Obsidian Edge - a mod for FarCry

ruggbutt

I'm talking about the praise we're receiving after 4 hours into our beta test release of Obsidian Edge. It's a mod for FarCry but it's tactical. We're not trying to remake GR, just add all the elements of the game that we liked plus some from CoD, RvS and OFP. You're welcome to beta test it w/us, we have several servers up and we're working on public comms (ventrilo) for all. These comments are direct quotes from old school GR players, many of who you know. This is an excerpt I posted in a thread on www.ghostrecontwo.com. Just a couple of observations:

AoD Bog: This is pretty **** sweet. They said is was GR on steroids and it is. The maps that are remade from GR are awesome. In fact I found myself getting lost on them cause they look so different with the graphics being to good. Get FC get it patched to 1.31 and get this mod!!!! This is going to be a loong weekend lol

AoD Bog on the TCZ GR forums: I know, I know I should be posting this in the FarCry section but the GR players should here about this. They said it was GR on Steroids and it is!!! I played Tank and Night Bridges but they looked so much better with the awesome graphics I found myself getting lost. lol Of course there are lots of other maps but having something to compare it with GR is nice. There's a server side mod to make your view just like GR where you only see your rets. This is one of the things that made me fall in love with GR and I can see myself doing the same with FC Obsidian Edge. I know GR2 on PC will be better then the one on Xbox and PS2 but I doubt it will be anything like this. I feel like this is exactly what I want GR2 to be like and I'm afraid it won't be. I'd like to thank the Polishing Weevils for letting AOD help beta test this thing and also for all the work they’ve put into it. AOD has been foaming at the mouth to get it since we've heard about it and so far I think everyone’s in love again!!

AoD Splitz: I bought farcry on ebay for $13 plus $5 shipping and it was worth it.

This mod is great, but we need to promote it to get the numbers up. Small investment, great gameplay.

AoD Cruiser: i love this mod i find it better than gr for play .

im going to be playing more farcry than gr .

i bet this this mod will be better than gr2

WDA OPTIMUSPRIME: THIS WILL BLOW GR AND GR 2 AWAY VERY WELL DONE BROTHERS HATS OFF FROM WDA_OPTIMUSPRIME............o btw i wll not be sleeping at friday night my wife going to be ###### lol games all night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................ThaX for letting us help bro im still pumped it's 5:30 in the moring can't wait to get home start playing the mod kick *** rugg and bsr hats off to the coders wow the maps or so nice game play is great .. I'm really impressed with this

Optimus posted 3 times.......lol. All of these were posted w/in 4 hours of the release. I really want all of you to check this out. Grab the game for a few bucks, and take a chance. This isn't about you guys praising me or the mod team. It's about getting all of my friends (you all) back together like it was in the fun, good ol days.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forgive me for being kind of ignorant of the whole proceedings, and I don't mean any disrespect, as the work looks great, but why bother? :huh: Why go through the trouble of redoing maps that already exist in Ghost Recon? Sure, they look good, but what's the point? Sorry, and like I said, I'm not flaming at all, just having trouble wrapping my head around the outlay of effort.

I don't think they are redoing all the Ghost Recon maps, just some favourites of theirs. The rest of the mod, as far as I understand, is new content.

Since most of the people this mods targets are long-term Ghost Recon ladderers, many would be more inclined to try out a mod like this one, because it's a bit familiar.

Look how successful CounterStrike maps became, when translated into GR format. Look at Half Life:Source. Bringing old content forward into newer technology is a popular thing. You get the best of the original, with the added bonus that the new engine can provide.

Just one person's theory, anyway. I'm not affiliated with the mod team in question, but I know quite a few of them from years of laddering.

The majority of the maps are original maps, but we chose some of the GR maps as the gameplay on them were phenominal.

We have also achieved a new first in nightvision in m/p games. When looking at a bright light source w/nvg's, the image intensifier on the goggles overloads and "blooms" or whites out. You'll have to get into the habit of turning them off or get used to being blinded.

There are also some new items that we haven't seen in any FPS's to date. When you're hit w/a round you are spun randomly up to 20 degrees horizontally and 10 degrees vertically.

What we're finding is that GR players are comparing this to the original GR and it's getting rave reviews. For me, I could play this mod for 3 years like I did GR. There are many others that are buying FarCry after their squad mates played it last night.

It's not a GR remake, it's a combination of the best things we could glean from GR, RvS, CoD and OFP. We're fans and gamers and we've made a mod for people like us.

Coop will require alot of the code to be rewritten. The AI is smart in FC and there is a problem w/net sync and other stuff regarding coop. Someone released a coop mod a while back, and it doesn't work well if at all.

This is a multiplayer mod w/2 new gametypes. We might be developing more than these as we're exploring if it's doable. Right now we have 2 small issues that will be resolved w/the next patch. The code is downright solid and we've even fixed many of the errors that occur w/stock FarCry.

This mod rocks its like 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better then the original farcry multiplayer.

oh yah its better then old gr, better then rvs, better then aa, better then cs:s , better then OFP, better then .........

i might keep going.... but it is a lot of fun and addictive.

ok i might of exagerated,

its better then rvs and gr for sure.

OFP is still a very hardcore sim and its tuff to beat that kind of gameplay.

but shoot this is right next to it almost with some minor disadvantages because of the engine....

but crytek said they would be realising a c++ SDK so then i think the engine is all theirs to use :D

A quick update: We're bumping up the nvg bloom 30% in the next build. We'll keep adjusting it till our tech advisor (3rd BN Ranger) says it looks right. NVG's and Binos will come from out of focus to focus upon activation/zoom change. We're also working on a feature that checks file integrity (randomly) so that those that would mess w/game files will not be able to join the server. I can't (for obvious reasons) delve into this further. No promises on this last one, but we're looking into it. We're attempting to activate the demo record feature for m/p. Currently it only works in singleplayer.

There are also some new items that we haven't seen in any FPS's to date. When you're hit w/a round you are spun randomly up to 20 degrees horizontally and 10 degrees vertically.

I implemented something similar in my VBS1 SF addon a couple of months ago. :)

Edited by Parabellum