Obsidian Edge - a mod for FarCry

ruggbutt

Can someone get this thread back on topic? Please?

I still don't own FC - but this MOD once it has an SP component might make me buy it. I keep reading with anticipation and hope that you(ruggbutt & the rest of your talent) can pull it through.

:thumbsup: - Good Luck

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

but this MOD once it has an SP component might make me buy it. I keep reading with anticipation and hope that you(ruggbutt & the rest of your talent) can pull it through.

It's not for sale, it's free brother!!! As for talent, I just do the Photoshop textures and sounds. The real talent is Soroc, Suli, Prozac, Slack-Jaw, Radcliff, Three Up and some other part timers. I also do the PR, as I have the biggest mouth...........lol.

Seriously though, you guys know that I hold the old school GR community close to my heart. I really would like to see some s/p and coop stuff come from this. Just for the mere fact that it would give those of you that prefer these gametypes some new stuff to mess around with. :)

OE is one seriously outstanding mod. The quality is outstanding - it could easily be mistaken for an official expansion. FarCry can be bought so cheaply now that there is no excuse for not at least trying OE.

Full marks to everyone involved - you must be very proud indeed with what you have created...seriously! :rocky::ph34r:

All we ask is that you try the mod after August 1st before you publicly state an opinion about it, good or bad. Once you've actually tried it in a server with other folks in there, we welcome your opinion in any public forum. Constructive criticism from folks who have actually played the mod with others has always been welcome, and listened to...just check our forums at www.ObsidianEdge.net and you'll see this to be true.

We are just attempting to create a gaming experience that has been missing in the more recent FPS games that have been released.

It has been a long road, puncuated by FarCry folks shouting "if we wanted GR, we'd buy it!" and GR folks saying "FarCry?!? Ewwww!"

All we ask is a fair shake, if it's not your cup of tea, we understand. But we do ask that you hold your opinion until after you've played it. You may be suprised. We hope it's a pleasant one.

@Jack57 - I'll still take the complement, though...lol.

Edited by Soroc

All we ask is a fair shake, if it's not your cup of tea, we understand. But we do ask that you hold your opinion until after you've played it. You may be suprised. We hope it's a pleasant one.

So far as I've seen, nobody has spoken ill of the mod in this thread.

Can someone get this thread back on topic? Please?

My pleasure :D

The debate that has spoiled this thread has turned into nothing more than bickering. I suggest the people involved try and find some middle ground and try settle this via PM's (which are subject to the same forum rules BTW).

Back on track now please...

The coolest thing about Far Cry, is definatly the Night Vision, its the best night vision Ive seen in any game. And the bullets are awesome, they have proper drops. Night Battles with the Humvee 50cal is awesome.

The thing that spoiled the game Far Cry for me was the Monsters.

a) They scare the ###### outta me.

b) They are so hard to kill.

Best AI in a game, ever.

Yeah, I wished they had included better modding tools for the AI...this would have opened up more co-op gameplay options, anything, actually that required AI players in a multiplayer environment.

I really wanted to do a defend gametype.

I do know that the C++ code release for FarCry is impending, so that will open up new options. Right now, there are LMS, VIP and Domination gametypes in the mod.

I really just want to get folks in the GR community to try it out...we were thinking a lot about those folks when we created this mod. It's not FarCry anymore, but rather feels like GR on a better engine.

Edited by Soroc

Right now, I am locking this thread til it can be cleaned out. I may be tempted to leave it closed. The incessent fighting about the mod here and on other forums has gotten really tiring, for everyone. I know the OE team means well, but there comes a time when enough is enough. Work on the mod, get it released. People are telling you that they want an SP component to it as they don't play online. Give it to them and your mod will be a bigger hit I believe (seems like another game out there).

Chems, check out the NV in OE. On the remake of Bridges there's a Hummer w/it's lights on. If a tango stands between the headlights and you are even 50 meters in front of the vehicle, you can't see the enemy. The NVG's bloom when looking at a light source. If turn the NVG's off you can see the tango.

It's hella-cool. Oh yeah, no FSNV either. Reaper is a 3rd BN Ranger and we made the NVG mask to resemble a real one. Really hampers your "peripheral" vision. Tangos don't glow either, you still have to look for movement to spot them.

Chems, check out the NV in OE.  On the remake of Bridges there's a Hummer w/it's lights on.  If a tango stands between the headlights and you are even 50 meters in front of the vehicle, you can't see the enemy.  The NVG's bloom when looking at a light source.  If turn the NVG's off you can see the tango.

It's hella-cool.  Oh yeah, no FSNV either.  Reaper is a 3rd BN Ranger and we made the NVG mask to resemble a real one.  Really hampers your "peripheral" vision.  Tangos don't glow either, you still have to look for movement to spot them.

Done anything (if you're capable of doing anything, of course) to optimize it? The FC NV really drug down my computer.

You lose about 2 fps w/the NVG's on. Suli could explain it better but it's basically built in shaders that are used in game, that he managed to implement to creat the NV.

Hang on, I just installed the public release. I'll get you a screen.

Edited by ruggbutt

You lose about 2 fps w/the NVG's on.  Suli could explain it better but it's basically built in shaders that are used in game, that he managed to implement to creat the NV.

Hang on, I just installed the public release.  I'll get you a screen.

Okay. With the FC NVG I'd lose 10-15 FPS whenever I switched it on.

It got so bad that it was better to go blind in pitch black rooms.

Ok, I lose a couple FPS when I'm running settings at medium. Which is what alot of our squad runs at. I have a 6800GT so I usually run w/everything at "very high" and I lose 10% w/the NVG's on. Soroc has rendered the night maps at half res to compensate for that. The night maps aren't as detailed as far as ground textures, etc. But he's also upped the view distance on the grass and vegetation so it doesn't "pop up". Even those w/slower rigs can run the mod, but you may have to mess w/your settings a bit. I recommend dropping the particle effects and shadows a bit to gain FPS. Some of our beta testers have 9600's, and they can run the game.

Even w/a ti4400 I could run the game, albeit all at low settings.

Edited by ruggbutt

Red Team has the MARPAT (Marine Corps) Camo and Boonie Hats.

These were taken on the remake of GR's Caves. The camo really works on all maps.

XM8 w/red dot scope

FarCry0008.jpg

Benelli M1

FarCry0009.jpg

AT4

FarCry0014.jpg

Blue Team has the CADPAT (Canadian Military) Camo and Kevlar Helmets.

M4

FarCry0015.jpg

G36/Grenade Launcher

FarCry0016.jpg

Benelli M1

FarCry0017.jpg

Low Poly Models

at4.jpg

benelli.jpg

xm8.jpg

High Poly (First Person) Model

kabar.jpg

Edited by ruggbutt

"Done anything (if you're capable of doing anything, of course) to optimize it? The FC NV really drug down my computer. "

Yes, the current implamentation of night vision runs better that the original heat vision (or the NV version).

Current night vision doesnt actually use a shader (i have never seen, nor had i figured out how to get external screen effect shaders to function in far cry (they are hard coded, not scripted). It is a scripted screen effect that will work equally reguardless of hardware (unlike the FC heat vision)

This night vision drops in performance with the number of active dynamic lights in the sceen (not all dynamic lights in FC are actually "dynamic".) However not unreasonably.

the one downfall is it does not seem to scale evenly to the high end cards. (they will actually see a greater performance % hit due to FC choosing to use "dynamic" lights instead of precalculated lights.

but i never really tested it across to great of a spread of hardware so the perfoormance is likely to very somewhat.