Slipstreaming XP....

Specter

I thought this would be just the job for me, as I am about to do a clean XP install, on a new SATA HD and I'll obviously need to install SP2.

Having read that full report though, it seems a heck of a lot more time consuming than just doing it the usual way, i.e. Boot PC with XP disk in drive, install SATA drivers via floppy, install XP, insert SP2 update disk and install SP2.

Using the slipstream method I'd be here all morning create a CD! What can be easier than insert CD, insert floppy, insert CD?

That guide would take a while to set up, and has numerous potential for failure through human error.

If someone was setting up a roomfull of PCs I could see the benfit of going through all that hastle to create 1 disk that could then be used many times to prepare a load of Pcs. But for a one off XP install I can't see the benefit at all, unless I am missing something..?

But for a one off XP install I can't see the benefit at all, unless I am missing something..?

If your missing something so am I, as I felt the same as you after reading that. :unsure:

You mean tense nervous headache and slight nausea and feeling in inadequacy? :(

I can give you two reasons why slipstreaming SP2 onto a prior build of XP is a good idea.

The first is the very fact that it sounds difficult, despite the fact that it's pretty simple a project. Just like you have to take a test to get a drivers' licence, learning how to perform tasks like this will give you an edge over the average computer user. I firmly believe that if you intend to own and operate a computer, you really should take the time to learn how to do anything you can to maintain it. Just like owning a car, just because you can pay someone to change your oil, shouldn't you know how to do it yourself?

The second is for anyone who believes the the best way to solve any technical problem is format and reinstall the OS. Create this slipstream once, and you can use it as many times as is necessary. Particularly handy for those stuck on 56k modems, as they probably don't want to download SP2 every time.

So, in terms of learning more about your personal computer and as a long-term savings of steps, it's a cool project to undertake.

EDIT: One last good reason: Repairing installations of XP, such as recovering from particularly bad driver installations, or major hardware changes that require redetection of the mainboard components. If you already have XPSP2 on CD, it's an instant fix, as opposed to repairing, patching, repeat.

I think that if you plan on installing WinXP and not reinstalling for a year or more, you don't need to do this.

For those of us who take care of networks, fix/build computers on a regular basis, or just like fresh reinstalls every few months :blink: , this is very useful.

I pointed out a similar slipstreaming article a few months ago to a friend that runs a computer shop and got a big thanks for it :P

yeah but you reformat nearly every week lol

while this is useful for power users or people with many computers, most people won't have any real use for this as they only reformat once a year at most so it's not worth the time and effort to set it up