Adding a weapons file in another mod

bojack

I am new at this. I want to put a weapon in a different mod for my own use. Now I Almost got it. When I get to chousing the weapon it crashes. I Don’t Know How to Edit the Install.iit. I know the notepad will open it. There are symbols before and after the command.

(Example)

Mods\nmm_modv20\TF_Skin.exe p

"Mods\nmm_modv20\Sound\nmm_akfa.wav p

#Mods\nmm_modv20\Sound\nmm_762ss.wav p

#Mods\nmm_modv20\Sound\nmm_m60fa.wav p

!Mods\nmm_modv20\Sound\effects.xml p

#Mods\nmm_modv20\Sound\nmm_556fa.wav p

%Mods\nmm_modv20\Sound\nmm_mp53bsd.wav p

#Mods\nmm_modv20\Sound\nmm_556ss.wav p

#Mods\nmm_modv20\Sound\nmm_762fa.wav p

$Mods\nmm_modv20\Sound\nmm_m134fa.wav p

%Mods\nmm_modv20\Sound\nmm_m134end.wav p

$Mods\nmm_modv20\Sound\nmm_m60end.wav p

How can I duplicate these symbols and be sure that there the right ones. (Trial and error like I have been doing) or is there an editor for this. This is so different from Age of Empire Mods. I can write an AI But this is confusing or I am getting stupider in my old age. I have put all files in there correct folders and renamed and numbered them. What else is there to do?????????????????????????????????????

Thanks

Bojack

:rofl::wacko:

I am new at this. I want to put a weapon in a different mod for my own use. Now I Almost got it.  When I get to chousing the weapon it crashes. I Don’t Know How to Edit the Install.iit.

So that's what's in the install.iit files...

It's not something you need for moving a weapon between mods, though.

You need to copy the following files:

At least one .kit file using the weapon, be careful not to pick one that uses a weapon you don't want to copy as a secondary (or a primary if copying a secondary weapon). Found in the sub-directories below \kit in the mod.

The .gun file that goes with the .kit. Found in the \equip directory, look in the .kit file to determine the name of the .gun file.

The .qob file that goes with the .gun file. Found in the \model directory, look in the .gun file to determine the name of the .qob file.

The texture file(s) that go with the .qob file. Usually found in the \textures directory. Sometimes the name of the appropriate file(s) will be obvious, but to be sure you get everything necessary you need to download Skinner and open up the .qob file in it to see just which textures it uses.

The .wav files that go with the .gun file. Found in the \sound directory, look in the .gun file for the files listed following <Selective>, depending on the weapon there will be one to four files listed. (If the weapon uses default GR sounds then there is no need to copy them)

The .rsb file for the reticle that goes with the .gun file. Found in the \shell\art folder, look in the <ReticuleTextureName> tag for the name of the file. (If the weapon uses a default GR reticle then there is no need to copy it)

Open strings.txt in \shell, find the entry matching the <NameToken> tag in the .gun file, copy it to strings.txt in the destination mod.

Open effects.xml in \sounds, find the entries matching any sound files you copied, copy them to effects.xml in the destination mod. Increment <count> in the destination effects.xml file by the number of entries copied.

That should be it. In all cases it's vital you do not rename the files or change any of their contents (you can, but then everything else has to be changed to match and this isn't recommended for beginners) and in general they should go in the same directory in the destination mod as they are in the original. .kit files can however be copied into any of the folders below \kit if you want to swap weapons between snipers, riflemen etc.

Most mistakes will unfortunately cause a crash to desktop.

I am new at this. I want to put a weapon in a different mod for my own use. Now I Almost got it.  When I get to chousing the weapon it crashes. I Don’t Know How to Edit the Install.iit.

So that's what's in the install.iit files...

It's not something you need for moving a weapon between mods, though.

You need to copy the following files:

At least one .kit file using the weapon, be careful not to pick one that uses a weapon you don't want to copy as a secondary (or a primary if copying a secondary weapon). Found in the sub-directories below \kit in the mod.

The .gun file that goes with the .kit. Found in the \equip directory, look in the .kit file to determine the name of the .gun file.

The .qob file that goes with the .gun file. Found in the \model directory, look in the .gun file to determine the name of the .qob file.

The texture file(s) that go with the .qob file. Usually found in the \textures directory. Sometimes the name of the appropriate file(s) will be obvious, but to be sure you get everything necessary you need to download Skinner and open up the .qob file in it to see just which textures it uses.

