Ubisoft Marketing Strategy

Dick Splash

I noticed today that Ubisoft are spending a lot of time and effort on their up and coming WWII FPS. Their marketing also features great input from the game's developer, Gearbox Software, and both sites are linked.

The Official Brothers in Arms Website is packed with great features and has been around for quite along time. Gearbox even have there own 'Developer's Diary' website, allowing fans to ask questions.

Both sites are well laid out, coloUrful and upbeat, with a steady stream of updates to keep it fresh, and both sites exist to keep fans informed.

The point I'm making is, is that a new game and a lesser known developer [compared to RS] is receiving a lot of attention and marketing spend from Ubisoft. Ubi obviously have high hopes for this game, and I for one am really looking forward to it. So much so, for the first time ever, I've pre-ordered a game. This one.

If Ubi are giving BiA the 'Red Carpet' treatment, then IMO this can mean one of two things;

Ubisoft are perhaps getting a little weary with the GR franchise and are promoting different franchises instead.

or,

GR2 PC is far from complete and so obviously, there's no need to spend any money on marketing it, even on an official website, let alone a teaser campaign!

I'd like to think the latter, wouldn't you?

We know what we know people!

DS ;)

my opinion is more towards the latter.I feel GR2 PC is still away to go from release hence no real marketing drive.

Also Ubi may feel that a large percentage of GR2 PC buyers will be GR1 players and with GR2 x-box out much is already known about GR2.

Where BIA is new and in need of bringing to public attention in order to gain recognition.

I don't doubt we will see a huge marketing drive nearer the time GR2 pc is going to be released.

well all these fools want GR2 PC to not be an XBox port, yet they want it now.

Its clear you cant have both.

This seems to be a sign that RSE are taking their time on the PC version, which is a good thing.

Ummm your post alludes to something being the same....the something this topic is discussing is GR2, hence why I directed you to the port thread. If GR2 PC was going to be the same exact game it would be a port.

Heck why do I even bother?

I hope Dan's right, I don't mind waiting...  But what if it was the same and it wasn't out till August?  :huh:

airguitar.gif

You say we may have to wait until august for a GR2 PC that is the same as GR2 XBox

But what if it was the same and it wasn't out till August?

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=24154

NYR, being the nice chap he is, directs you to a thread that says that GR2 PC will not be an XBox port

Huh?

:huh:

and you fail to understand this.

I hope there's a demo for BIA.  I'm past the point where I preorder anything until I've played it.

It looks really pretty, from the demo I saw at the WCG. A demo would be nice to play... since i'm a mod on BiA I'll let you know if I see anything Ruggie..unless you lurk there too! :ph34r:

UBI's marketing strategy with PC GR2 is stupid. I don't care how far along it's development is they should have been able to get free marketing by having GR2 mentioned in all the magazines that have had articles about all the hot games coming out in 2005. PC GR2 has hardly been mentioned. BIA has been talked about and mentioned in gamer mags for a long time now and even had the cover pic on PCGamer as one of the most anticipated games for 2005. If I'm marketing a product I would want consumers to be thinking about it over and over up until the time I release it. Is that happening with PC GR2? :unsure:

you talk like the game is finsished. For all we know, GR2 PC is a completely different game to XBox. This means they have to make it. You cant make a game in 5 minutes, beta test in 10,. then have it released the day after christmas. They cant any information cos there isnt any. No screen shots cos there arent any screens to be shot.

Take a chill pill bill. When there is something to show, it will be shown.

you talk like the game is finsished. For all we know, GR2 PC is a completely different game to XBox. This means they have to make it. You cant make a game in 5 minutes, beta test in 10,. then have it released the day after christmas. They cant any information cos there isnt any. No screen shots cos there arent any screens to be shot.

Take a chill pill bill. When there is something to show, it will be shown.

I hope your not referring to my post as I make no mention of or talk like PC GR2 is finished. :blink: You don't wait until you have a finished product then tell everyone here it is now go buy it. I can't remember any well known PC games that weren't marketed well before they were finished. The final surge of heavy marketing usually comes a month or two before the final release but they sure want the consumer thinking about it long before that. :ph34r: I don't understand how you could make a comment about RSE not having any info cause there isn't any if they've been working on GR2 for a long time now. They've got plenty they could tell us if they have indeed been hard at work on it. They choose not at this time for whatever reason. :wall:

But you are thinking about GR2, its all you seem to think about. Ubi could put a screen shot in an envelope, put that envelope in a box, then bury that box in antarctica. And a ton of people would be down there quicker than you could say....something thats quick to say... and be digging it up. Ubi have you eating out of their hands.

And you say they have been working on GR2 for ages now. You dont know that. You know they have been working on GR2 XBox. But you know nothing about GR2 PC.

I believe because development of the PC version was halted last year to give priority to the X-box, UBi have had to change their whole marketing strategy and timing of the PC release.

I'm certain that the content of the PC version was always going to be different than the X-box version purely because i think these guys are proffesionals at their job and know what sells in each respective market.And its obvious to me that they do their research. 1.4million console copies and counting.

If Ubi have had to change their planned release date for the PC version this may give the developers more time to add and change certain features in the game if they feel it will improve it.I would not at all be suprised if we see GR2 PC marketed big style at this years E3 conference or similar events.

With EA taking a 20% share in UBi and talk of hostile takeovers we don't know what troubles are affecting the developement/production of games and how much say EA have in what UBi already have in developement.But i get the impression big shake ups are going on high up in the board rooms.

Just have to wait & see, but saying their marketing strategy is stupid is weird, if there's no certainty of when the game will come out to begin with, not to mention they're there doing this every day and have done for a long time, and know maybe a thing or two more than us, silly little stuff of course like when the game might be out under this or that scenario.

I really hope the game will still have an amount of freedom and a good dose of realism, but how it's going to be off the box, some industry trends have to be considered. Like the modding community already being very much considered an important aspect of how PC games are evolving. Like some predicting the death of PC gaming (I think Sony hires professional comedians), but looking at sales, costs development in near future, looking at how fierce the competition will be it's not hard to understand some priorities, like first get the $ then consider how much can be invested to that favorite project.

Movie directors make 4 typical Hollywood flicks for the masses to make one movie they always wanted to do. Oddly enough people go see those movies. I didn't even want to see Terminator 3 but laughed my ass off and enjoyed my time... sort of like PC gamers bashing Halo2 before ever playing the game on XBox. But I'm not getting there *shudder* nor saying GR2 should be the same on console and PC, I'm saying if there needs to be any compromise, I don't want GR2 to be 25% of what I like off the box, I want it to be 0% and sell with the current crop of fps fans (looking at what sells :whistle: ) and be flexible. That's support, long live the series and everyone's happy.

My 2 newbie cents. You can begin throwing stuff at me now.