Bravo 2 Zero

Chems

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to start reading these posts more, I just noticed this. It sounds awesome! Everythng from the goats to the big ass map is great. I just hope it don't slow my GR down too much. ;) I run a VERY slow machine.

BTW--Who wrote the two books in you first post? I need to read them. :P

Great job. :thumbsup:

It may cause your system a bit of lag yeah, I dunno thou, if it can run any of todays games at all it should run this. No promises thou.

The authors of the two books are, Andy MacNab, and Chris Ryan, many belive Andy is full of s*** and ryan more accurate.

It may cause your system a bit of lag yeah, I dunno thou, if it can run any of todays games at all it should run this. No promises thou.

The size of the map or the total map-geometry isn't that big of a deal really.

As long as it's not crammed into a small area (which isn't in your case) the frames won't drop that much.

The clipping will take away most of the burden (even if it's set to 300 meters).

You also don't have a lot of foliage (read: transparant textures) so that should keep your FPS up aswell.

The only "dropper" I could see might be the amount of character-models in view at one time (regarding your high-poly models) and the extra live-stock or vehicles.

Yeah the not only the character models but the hi res textures as well. I will be doing what D said earlier on the next chr models and welding away a lot of the verts hoping to drop the poly count. The enemies will just be stock GR characters.

How did the texture for the L96 come out? Do you have a screenshot you can show us?

Would you consider using a sniper reticle treatment like the one in Alpha Squad Mod?

Having the sniper reticle look like a small " + " (much like the pistols) while not zoomed was the best reticle treatment I have seen yet for snipers. The reticle only became a full sniper reticle when zoomed. Your snipers will be able to see more of your beautiful tango-crawling landscape much easier.

Looking forward to more news and screenshots. :)

silent_op

Chems,

The L96 looks good, I like the way it came out. I'm looking forward to the group shot of all the weapons. It's to bad early May is such a long way off.

I forgot what you said about this, but are you going to have any SAS pink pather Range Rovers?

silent_op

:drool:

That MINIMI looks TIGHT in-game... VERY nice. :yes:

The L96 looks nice in-game too.

I don't think the renders from 3ds did them the respect they deserve.

I can't wait for May. :D

Edit: Um, I like Silent Op has a great IDEA. Only it shouldn't be a +, I think it should be a 75 PIXLE circle. That way you aren't sure where your going to hit exactly unless you zoom in, just like RL. Also get rid of the yellow crosshairs that are default for the SR's.

Edited by Snake@War

This mod is sounding AWESOME! The weapons look awesome, very nicely done. As for the sniper scopes, I think they are fine how they are.

Now for complaints (not many):

Yeah the not only the character models but the hi res textures as well. I will be doing what D said earlier on the next chr models and welding away a lot of the verts hoping to drop the poly count. The enemies will just be stock GR characters.

I always wondered why the player controled characters alway had the most polys and highest-res textures. I guess it adds to the feel, but why have crappy enemy models. The enemy is what you look at the most, but they always have bad guns and look terrible. My opinion is that both the player and enemy characters should be semi-high poly with good textures. But maybe that is just me.

Like I said, this mod is awesome. Can't wait to play on that beautiful map. Just what GR needs. And BTW, for the sake of us 56K'ers, could you replace the big images with links. Thanks. And good job.

@Brandon, I agree about the enemies, but mostly in GR, and Specially in this mod, youd never get close enough to oggle at the lovly new hi res and hi poly models. And there are only a few player control characters, but there maybe like 40+ enemies on the one map and it would just lag up so badly.

@Gambit, I think the minimi is meant to be kinda smallish with a shorter butt stock but in overall size compared to the other weapons, I just sized the grip up to the m16 and exported. If I make it any bigger it will look silly and not fit.

@Snake, do you mean this horrible flip up sight?

minimi.jpg

Ive only seen one minimi with that sight the rest all have the M249 ones. That will be staying I like it.

Edit: Um, I like Silent Op has a great IDEA. Only it shouldn't be a +, I think it should be a 75 PIXLE circle. That way you aren't sure where your going to hit exactly unless you zoom in, just like RL. Also get rid of the yellow crosshairs that are default for the SR's.

I think you're absolutely on to something there Snake@War. Chems, that would be a great way of taking the Alpha Squad Mod sniper reticle treatment to the next step.

I hope you will consider this for your L96 scope.

silent_op

@Snake, do you mean this horrible flip up sight?

Ive only seen one minimi with that sight the rest all have the M249 ones. That will be staying I like it.

Actually it's the same sight. The "flip up" is inside the top piece for shooting at longer ranges. Just like the one on the FN MAG can be flipped up for that reason. It's a 2 range iron sight system.

EDIT: How often do you see the orginal FN Minimi butt on a M249? Not very often...

Edited by Wolfsong

I get what your talkin about Wolf dont worry, I never knew that there was a flip up bit probably cause Ive never seen one in real life!

@Silent op and Snake, Having never downloaded the Alpha squad mod I dont know what you mean, I will investiage thou.

I believe Snake@War was talking about a sniper reticle (SR) treatment.

At least I hope so, because that is what I was talking about earlier.

silent_op

He was replying to a different post.

I get what your talkin about Wolf dont worry, I never knew that there was a flip up bit probably cause Ive never seen one in real life!

@Silent op and Snake, Having never downloaded the Alpha squad mod I dont know what you mean, I will investiage thou.

I'm talking about basically a large circle for the ret. The srmask.rsb (or whatever the sniper mask is) is actally the thing that is the scope.

Edited by Snake@War

@Brandon, I agree about the enemies, but mostly in GR, and Specially in this mod, youd never get close enough to oggle at the lovly new hi res and hi poly models. And there are only a few player control characters, but there maybe like 40+ enemies on the one map and it would just lag up so badly.

I agree totally with you, hopefully you never have to really look at the enemy much. And an over load of polys on the map will cause excessive lag. I do think that the enemies should have different textures, just maybe not high-res. The originals just get old after a while. Anyways, this mod is great, and whatever you do, it will be great. ;)

As for the Minimi's size...the version Thumper has made here should be about 104cm long, compare that to a M16A2's 100,6cm and it hints that the way Chems has scaled it would be correct.

Doesn't really match with the stock though and some other things though.

FN Minimi

m249saw.jpg

M249 SAW

fn_minimi_m249.jpg

Differen't barrel profile, heatshield over the barrel added on the M249 and different stock.