Alpha Channels on Weapons

Chems

On my m16 model with 203, I have used an alpha channel to make the holes in the heat guard on the 203. Underneath is the standard barrel you should be able to see. Ive put the alpha texture in another RSB just like RSE did but sometimes the alpha channel goes all the way through so you can see sky through the holes on the weapon instead of the barrel inside the heat sheild. Anyone else had this? I think its to do with grouping.

Your Texture only ocupies one side of the polygon, ie that with the Normal face.When you look at a polygon from behind the Normal you will see right through it.

Tagging as 2 sided so your texture appears on both sides will double the polygon count (in game count) on those polys carrying that texture.

Cutting the holes in the heatshield ain't an option I guess?

Or.... maybe you could mirror/copy the faces and mirror the normals from the copy you've created?? And since the heatsheild is not the biggest part (poly-wise), i guess it's not to bad for your polycount....... just guessing.

Edited by Jaxe

This may be a dumb question, but is your texture set up as alpha blending or alpha testing? If not, any part of an alpha-channel textured object behind another alpha-channel textured object (like branches of a tree) becomes invisible.

Alpha testing should be used for sharp breaks, like the holes in your heat shield, trees, etc. Alpha blending is good for gradual transitions, like flame textures, smoke and the like. Check your level builder PDF for details. A good choice for alpha testing would be greater than 128 (neutral grey).