Southafrican Army Mod

ingeloop

You can fix the "find key" problem by formatting the strings.txt file.

I'm no modder, but I did some reading on this error and looked at other examples, I changed it to this, but it seems some of the entires were missing info, so I just deleted those ones until this get figured out.

Note that the tabs don't appear correctly in the forums, but are fine in the txt.

I think this has fixed most of the findkey errors, but there are some remaining, I don't know how to identify the missing info though.

// weapons and items

WPN_H5   "Vektor H5"

WPN_H5SD  "Vektor H5 Sd"

WPN_H5_AIMPOINT  "Vektor H5 Aim"

WPN_H5SD_AIMPOINT "Vektor H5 Sd Aim"

WPN_CP1   "Vektor CP1 9mm"

WPN_RPK74  "RPK-74 7.62mm"

WPN_RPG7  "RPG 7"

WPN_MP5_AIMPOINT "MP5a6 Aimpoint"

WPN_MP5SD_AIMPOINT "MP5a6 Aimp. Sd"

WPN_EL_AKMS_SD  "AKMS 7.62mm Sd"

WPN_DTD_RUGER"  "Ruger .22 Sd"

WPN_MINIMI  "Mini-SS 5.56mm"

WPN_FN_58  "SS-77 7.62mm"

WPN_M9   "Vektor SP-1"

WPN_M9SD  "Vektor SP-1 Sd"

WPN_MILKOR  "Armtech 40mm MGL"

WPN_FN_FAL  "Vektor R1 7.62mm"

WPN_DTD_AK47  "AK-47 7.62mm"

WPN_SS   "Striker 12g"

WPN_R4   "Vektor R4"

WPN_CR21  "Vektor CR21"

WPN_M26   "M26 FRAG"

WPN_BXP   "BXP 9mm"

WPN_BXPSD  "BXP 9mm Sd"

WPN_GalilACOG_203 "Vektor R4 ACOG"

WPN_GalilACOG  "Vektor R4 ACOG"

WPN_DTD_M203  "40mm granat"

WPN_NTW-20  "Mechem NTW-20 AMR"

WPN_PSG1  "Truvelo SR 7.62"

WPN_SR338L  "Truvelo SR 338L"

WPN_vecktorcr21  "Vektor CR21C"

WPN_vecktorcr21sd "Vektor CR21C Sd"

WPN_MICRO  "Vektor R6 Micro"

Edited by Rocky

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can fix the "find key" problem by formatting the strings.txt file.

I'm no modder, but I did some reading on this error and looked at other examples, I changed it to this, but it seems some of the entires were missing info, so I just deleted those ones until this get figured out.

Note that the tabs don't appear correctly in the forums, but are fine in the txt.

I think this has fixed most of the findkey errors, but there are some remaining, I don't know how to identify the missing info though.

I used TextPad to reformat the Mac "strings. txt" file - worked great. No "findkey" errors yet. But, the AKs sound doesn't work. Anyone having the same problem?

Me and my friend are having problems.

When we host a co op many of the maps just crash to desk top when we start.

It' set to coop, elite, etc and for me the bottom three maps in the list all crash. A few start. For my friend different ones crashed.

any ideas?

Only thing causing the crash was the music.xml you put in the sound folder. I took it out and no crashes, no hang ups--kept your original effects.xml in place. For those who have this mod already, remove music.xml from sound folder, mod should now work, it does for me.

Well spotted. I meant to try deleting different files to pin down the problem, but I'm not sure I'd have thought of music.xml and I didn't have the time anyway. I noticed a couple of music file file names were in upper case rather than lower, but this didn't seem to be the issue.

Clear reporting (and better handling) of parser errors would be a nice improvement for future games in the series, there's no need to CTD just because -- for instance -- the kit file has a character in the wrong case.

I'm going to be tied up the rest of the week, maybe DWG or somebodyelse can fix the !find problem--it shows on dtd's ak47, the r5 and r4 I believe. Also I haven't tested all the weapons to make sure all the sounds work.

That assumes DWG has any time available himself <g>. I've had time to power up GR about twice in the last month. I fixed some problems in strings.txt early on, mostly formatting, but maybe others as well, I can't remember. I don't really have time to re-install and do a comparison, but it shouldn't be beyond anyone: open up the .GUN file of the weapon you're having problems with and check that the contents of the <NameToken> match character for character, down to case, with one of the left hand entries in strings.txt

DWG

I also had a problem with the weapon sounds. They did not open in windows media player, so I opened the sounds in Goldwave and resaved them, and they seemed to work. I had to reconcile a couple sounds, and reconcile the music.xml and briefings.xml files (the original files did not have the .xml extension. I uploaded the files here

if you want them. Also, the strings.txt file redone as Rocky did here

Also seems to be a problem with reticles. Where the pips had semi-transparent alpha channels, saving the files with a one-bit alpha value deleted the semi-transparent part. If someone has the original reticles, they should be saved with the 4-bit alpha channel.

