Obsidian Edge - a mod for FarCry

ruggbutt

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Allright, I can't stand it anymore. I gotta spill the beans. First things first, here's a shot of one of PZ's creations in game. Can anyone guess the map? (It's still WIP)

xm8_gt.jpg

And what Suli was going on about was something that we were told by Crytek couldn't be done with .lua. We have the map downloading feature working, w/a twist. You don't download from a server, you can play online whilst grabbing the map (automatically) from a proper web host. No more slow downloads whilst you leech the server bandwith!!!! Those of you that played RvS, CoD or the Battlefield series know how awesome this is, cuz it really suxors to join a server and not have the map.

Evidently OE was featured in the UK's PC Zone magazine.  We're still waiting for one of our UK bretheren to buy it and scan the page for us.

DOH! I went down the shops to check it out, picked the magazine up and realised I already had that issue at home!

I've had a quick look through and couldn't see anything about OE though.

Allright, I can't stand it anymore.  I gotta spill the beans.  First things first, here's a shot of one of PZ's creations in game.  Can anyone guess the map?  (It's still WIP)

xm8_gt.jpg

And what Suli was going on about was something that we were told by Crytek couldn't be done with .lua.  We have the map downloading feature working, w/a twist.  You don't download from a server, you can play online whilst grabbing the map (automatically) from a proper web host.  No more slow downloads whilst you leech the server bandwith!!!!  Those of you that played RvS, CoD or the Battlefield series know how awesome this is, cuz it really suxors to join a server and not have the map.

Well thats ghost town on the desert siege mission pack?...

Wow.. I'm glad i've got Farcry still installed !.. :thumbsup:

Well thats ghost town on the desert siege mission pack?...

Wow.. I'm glad i've got Farcry still installed !..  :thumbsup:

That was a raw shot, he still needs to adjust the environment colors and such. The buildings are in the same spots, and we made custom buildings to match the ones on the GR map.

Rocky!!!! Thanks for finding it for us. I wish they'd gotten hold of us to ask some questions, I guess 75% is ok for the demo. We'd only had about that much of the mod done upon the demo release. The rest of it was strictly the eye candy stuff.

Hopefully the final we can score higher.

Right now we're kinda stuck using skyboxes that are included w/the SDK and the game. It's the right color for Ghost Town. Also, some of those shots are WIP, as there are lots of environment variables that need to be tweaked. Here's the original GT skybox:

gtown01.jpg

...weird. I installed the beta version.. Then loaded the MOD (In game).. Then it asked me to restart the game.. Then after i didn't see anything new apear.. It was the same old farcry...

Whats going on?.. Please help

:thumbsup:

...weird. I installed the beta version.. Then loaded the MOD (In game).. Then it asked me to restart the game.. Then after i didn't see anything new apear.. It was the same old farcry...

Whats going on?.. Please help

:thumbsup:

Lemme guess, you didn't read the PDF file that automatically pops up when the mod is thru installing. :D Go into your FC/Mods folder and open the Obsidian Edge folder. There is a black and white icon inside. Right click on that and send it to the desktop. Now when you fire up the game it will automatically start in OE mode. No restarting or any of that stuff.

Don't feel bad, no one likes to read documentation. Even though we've included answers to every question anyof the beta testers has asked regarding running OE. ;)

Nice bazooka..

which patch are you on?

I'm runnin' it standard.. V.100 !.. Will i need to update?

@ ruggbut i didnt read it... I only look at the pictures as u may have noticed already...

Will i need to update it then ?..

yes youll have to update, the current patch is 1.33.

just check to see if any previous ones are needed to be installed first.

Crytek, has a nasty habbit with there patches.

so we "insulated" ourselves for the upcoming release.