eDimensional 3D glasses question?

Hi. Sorry if this is the wrong section for this post.

I bought the 3D glasses about 3 years ago but they were not compatible with my sight for some reason so i had to return them. If the image in the forground was stable then the back ground was double imaged or vice versa. Although what part did work was mind blowing, especially in Operation Flashpoint.

I wasn't sure but i guessed that the center of each lense was either too wide apart or too narrow for my eyes.

I called them at the time and they told me they have no plans to make an adjustable model. On their site now though (a link can be found on the home page here) says that they are adjustable. I sent them an email and they replied that they are adjustable at the 'ear' . . whatever that means.

Also i mesured the distace between my pupils and i'ts exactly 6cm. Can anyone who has the glasses mark the center of each lense and mesure it for me and let me know the distance.

Hi. Sorry if this is the wrong section for this post.

I bought the 3D glasses about 3 years ago but they were not compatible with my sight for some reason so i had to return them. If the image in the forground was stable then the back ground was double imaged or vice versa. Although what part did work was mind blowing, especially in Operation Flashpoint.

I wasn't sure but i guessed that the center of each lense was either too wide apart or too narrow for my eyes.

I called them at the time and they told me they have no plans to make an adjustable model. On their site now though (a link can be found on the home page here) says that they are adjustable. I sent them an email and they replied that they are adjustable at the 'ear' . . whatever that means.

Also i mesured the distace between my pupils and i'ts exactly 6cm. Can anyone who has the glasses mark the center of each lense and mesure it for me and let me know the distance.

The centre of each lense is 65mm apart. The adjustable bit is the leg that extends back over your ear, they can be extended or shortened.

Thank's Rocky.

I did a work up on paper and- though it doesn't seem much and considering that our eyes alreay look inward to a distant center point- that quarter CM closer (off center) on each eye causes dizzyness and an uncomfortable view.

Some friends of mine tried the same glasses and had good vision. I don't know if there is any other reason for the problem. I remember I tried tweaking the software but could never get the result balanced.

Hey effin_GITS, I used to own a pair of revelators, had a polarization-based stereo-slide projector (homemade) and even built a hokey autostereoscopic display once (it was b&w unfortunately)...plus I was also a holographer...I love anything 3D!

So, I believe I might have an idea as to what your problem was with those glasses. It has nothing to do with the lens separation as the lenses are simply shutters...big one-pixel LCD's that switch on or off. Spacing makes zero difference as long as you can see through them unobstructed.

I haven't tried the e-dimensional glasses, but any stereoscopic setup for PC must have adjustable settings, wether they are on the taskbar or buried in the control panel. With the revelator software you could even assign hot-keys to make adjustments from within a game.

If you are seeing double-images, it is likely the result of too much "separation". The left and right-eye images are set so far apart that your eyes must converge or diverge beyond their capabilities in order to fuse the two images in your brain.

There has to be a setting that allows you to lessen that separation. This will affect how deep the image is. Little separation is easier on the eyes, but the horizon may only look like it is five feet behind the screen. If you can adjust to a realistic separation that horizon can look like it is a couple of miles behind your screen. It is often a compromise. Also, a dimly lit room and a high refresh rate monitor (at the very least 100hz) makes it alot easier to watch. Under 100hz and you'll get a flicker head-ache.

There may also be another setting allowing you to change (crap, what's the word I'm looking for) not the depth, but what part of the scene is in the screen plane, and that could also be your problem. For example, you can set it so that when you look at the screen, it appears as though your gun or hand is focused in the screen plane and everything in front of it is way behind the screen...but you can change it so even the gun looks like it is two feet behind the screen, which just doesn't look right. If you have it set way off in the opposite sense, your gun may actually be in front of your screen (also not natural), and while pop-out effects are cool, they are hard on the eyes.

I shutter to think (pun intended) how many people missed out on an amazing experience because they didn't find that right setting. Understanding and mastering those settings can turn your monitor screen into a window you look through rather than look at. And while some games are problematic (everything has to be in 3d), fortunately, most HUDs appears to sit nicely in the plane of the screen when you've got the settings dialed in properly...some are a pain though.

