Changing Day to Night

wwoody23

I wasn't sure whether to post this question in "mission modding" or "map modding".

But since it deals with maps, I chose to post it here.

I am new at mission modding and I am currently building a mod.

What I would like to do is change the "caves" map to a night enviroment using Igor.

Page 127 of the "Igor guide" talks about the "Enviroment File Editor" and makes it seem simple to change a skybox setting and create a new env. file for each condition.

Well, I made a new Env. for caves using a "dusk_skybox.pob" for the skybox.

I can save the file, but when I try to load it in the map edit screen and save the mission, Igor crashes!?

Can anyone out here tell me where I'm going wrong?

Perhaps it's as simple as where I save my env. file in relationship to the map?

Does the env. file need to be in the same folder as the origanal map?

All I want to do is change the "caves" map from a day enviroment to a night one.

Even a link to a tutorial or a step by step method that someone uses?

Thanks wwoody :unsure:

Edited by wwoody23

I assume you've created your New mod folder first?

Open Igor, the under file select mods, then check your new mod is activated there.Then load up your mission file that uses your new env.

I have a new mod started, but when I load my env. file into the map editer and save, it crashes Igor.

I copied my file into the orig miss - cave map-folder it works, but that means no one else can use it unless I copy the whole map folder to my mod?

That don't seem right?

Also the dusk skybox still doesn't change the caves map from day to night!!

Just want to change the caves map to a night enviroment?

K you've created you new Mod folder ie "MyMod" which contains a .txt file Modscont.txt, and Map/Mission/Model/ etc folders yes??

IF so when you open igor, you need to activate this Mod ie "MyMod" in the mods section under File tab in Igor. To activate it, tick it name and then press "Close and Refresh" button.It's probabaly working in the caves folder because Origimss is active.

If you mod isn't activated in Igor it will crash trying to load up the mission file from an inactive mod.

The skybox will only change the sky on the caves map, you'll also need to change the Fog to black in the .env file.

Edited by BornToKill_TAW

Don't forget you need to duplicate the directory structure exact. Example:

In your mod folder, you need to have a map folder, a folder with the exact same name as the map your making the env file for, and put it in there. EXACT same directory structure. Otherwise, it's like putting a mission in the sounds folder.

After adding a skybox and changing the enviroment, you should try out the lighting tool (it's on the game-cd).

This will create a new sunlight/ambient light and it will calculate the correct shadows for it.

Use a dark sunlight (I think, I never made a night-map), or no sun at all and only a dark ambient light. Or create a moon-light. Set the fog-color close to the ambient-/sun-light-color.

Else it will look strange when people are lit with bright sunlight (and cast shadows) in night-time !

Look for EL_OSO's mini-lighting-tutorial for info on the tool. Or check level_builder.pdf (also on cd). BTW you won't need 3dsm or anything to do this.

(maybe also check the map-sounds and remove a couple of birdsounds (they do sleep too you know).

GL

Thanks San, for the tip on the lighting tool.

I will search that out and see what I can do with it.

Here's what I have so far for my .env file:

Caves/map

Near range = 1

Far range= 40

Layer range = 90

Layer height = 20

Fog enabled with color set at black

Sky "checked" with m02_farm.pob

It looks pretty good but there are areas that seem pretty bright, still it should be ok

Question modder, about the file structure:

Got files set up like you said and it works, can I name the env. file itself anything as long as I link it through the "edit map" screen?

What I did was open the origanal caves .env , edit it and save it by the origanal name in my mod/map/m01_caves file.

It works in my new mission but when "mymod" is activated it changes the origanal caves mission to night also!

Thanks all, Wwoody :D

Got files set up like you said and it works, can I name the env. file itself anything as long as I link it through the "edit map" screen?

What I did was open the origanal caves .env , edit it and save it by the origanal name in my mod/map/m01_caves file.

It works in my new mission but when "mymod" is activated it changes the origanal caves mission to night also!

You can copy, rename and edit any .env as you please, as long as the .env-file is located in the map-folder.

When you change the .env filename, make sure you update the link in the mission-file or it won't load the map (the map is loaded through the .env-file).

• 2 weeks later...

You can copy, rename and edit any .env as you please, as long as the .env-file is located in the map-folder.

When you change the .env filename, make sure you update the link in the mission-file or it won't load the map (the map is loaded through the .env-file).

Take care that Igor don't let you to edit the name of the env file. In order to achieve this incredible result :P you have to open the mis file with notepad and change it ;)

After adding a skybox and changing the enviroment, you should try out the lighting tool (it's on the game-cd).

This will create a new sunlight/ambient light and it will calculate the correct shadows for it.

Use a dark sunlight (I think, I never made a night-map), or no sun at all and only a dark ambient light. Or create a moon-light. Set the fog-color close to the ambient-/sun-light-color.

Else it will look strange when people are lit with bright sunlight (and cast shadows) in night-time !

Look for EL_OSO's mini-lighting-tutorial for info on the tool. Or check level_builder.pdf (also on cd). BTW you won't need 3dsm or anything to do this.

(maybe also check the map-sounds and remove a couple of birdsounds (they do sleep too you know).

GL

Where can I find the EL_OSO's mini-lighting-tutorial? Thanks!