Update......? TWO Steps BACKWARDS

If you call this a update you must be used to playing an Atari 2600 on a 13" black and white.

I mean come on this is the best that the could come up with ??? I could just picture the scene as two of guys at Ubisoft are talking at the water cooler..........

Programer 1 : Well, they are all asking for someway to see who is talking during game play.

Head Programer 2 : I dont want to do a thing......

Programer 1 : They also want to know who enters the lobby during the game..

Programer 1 : And they also want to know when somone leaves during game play...

Programer 1 : But we have to do somthing we sold 6 MILLION Games we should give them something!!!!

Head Programer 2 :Fine, Fine, Fine, I know what we will do We will make the people who are talking during the game come up with the same print and almost in the same spot as the place of where the kill name comes up.......

Programer 1 : What ? You cant do that! How will a person know if that sniper shot kill his enemy of it is 5 of his teamates yelling...

Head Programer 2 :oh Well...... and than when a person leaves or enters during a game lets black out a 1/4 of the screen for 3 secs .....

Programer 1 : What ? You cant do that! You need to see the whole screen all the time..... Any we have done a decent job in the past like Ghost recon : Island Thunder where the names of the players leaving and entering the room was in the upper corner of the room and when someone talked it was out of the way...

Head Programer 2 :Well that is what we are doing ...........I dont care I am a big Mario Kart fan anyway.......

Ok enough of the humor.... Whoever aproved this update should be axed, fired, terminated, given the boot. I cant understand why they would make such a blunder like this . Why make the game more confusing, why obscure the screen with usless info. Why are they tring to reinvent the wheel when it worked fine in olderversions of the same game.....

Come on guys get on the ball.......

The only thing left to say is "CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT UPDATE!!!"

Hate to say it, but I totally agree with you. After all that, they add the most annoying and huge popups imaginable. Was this a joke? I was only 30 seconds in to my first game and I almost blew a gasket! I'm trying to duck my view under those stupid "DBG123 Left Game" "U929 Entered Game" popups every 5 seconds. They must of taken a page from the Internet, because everyone LOVES LARGE ANNOYING POPUPS EVERY 3 SECONDS!!!

Absolutely Ridiculous. Good job UBI! :thumbsup:

Jasman

Here we go again.

Many of you have asked for such things and now it's being complained about. If you wanted such things added to the game, and asked for them, it is your fault for wanting the developers to add them.

I have said this many times, we gamers are our own worst enemies when it comes to having features added to a game. If the devs add it per requests and it comes out bad, they are damned if they do and if they do not add it, they are damned if they don't. You can't have it both ways.

Voicing an opinion is great. But joining a site just to complain causes me to raise an eyebrow. Where were these people when suggestions were being made? It is similar to not voting and then taking issue with the candidate who was elected.

Voicing an opinion is great. But joining a site just to complain causes me to raise an eyebrow. Where were these people when suggestions were being made? It is similar to not voting and then taking issue with the candidate who was elected.

Yeah. I feel the same way. :yes:

Yeah. I feel the same way. :yes:

I think that you guys both missed the point... I am not saying that I did not want these changes to be made to the game( which was a beta version at best but that is another story) But the way that they implemented it shows that they put no thought into it, just slapped it togher. and that is the point!!!

Hatchetforce: Looks like you are tring to do some damage control.........Thats right the first step of war is to discredit the other side.

I " Raise an eyebrow" to anyone who is called a "Consultant" and cant see that this is patch is crapola

Why as a "Consultant" you think that this patch is Good???

I have heard a negative response from you. I have also heard one from a few other people. Yet this weekend I gamed with over 300 people and not one, not one, had a negative response. There was nothing but praise for what had been instituted thus far. It always occurs that when an individual is dissatisfied then their field of view broadens to become the only view. And naturally anyone that sides with them must be part of the legion that composes their testament.

Plenty of times in titles something has been done that I did not like. But even then I had the ability to distance myself from my own opinion and look at the issue. Sampling the opinion of gamers online - not on a message board - will easily show whether or not they like the patch. Most of the satisfied customers are busy on LIVE and not posting. There is a reaason why GR2 has been the number 2 LIVE game. A good reason.

