:D To: Modders

Papa6

To: All Modders

I’ve been out of modding for quite sometime and have taken up a new hobby of photography. I’ve recently purchased a 5MP digital camera that allows me to capture VERY clear pictures due to the high quality lens. Therefore, I’m willing to help out taking photos of bricks, grass or other items to use in your maps. This will be on a available basis. I only get a couple days off a week, so my time will have limits. Let me give you an example, we’ll say you email me, you ask for a brick texture..picture and a grass with dirt and some sidewalk and street pavement with painted lines. I’d go out on my dayoff, as this would give me an excuse to get out and take my camera to shoot pictures as well as your textures.

I’d send them to you as Jpegs and let you edit and modify them as you need. So get your Photoshop out and have fun! I can also perhaps take photos of the sky to send to you for your skyboxes as well. I’ve taken a few night pictures with some moonlit nights and these could generate some new skyboxes already.**Note: Building Facades might not happen as building security is concerned, meaning I’d have to have access to the inside and open a window from one building to shoot the photo of the subject building. But I might be able to do work arounds on this...ideas would be great on this.Plus signs on the street might get in the way for a clean building facade.

To contact me; write me an email with the topic : “textures” and telling me what you need. I’ll respond letting you know when I will get out and take them. So be patient, I can’t just up and leave on a whim.

I have a couple textures now, I think carpet, brick and grass for starters.

my email is cjackson.photography@1netdrive.com if interested.

-Papa6

Edited by Papa6

I've gone out after the above post and shot a skybox setup to make a skybox, I took texture photos of wood shingles for roofing, A bush(dense that you can't see through), Concrete(Very Coarse type), Carpet and Brick.

Please Refer to the Igor Documentation on making skyboxes.

My photos are 2576x1932 5MP so they are around 2mb give or take 200kb plus/minus. So you'd have to edit them yourselves to get them into the required GR parameters of powers of "2" 512x512, 256x256 or 1024x 1024 etc.

Edited by Papa6

I've gone out after the above post and shot a skybox setup to make a skybox

Making a fluent skybox is very hard with images taken with a regular camera.

What you basically need is a fisheye lens taking a full 360 degree shot to avoid getting seams or do a lot of work of making the images seamless by using masks.

I'm sure bits and pieces can be used ofcourse but I'll stick to the environment-generators. They produce awesome results.

I appreciate your effort and work but like Dee said, there is a lot of work to make a picture taken texture seamless and tileable and those texture generators makes it a lot easier with good results.

Actually i found a pretty easy way of making a texture seamless and tileable. I found it over at some HL2 modding site. If i can find it again ill post it. But i havent tried it for a skybox, ive done grass,sand, and pavement type of textures. :rocky:

thanks GRT, But I think I'll NOT do the texture idea. unless asked. :wall:

Why?..Prove us wrong and come up with the best skybox ever.. ;)

Dont have to do it for skyboxes. Take some pictures of great places that you would like to see in GR or a game. If i can see a picture of it i can make it..Also you can still do it for other textures.