Southafrican Army Mod

ingeloop

richmondskin tested out the atr´s, chr´s in his missions and

he got no CTD

I spent a little while playing about with things last night and split the mod into three: missions, weapons and characters. Missions depends on the others, so I didn't experiment with that, but weapons (with fixed strings.txt) causes a crash to desk-top, characters doesn't (at least not that I saw). The CTD occurred before I had selected any of the weapons, so it looks like GR does even more pre-loading/parsing of files than I had previously believed.

All in all it looks like the problem is with the weapons files rather than the characters. I'll let you know if I find anything more.

DWG

Edited by DWG

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

richmondskin tested out the atr´s, chr´s in his missions and

he got no CTD

I spent a little while playing about with things last night and split the mod into three: missions, weapons and characters. Missions depends on the others, so I didn't experiment with that, but weapons (with fixed strings.txt) causes a crash to desk-top, characters doesn't (at least not that I saw). The CTD occurred before I had selected any of the weapons, so it looks like GR does even more pre-loading/parsing of files than I had previously believed.

All in all it looks like the problem is with the weapons files rather than the characters. I'll let you know if I find anything more.

DWG

very good m8 :-)

can it be that while fixing the .gun files. there may have been some saving into an

unfirndly pc format?

/ingeloop

i looked thru a clean newly DL´d PC equip gun file and noticed that

when looking at info/properties about the file it had the archive box checked.

is that important?

i looked at the sandf .gun and .prj files, they had not this box checked.

can this be a clue? can it be so simple?

i also noticed when looking at the info/properties most of the gun files had a

peculiar ms-dos name like r5~67sd.gun instead of r5_sd.gun.

how come?

/ ingeloop

Edited by ingeloop

i looked thru a clean newly DL´d PC equip gun file and noticed that

when looking at info/properties about the file it had the archive box checked.

is that important?

i looked at the sandf .gun and .prj files, they had not this box checked.

can this be a clue? can it be so simple?

Extremely unlikely. The archive flag is largely insignificant in normal use.

i also noticed when looking at the info/properties most of the gun files had a

peculiar ms-dos name like r5~67sd.gun instead of r5_sd.gun.

how come?

'~67' is likely a character code for '_' that isn't being displayed properly, though I'm unsure which character system it's from. I don't see any problems with character names in my install and all .kit, .gun, .qob, .pob and .rsb files can be opened.

The file m26frag.prj contains spelling errors in the <DamageThroughWalls> tag, about half the .gun files contain a non-printing character following the end of one or more lines (mostly, but not always, the reticle declarations). The music.xml and effects.xml files do not contain normal line-breaks. Unfortunately, fixing all of these still doesn't stop the CTD.

DWG

• 2 weeks later...
Any news on PC version?

LMAO It's seems I'm speaking about GR2 :rofl:  :rofl:

im afraid that i have to disappoint you in this matter.

frankly speaking, it seems that im not able to solve the problems

with the sandf mod.

im so annoyed about this, cos i spent so many months trying to do

something good for people to enjoy and to give back something to

this good community.

everything is working fine with the Mac version of SANDF, so im

going to do things for the Mac platform it seems for now.

maybe help people with the odd job here and there if someone

should need a hand.

/ingeloop

Has anyone gotten this mod to work on a PC? It looks like a great mod!

I've tried fixing some files (based on items described in this thread), but still won't work. Sometimes I don't even get to the Briefing Screen before the CTD. Other times it's CTD when I attempt to select the team.

• 4 weeks later...

ingeloop has asked me to take a stab at troubleshooting his mod. Rather than deal with him in pm's, I'll post what I find in hopes something will click with someone else.

First error was in name of map file folders ingeloop, changing the m to a t in front of m02, etc got me past initial mission screen without a ctd.

However, upon picking a mission for recon(I picked one of the original missions--plantation), it takes me to the squad select screen and doesn't crash for 2-3 seconds then comes the ctd. I checked the first weapon kit of each class and saw no problems there (in my experience you will get an immediate ctd if kit is wrong). I've checked the weapon model/rsb for first weapons in kits and found no problems. I'll check chr models/rsb next as I did for Jokers mod, but since you have so many it will take time.

Edited by TRC

ingeloop, disregard my post above, I took out everything from your mod and put it back in one folder at a time. The sound folder is your main problem--it's causing the crash--nothingelse. I've played reg recon maps without problem. I don't know if it's because your effects.xml is not in proper format or if your sounds havent been reconciled through igor--don't ask me on igor just something I've seen modders mention in the past about reconciling new sounds in igor.

I will try to piece your effects.xml together to see if that does it.

Minor errors found---ica_us_sniper_body rsb in jokers sniper file is a bad rsb and doesn't show up--doesn't cause game to crash--just gives you white body with weeds on it--solution--just delete and it will use origmiss default sniper rsb or get new one from Joker.

Several !find item errors for weapons--thats the strings file and gun files not matching up. Can you email giweda's fixed strings txt?

I told you it would probably be simple problem, it's just finding it in a huge mod takes time.