I am not attempting to do any damage control, I am just expressing my opinion. Attempting to create some type of conspiracy is the first step in furthering one's point when they did not get their way. It also means you have absolutely no idea what a Consultant does or what they provide on this site.

I have had zero, and I mean zero issues with the patch. It has brought nothing but good to the game for the vast majority of gamers. And that is what must be attended, the vast majority. If you believe that every single gamer can be satisfied by any piece of software then...well, I am not even going to go there.

And as I said. Your first post on this site wasn't to ask a question or say hi, it was a tirade. Diverse opinions are welcomed here. But your entry onto the board was less than spectacular. Your point of view suffers greatly in the substantiation department when your initial entry is a mud sling and the facts do not bear you out.

(At the risk of getting flamed from both sides . . .)

First, let me say that I consider GR2 the best multiplayer game I've ever played. Ever. Haven't played Island Thunder for XBox. I'm coming from GR1 (and all add ons) on PC. There is no comparison in my experience between the two. There are, of course, a handful of things I would add to the XBox--such as enabling a set number of respawns--but those issues are minor.

That said, from the perspective of a non-programmer, but avid fan, I have to agree with the criticisms that have been levelled at the auto-update. The "who's talking" indicator is very difficult to distinguish from the "I just killed you" indicator. And the exit/entrance indicator is crazy big and often distracting.

I'm not nearly as wound up about it as some of the other posters, but I would deem both of these as "unnecessary annoyances." They could have been otherwise, and my guess (hope) is that they can and will be easily corrected. Both additions are great ideas, but the execution of the additions was not exactly spectacular. I was left scratching my head over both of them, but that's not to be confused with extending the international symbol of disapproval in the direction of my tv set.

So I guess my 2 cents' worth (w/ a 2 cent discount) is that it seems to me that the criticisms are valid, but they shouldn't be quite so vociferous (sorry, couldn't think of another word). My guess is that polling players about the update would get the same kinds of comments as have been posted, but just at a much lower volume level. But just because a complaint has a lower volume attached to it doesn't make it any less valid.

staff, i understand that we gamers ask for things, then complain about the results, but i just don't understand why THIS happened...the ginormous entering/leaving note and the near-identical talking boxes.

i really dont complain much because i love this game, but this is extremely annoying. don't the devs play games themselves? wouldnt they think that these addons interfere with gameplay?

i agree that it was necessary to see who is talking/entering/leaving... but if I were to do it... i would have had just the gamertags appear in color codes on the top right of the screen... something like a lil black speaker icon next to a gamertag for talking....red gamertag for leaving... and green gamertag for entering. no more obnoxious screens and popups that look just like the kill notifications.

staff, i understand that we gamers ask for things, then complain about the results, but i  just don't understand why THIS happened...the ginormous entering/leaving note and the near-identical talking boxes.

I think the reason that the enter exit boxes are so large is to fit everyones name. They wanted to make it different so you know when someone enters. If some one enters with 4 people on one console. The box has to display all four names. To do this the box needs to be large... and with some of the tags out there, it needs to be really big. I agree it is a pain, but I do see the reasoning behind it.

Without me being able to see what is going on, I am a PC gamer after all and don't own an XBox, I can't say what is or isn't a problem. If the box scales to names, the XBox Live user tags are the problem and not the game. If the box stays the same size no matter what, then I would say yes, the new feature caused the problem. Still, it is something that people asked for above what was originally planned for the game.

You are right it would be nice if the box was dynamic and not static. I got a feeling that it was done static to keep the CPU usage down. Could you imagine the complaints if the enter/exit box started to cause slowdown issues :)

Rocky :- I wish I had Xbox live hooked up so I could see these popups for myself because the way they are described in this thread does sound like they are obtrusive

Certainly does, thats why i asked if there is or isn't an option available in the settings to turn these off, no one has answered yet, so i assume you can't turn these off.

very good point guys...i guess this is a hard problem to avoid!

anyways yeah i love the dowloadable content and aside from everyone else...I ACTUALLY LIKE THE NEW MAPS! i like them because it used to ###### me off soooo much when d be playin in train yard and the other team would go camp out in the forest.... trtimming up the map to create train yard interior gets rid of that! i also love how the trimed down railway to that long strip... lots of sniper opportunites and cQc!