The .wav files that go with the .gun file. Found in the \sound directory, look in the .gun file for the files listed following <Selective>, depending on the weapon there will be one to four files listed. (If the weapon uses default GR sounds then there is no need to copy them)

The .rsb file for the reticle that goes with the .gun file. Found in the \shell\art folder, look in the <ReticuleTextureName> tag for the name of the file. (If the weapon uses a default GR reticle then there is no need to copy it)

Open strings.txt in \shell, find the entry matching the <NameToken> tag in the .gun file, copy it to strings.txt in the destination mod.

Open effects.xml in \sounds, find the entries matching any sound files you copied, copy them to effects.xml in the destination mod. Increment <count> in the destination effects.xml file by the number of entries copied.

That should be it. In all cases it's vital you do not rename the files or change any of their contents (you can, but then everything else has to be changed to match and this isn't recommended for beginners) and in general they should go in the same directory in the destination mod as they are in the original. .kit files can however be copied into any of the folders below \kit if you want to swap weapons between snipers, riflemen etc.

Most mistakes will unfortunately cause a crash to desktop.

SO you just copy and past the name of weapon in Strings.txt The same way they have there in the There String.txt You are going name the file the same way they have there's.

Example

(The one weapon wantFrom one String.txt)

// weapons and items

"WPN_AUTOGL" "AutoGL"

"WPN_P90sil" "FN P90 Silenced"

"WPN_SPAS" "SPAS 12

// weapons and items

(The one that is the String.txt i am puting it in too. and the name for this "WPN_nmm_ (and the weapons name))

// weapons and items

""WPN_nmm_AUTOGL" "AutoGL"

""WPN_nmm_P90sil" "FN P90 Silenced"

"WPN_"WPN_nmm_SPAS" "SPAS 12

// weapons and items

And in the effects.xml in \sounds

Not sure?

just copy and paste at

<SoundVolFile>

<Count>35</Count> then add the number of sound files that i have added

like i have added 4 new sound files then add 4 on the <Count>39</Count>

<SoundVolFile>

thanks

Bojack

Edited by bojack

Forget the last post i put in i've got it working, only thing is that the pic isn't showing up in game ????????????. Not sure what to put in so the weapon will show. Tryed every thing. worked on it for about two hours last night. still works, and shows the weapon in there hands. but no pic in kit file just a white.

Thanks

Bojack

One more thing in the game the crosshairs is a square yellow box you can't see though. Put in and took out all files one by one then tryed the game over and over still works but that yellwo box is still ther. I know the file is there but can't find it. It's not that hard i found just takes some time.

Edited by bojack

Forget the last post i put in i've got it working, only thing is that the pic isn't showing up in game ????????????. Not sure what to put in so the weapon will show. Tryed every thing. worked on it for about two hours last night. still works, and shows the weapon in there hands. but no pic in kit file just a white.

Thanks

Bojack

One more thing in the game the crosshairs is a square yellow box you can't see though. Put in and took out all files one by one then tryed the game over and over still works but that yellwo box is still ther. I know the file is there but can't find it. It's not that hard i found just takes some time.

The kit icon picture and the ret RSB/s are missing. The kit icon filename can be found in the .kit file of that gun. Put the kit rsb files in yourmod/shell/art/kits folder. The ret rsb needs to go in yourmod/shell/art folder. If you have any problems after doing that go in GR and try and pick your gun then exit GR, goto your main GR folder and you should see a file called Ike.txt. Copy everything in there and paste it in here so we can read it.

SO you just copy and past the name of weapon in Strings.txt The same way they have there in the There String.txt You are going name the file the same way they have there's.

I'm not clear what you mean, there's certainly several extra double quotes in your example and you seem to have editted the lines you copied to insert ' _nmm_', where they should be copied unchanged. As an example, three lines from my strings.txt:

"AI_AW50" "AI AW50"

"AI_L115" "AI L115"

"AI_AWC" "AI AWC"

If I'm copying the L115 to another mod, then I need to copy the line

"AI_L115" "AI L115"

to the destination strings.txt. Nothing needs to be changed in this line, it just needs to be inserted in the destination file. Notice that the entries in strings.txt come in pairs, one pair to a line, each member of the pair surrounded by double quotes. The left hand entry needs to be exactly identical to the <NameToken> value from the .Gun file -- in this case that would be

<NameToken>AI_L115</NameToken>

This is one of the values where Ghost Recon is case sensitive, so "aI_L115" or any other variation won't work. The right hand value is simply the text string that will appear in the HUD.