Some nice things in your mod weapon/skin wise, pc'ers need to enjoy.

ingeloop, disregard my post above, I took out everything from your mod and put it back in one folder at a time. The sound folder is your main problem--it's causing the crash--nothingelse. I've played reg recon maps without problem. I don't know if it's because your effects.xml is not in proper format or if your sounds havent been reconciled through igor--don't ask me on igor just something I've seen modders mention in the past about reconciling new sounds in igor.

I will try to piece your effects.xml together to see if that does it.

Minor errors found---ica_us_sniper_body rsb in jokers sniper file is a bad rsb and doesn't show up--doesn't cause game to crash--just gives you white body with weeds on it--solution--just delete and it will use origmiss default sniper rsb or get new one from Joker.

Several !find item errors for weapons--thats the strings file and gun files not matching up. Can you email giweda's fixed strings txt?

I told you it would probably be simple problem, it's just finding it in a huge mod takes time.

Some nice things in your mod weapon/skin wise, pc'ers need to enjoy.

so good to hear this trc!

really good news indeed.

1. the white texture in jokers sniper file is probably an easy thing to fix.

i can try to resave it in a more pc friendly format.

this is from a mail from grim-hitman i recived some time ago reg. reticles:

PC's can use...

A1R5G5B5 format, 16 bits/pixel, 1 bit Alpha and 5 bits each of RGB.

Mac's require...

A4R4G4B4, 16 bits/pixel 4 bits each of Alpha RGB

or

A8R8G8B8, 32 bits/pixel 8 bits each of Alpha RGB.

i´ll send you a copy of the snipers file.

i think i´ve recived an updated .strings file from dwg, i´ll send it to you asap

along with some resaved sniper textures that goes into and replace old in

xe_jokers folder in character folder. ok? :)

/ingeloop

ingeloop, I'll send you some asprin once I'm done hitting my head on the table. Only thing causing the crash was the music.xml you put in the sound folder. I took it out and no crashes, no hang ups--kept your original effects.xml in place. For those who have this mod already, remove music.xml from sound folder, mod should now work, it does for me. I haven't tried any of your missions yet, but had no problems with recon/firefight games. If there is a mission crash at start of a mission I'd probably recommend removing briefings xml from sound folder.

I'm going to be tied up the rest of the week, maybe DWG or somebodyelse can fix the !find problem--it shows on dtd's ak47, the r5 and r4 I believe. Also I haven't tested all the weapons to make sure all the sounds work.

You should now have a pc friendly mod.

Edited by TRC

ingeloop, I'll send you some asprin once I'm done hitting my head on the table. Only thing causing the crash was the music.xml you put in the sound folder. I took it out and no crashes, no hang ups--kept your original effects.xml in place. For those who have this mod already, remove music.xml from sound folder, mod should now work, it does for me. I haven't tried any of your missions yet, but had no problems with recon/firefight games. If there is a mission crash at start of a mission I'd probably recommend removing briefings xml from sound folder.

I'm going to be tied up the rest of the week, maybe DWG or somebodyelse can fix the !find problem--it shows on dtd's ak47, the r5 and r4 I believe. Also I haven't tested all the weapons to make sure all the sounds work.

You should now have a pc friendly mod.

thanx a million trc!

but what can be done to solve these music and briefing issues then?

i gladly appreciate any help and input and hope that someone can look into this

or maybe instruct me on how to set up proper music and briefing.xml´s

/ingeloop

Your music plays fine without the music.xml and I don't know if briefings is a problem yet as I haven't the time to try any missions, it may be fine, so right now, those who kept your mod need only remove the music.xml and see if the mod starts up for them. I didn't have any problems once I removed it. In my many different personal mods I never used a music xml and my music always played fine.

Patchwise, you need the redone ica_sniper_body rsb, redo your m26frag file damagethroughwalls is mispelled( as previously noted by others) and you won't get your desired effect(left out the h in through) and someone needs to redo/recheck gun files against strings.txt so the !find weapon error doesn't show up.

Got to go to work now.

Have fun Badbru.

hi guys!

as i hope that you´ve read some of the previous posts, it seems that

TRC has perhaps solved the CTD-issue with the SANDF mod.

Delete the MUSIC.XML and BRIEFINGS.XML files from the sound folder

and try the mod out. does it work??

please come with feedback.

i have prepared a patch with fixes.

shall i ask rocky if i can upload the whole mod or just the patch?

if just the patch, i hope people can follow my instr. where to put the files.

/ingeloop

got it working in all its glory on my pc. downloaded the mac version and converted all the files with text strings from mac to dos format. converted the aif files to wav (used awave because goldwave didn't convert all files properly) and deleted the sniper skin which wasn't readable and voila i'm at mission 9 right now and no problems so far. some great missions. i esp. liked the first ones.

Deleted the music and briefing .xml files and fixed the weapons names in the strings text file. Deleted the sniper.rsb. Forgot to activate the opfor vehicles.

Works perfectly. Very nice mod. Thanks.

Edited by Kurtz