cry.

but to answer this question specificly, yes it is capable, and a little painfull. the assets from some of these mods alone would put things off to a good start.( prototyping, engins have evolved) and a good state of the art engine can be less than one might think ( please dont mention unreal im aware of the cost of the mega engines, there are many others that are comprable that most havent even heard of yet.

i would say if you put together a solid team of 20+ of the top gr modders, gathers current assets for prototyping, and have some solid ( and very profecionally experienced project managers ) it could be done in abut 2 years, 1 year if you have some brilliant coders ( and there are some around these parts) and a solid engine to base it on.

yes it is possible, feel free to PM me if you are serious and ill wip out the old research stick and give you some good engine info (and stuff ).

but who among you are to make the first move? and is it worth it with gr enevitibly being released before 2 years are up?

I believe I've just discovered the reason to go out and buy Farcry. :yes:

I played the demo when it launched and yes, it was pretty good. But I've bought so many games since GR with hopes of good SP and a new MP experience that have fallen by the way as they aren't GR. :(

However, for a number of reasons I have stopped playing GR MP recently and am trying to get through my SP back catalogue, do you know, I have just completed Island Thunder SP and I got that on the day of release!

Having read what you're doing with OE if it's half as good as you are indicating I may just dust off those MP urges and give it a go. :D

Good job guys, keep it up.

I played FarCry singler player and though i wowed at the graphics and scenes it was a little boring, with multiplay being basically an open expansive version of Quake 3.

I played OE and it is a totally different gameplay experience.

Apart from GR1, the FarCry mod 'Obsidian Edge' is the only online team game that has what me and my friend call 'The jump factor'. That means you are concentrating on looking for the enemy, sneaking around and getting all tactical on their ayasses when you come under fire and cause you were really feeling the tension of it you suddenly jump in your seat.

I honestly say after over three years of nightly GR1 multiplay that OE is a better all round experience. Don't even get me started on the GR map conversions, Tank and Swamp Airfield are amazing and Caves is due soon. Oh the sweetness of the prospect of a silenced SR25 on caves.

If you are in the UK you can get a new copy of Far Cry with free deliver for as cheap as 9.99 (pounds).

I honestly lamented the none appearence of GR2 on the PC but since i've been playing OE I actually don't mind as much.