EDIT: I still have ccrashes with the briefings.xml and music.xml files. It seems to work if I turn music off in my sound options.

Also seems to be a problem with reticles. Where the pips had semi-transparent alpha channels,  saving the files with a one-bit alpha value deleted the semi-transparent part. If someone has the original reticles, they should be saved with the 4-bit alpha channel.

Cobaka, I’m confused. :wacko: Do we save in 1-bit or 4-bit alpha. And when you say “original”, what do you mean?

BTW your gun sound files fixed my gun problem. Thanks!

I also had a problem with the weapon sounds. They did not open in windows media player, so I opened the sounds in Goldwave and resaved them, and they seemed to work. I had to reconcile a couple sounds, and reconcile the music.xml and briefings.xml files (the original files did not have the .xml extension. I uploaded the files here

if you want them. Also, the strings.txt file redone as Rocky did here

That strings file (Cobakas version) fixed it for me too, I will add this to the downloads page for others to grab too, thanks Cobaka.

Also seems to be a problem with reticles. Where the pips had semi-transparent alpha channels,  saving the files with a one-bit alpha value deleted the semi-transparent part. If someone has the original reticles, they should be saved with the 4-bit alpha channel.

Cobaka, I’m confused. :wacko: Do we save in 1-bit or 4-bit alpha. And when you say “original”, what do you mean?

I mean whoever made the file or has it (in 4-bit format). For example, if you open the cr21 ret texture in photoshop, you can see that the pip is there but no associated image on the alpha channel. Also, there should be a yellow inverted V in the circle, but there is nothing in the alpha channel so it would show (but in one of the early screenshots you could see it).

A one-bit alpha channel has two states 0 or 1/on or off/completely opaque or completely transparent. If you wanted it to be partially transparent, you would need four bits (the next available number of bits for rsb files).

I appreciate the massive amount of work that must have gone into the mod. The sollution to the crashes are a bit too techincal for an average game player like me though. I used to have the same back to the desktop issues with OFP mods and maps/missions. In the end i just gave up with that game cause it was just hours spent trying to sort stuff out.

Any chance everything can be just made compatible and another full download organized so we can just grab it and drop it in the mods folder and go?

I mean whoever made the file or has it (in 4-bit format). For example, if you open the cr21 ret texture in photoshop, you can see that the pip is there but no associated image on the alpha channel. Also, there should be a yellow inverted V in the circle, but there is nothing in the alpha channel so it would show (but in one of the early screenshots you could see it).

A one-bit alpha channel has two states 0 or 1/on or off/completely opaque or completely transparent. If you wanted it to be partially transparent, you would need four bits (the next available number of bits for rsb files).

it was meant to be without pips, but feel free to add pips if you wish.

I appreciate the massive amount of work that must have gone into the mod. The sollution to the crashes are a bit too techincal for an average game player like me though. I used to have the same back to the desktop issues with OFP mods and maps/missions. In the end i just gave up with that game cause it was just hours spent trying to sort stuff out.

Any chance everything can be just made compatible and another full download organized so we can just grab it and drop it in the mods folder and go?

thx poita, it was really meant to be a "drop and go" mod. i made this on a mac and

just thought that it was just to change from .aif to wav, resave some textures.

just like i do when converting from PC to Mac.

but obviously it´s not that simple other way around.

thx to cobaka for taking the time with the sounds.

yea, wolfs. I'm having the same crashes witha few of hte maps so mayb it's me.

well, i don´t really know man.

i just know this, the ike.log is a really good source of finding whats wrong.

have tried to play ghost recon at work where there is a bunch of PC´s :rolleyes:

and the PC ike.log gives me grey hair, lot´s of info that tells me nothing really.

just lots and lots of mumbo jumbo.

the Mac´s ike.log on the other hand just have the essential info you need.

this is not a super-Mac speech at all, just that PC may not be so user friendly

people say it is.

well, what im i saying you might say.

be careful and pay attention to what mods you activate and the most important,

look at the ike.log.

the most things you can easily fix yourself with limited knowledge of GR.

if not, the is a fantastic forum here that might can.

/ingeloop

Nice credits  :shifty:

I would like to point out that Xian Saint was a huge help when I first tried to get things together. Thanks XS, where ever you are!  :thumbsup:

hey, no problems at all mr C :D

you have been more than helpful with creating this and that.

pure magic!

after all, this mod started after i asked if anyone had some SANDF

skins to share. remember?

i am really up for a second addition to the SANDF mod.

got some ideas and now im pretty sure what´s needed to put a PC

friendly mod together. :D

a guy with a PC that can collect the finished folders and files as they

get ready and test them out.

• 1 month later...

Rocky has been kind enough to place some hotfixes on the download page for SADF, unfortunately, the files can't be downloaded...the host has not made them available (for over a week now).. Ingleloop...could you post these hot fixes over at ghostaholic or better yet, put them in the mod folder. I know several players that are wanting to download this one but are holding back because of the reported bugs.

Thanks...and thanks for giving your time to the modding community.

-MorgTzu