Odds are you'd have no problem viewing stereo images once you find a setting you're comfortable with, though a small number of people apparently cannot view 3d at all for whatever reasons. Thankfuly I aint one of them. My revelators only worked with my ancient geforce2 card. I believe the e-dimensionals work with most modern cards....maybe I'm due for a treat, heh heh.

If you try again in the near future, give me a shout and I can give you some step-by-steps on how to figure it all out...odds are the documentation doesn't explain it very well.

Thank's for a detailed answer Geezer.

I did use the programs adusting tool, even in game. i think it may have bee a little more complicated and sublte though but basically had the two hot keys for adjustemnt.

The problem whe i adjusted the guy staning way in the background (deeper in the screen) so that his image converged into one then the guy standing in for forground seperated. There was no way to get them both converged. As a balance they would both be a little double imaged so i had to choose between having the back ground or fore ground set right, but not both.

I"ll consider getting another pair. I'm interested to hear more about what you did with the projector. Can you pm me and ill give you my email address. I have fantasys about being in a room with an image projected in stereo on all four walls, im wearing the wireless glasses. So whereever i look i'll be in that 3d world. It could be a beach or a desert or out in space, it would be awsome. it could have soft atmosphere sound effects from the respective environments playing.

Also imagine if this site http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen/fullscreen32.html (you need quicktime to see the photo) was displayed in setreo. With the glasses it would look amazing as you rotate around it in space.

Of course, GR2 would be ace . . . if i could get the darn things working right.

Oh and to 'Born to kill' . . i stood very close to a mirror and looked dead ahead to read the tapes reflection so my eyes didnt have to cross .

Heya...I'll get back to you via e-mail effin, but in case anyone else's curiosity gets spiked enough to order a pair of edimensionals, I thought I'd post a warning (i didn't want to get into too much detail before as it seemed I was writing a whole book there.

One of the problems with alot of games in "stereo" pertains to crosshairs. Crosshairs in fps games are mostly 2d overlays. What that means is that while the scene may be in 3d, the crosshair isn't, and in order to focus on the crosshair (which is in the plane of the screen), you must "unfocus" on your target, which makes aiming darn-near impossible. The only work-around is to disable the cross-hairs in the game options (if that is possible) and use the gun-sights (if possible).

I don't think you can do this in Ghost Recon, which may make the game incompatible. Can't see your gun, can't disable crosshairs.

Now I don't know about the edimensionals, but my old Elsa Revelators had an ingenious work-around. If you could disable the crosshairs in the game, you could enable (through the control panel) a "laser sight". This would plug into any game and allow you to see a red dot wherever you were aiming, and the red dot would be in 3d...that is, the dot would be on the target and your eyes could focus on both. Did you recall if the edimensionals had such an option? That would be the deciding factor for me in ordering a pair.

BTW...I use the term "focus" loosely. Your eyes are always focused on the screen surface...the 3d illusion comes from how each eye sees a different image(conveging diverging eyeballs). Which brings me to my final point/suggestion.

Hold one finger a few inches in front of your nose, and a finger from the other hand a foot or two in front of your nose. Now focus your eyes on the closer finger...see how the farther finger blurs into a double image? Likewise, when you focus on the farther finger, the close one blurs into a double image. You cannot foucus on the whole scene at once in the game because it simulates that same effect in reality. Now if the difference in foreground/background foucusing is so huge you can't bear it, likely reducing the separation to a minimal, then tweaking the "depth of field" (?) setting until it looks natural would make a good starting point...then increase the separation.

Unless of course the problem is, as I mentioned, the inability to aim with the crosshair because you have to take your focus off the taget in order to see the crosshair properly. That is a problem you cannot avoid without disabling the crosshairs altogether and (if possible) using the 3d gun sights to aim. I don't think it would be doable in ghost recon. I am wondering about Operation Flashpoint though....I hope the gunsights are 3d but they look like they could be 2d overlays (though I suppose you could close one eye when sighting just as you would in real life).

I have played some fps games that worked perfectly though, but then I had that laser-dot enabled. I hope the same option is available with the edimensionals.

edit: You know, now that i think about it, even with 3d gunsights the target and gunsight are so far apart that I'm wondering if I wasn't closing one eye whilst sighting all along without realizing it (unless of course I was using the red dot option). I wish I could get those darn Revelators working on my 9800pro so I could say for sure...my memory aint what it used to be.

Edited by Old_Geezer