If you get the values in strings.txt wrong the game will still work, it will just display the <NameToken> value in the HUD instead of the right hand.

<Count>35</Count> then add the number of sound files that i have added

like i have added 4 new sound files then add 4 on the <Count>39</Count>

That's right. Sounds are the other value you can get wrong without causing the game to crash, if the sound file can't be found, then the weapon will simply be silent.

Edited by DWG

Forget the last post i put in i've got it working, only thing is that the pic isn't showing up in game ????????????.

My fault, I forgot the icon files -- mostly because I rarely bother copying them. The icon file is specified by the <KitTexture> tag in the .kit file and can be found in the directory shell\art\kit.

One more thing in the game the crosshairs is a square yellow box you can't see though.

The reticle file is missing.

Ok This is what is in the foldes. This is how it is in there mod files.

This is Bad A?? weapon. silent p90, with 15 scope, and a auto grenade lancher 50 shells. bad to the bone.

Equipment Folder: glforp90.gun and p90sil_autoGL.gun

Kits Folder: Riflemans Folder: p90sil_gl.kit

Model Folder: p90sil_autoGL.qob

Shell Folder: String.txt Art Folder : reticle_p90gl.rsb inside the

Kits Folder: p90sil_gl.rsb

The mod that i am puting This into has the rifleman folder: so i put the p90sil_gl.rsb in it there. The original mod that has the weapon in it didn't have any folders in the shell, Art folders.

Sound Folder: are the sound files There correct. Changed the effects.xml to show the correct sound files and Put the new count in.

Textures Folder: p90skin2.rsb

In the no_restrictions.kil file i put <Kit Name="nmm_rifleman-32.kit"/> only had 31 kits for rifleman I changed the name of this file From p90sil_gl.kit to Kit Name="nmm_rifleman-32.kit That's what i did wrong?? That's it Thats what i did wrong I changed the name I'll change it back to original name then try it. Thanks this helps writing it down you can see your mistakes.

I changed the name back too it's original name, p90sil_gl.kit

didn't work. Still no pic and yellow box for cross hair on weapon.

Found the problem p90sil_gl.rsb the others in the folder had + in between the name of first and secondary weapons my file had _. if you understand this i Renamed it when i put the file in the other folder and forgot to change it back.

IT WORKS!!!

Thanks alot for your support.

Bojack

Edited by bojack

Well igot the game to play with all files and also got the pic to work in the game. Just don't have Crosshair site, Yellow sold box instead. i have taken all weapons files out and replaced them one at a time. More than i want too going nut's This can't be that hard. Take files out of the folder and replace them in the same folder.

Hears what iam trying to do. Take one weapons file out cePhantom Weapons Mod and put it back in NMM V2.0 weapons mod. The weapon i am trying to take out is the p90sil_autoGL.gun. Now in the Shell, Art, Kits Folder Ther should be a Four other folders but in the mod cePhantom Weapons there isn't any folders. In the mod NMM V2.0 weapons There is. The rifelman should have this weapon so i put it in the rifleman folder. i put it just in the shell, art, kit too. Why is ther still a YELLOW BOX sorry driving me nuts about this YELLOW BOX for croosehair see i can't even spell because of this. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you

Bojack

load GR, load a mission, pick the gun with the yellow box and launch the game. When the map loads and you see the yellow box, press ESC and exit GR. Goto your main GR folder and find a file called ike.txt. See if it says if anything is missing. If there is copy the ike.txt text and paste in here so we can read it.

Im thinking the ret for the yellow box gun isnt in your mods folder because it cant find it. Maybe NMM made 2 different rets for different guns.

Looked in the ike.txt and said couldn't find the file for reticle_p90.rsb????????????

Thats for p90silent not the p90silent/auto-gernade lancher. OK Got both reticle in there and works go figure??????? So its using the p90sil_autogl for the looks of the p90\autogl and the p90sil for the crosshairs ?.

thanks for the tip just download some guns going to try to make some weapons oh boy if i couldn't get the weapon to work by puting files in a folder. just wait and what i can do with this LOL.

Again Thanks for help the people

you know i'll be back.

Bojack