I never liked O.F, I bought it on release and found it annoyingly finicky and poor to control. As well as that the characters run like girls and your commanding officer cant stop screaming map co-ordinates in your ear. It all added up to a pain in the ass.

GR was like smooth sailing compared to OF.

With all that said alot of people like O.F, and rate its big environments and vehicles as well as the gameplay.

Try it I guess.............but they still run like girls I think :P

I will agree with Storm. The game straight out the box is pretty poor, GR does seem slicker, and better to look at.

Once you add on the addons (Mods) it's a whole different ballgame :)

Check the Screenschot threads and have a look and see.

As for modding. It's probably easier to say what you can't do.

If it's inexpensive then I'd say give it a go. What have you got to lose. If you don't like if I'm sure you'll find a home for it on Ebay.

Make sure you get the Game of The Year edition which includes the Red Hammer, and Resistance upgrades tho.

Yea, I was the same, no game would pass the CD drive unless it had RSE Stamped on it. I picked OFP up really cheap, installed it, played a couple of campaign missions, and uninstalled it.

The Sart started going on about the addons, and I re-installed it. Best move I ever made in my time online gaming. :)

However I have to add, that much of the best things about OFP, is not anything to do with the game, but everything to do with the people who play the game with me.

You know who you all are :wub:

I actually uninstalled GR after buying OFp and OFP:Resistance, and yes, the graphics are NOT cool, and the sound is poor at times, but (and I have not even checked addons)

the gameplay rocks. Big time. Depends though, if you are searching CQB don't go OFP.

(but Imho don't go GR either :ph34r: )

But i admit that the graphics ARE better (until now, no mods or addons) in GR.

Edited by Goettschwan

I've played em both for a good long time and GR had me since the beginning, OFP I didnt really take to, it was a good game with a lot of depth but GR had the edge and thats where I went, But, and its a big but, while GR is great for small scale battles OFP really delivers on the large scale, there's a big community out there when you start looking and OFP editing is a doddle compared to IGOR, if I can knock a mission up anybody can. If you can get it cheap then give it a try, come and play with the guys on the GR.net server, after a couple of missions you'll be hooked, if Nightcrawler can get enthusiastic about a 4 year old game with graphics that arent as lush as GR (till you put some addons in ;) ) then anybody will. Its definitely not a game to play on your own though, in this case the more the merrier.

Personally I think the original game kicks ass over ghost recon any day. OK the graphics aren't so good (but were for there time so not really fair to compare), but so what? It's what you can do with the game that beats it hands down over anything out there today.

Now that the mod packs have increased the skins, you now have descent character/vehicle models/weapon models. Add to that just about every thing can be modded (for instance, someone added in a mod that required goggles on the helmet that you can raise and lower because the dust thrown up from the helo would blind you). Show me a game where you can do something as simple as that - a simple effect suddenly adds 10 times immersion factor.

One thing that is probably a let down is actually the amount of mods for this game. When you make a mission, if it doesn't inlclude any mods, then they won't work for you. This tends to end up with you DL'ing a mission that requires 10 mods you don't own, or not being able to find many missions for the mods you do own.

But then you can always make your own missions based around your favourite mods :)

I prefer OFP simply because I played GR so much that I realised how annoying it was. You know it's time to let go when you know every move the AI is going to make in response to your actions. Throw a grenade, you know they're going to walk slowly toward where you threw it from. Just hide somewhere else and blast them.

The little things started to bug me too - the lack of realistic ballistics. You fire a round at a target from ten metres, it will take exactly the same amount of time to hit as it would from two hundred. There was no craft to combat, it was just point and click.

Overall, the game felt really crude and linear toward the end. It had a good run, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after reading through the VBS1 threads, and seeing a few people advising others to try OFP and it's huge amount of mods/missions I realized that while I had loved the original, I never did get Red Hammer or Resistance. I was still a "style over substance" gamer back then and cutting edge graphics was priority #1. Those days are over.

Reading some of the threads in here sealed the deal. I went to EB before work and found the GOTY edition in the "Previously played" section for $10cdn! The guy said it was still a "shipping" title even though it wasn't in stock. Time to get re-aquainted with an old friend while I try to decide wether or not to take the plunge with VBS1.

Amazing how some games with a niche market can hold a large active community for so many years! GR and OFP have that magic it seems.

that's because u can have the most amazing graphics engine, physics engine, but what u really gotta worry about is GAMEPLAY engine....

OFP, GR, these can keep u going for days. id really like to find resistance so i can get the mods flowin, and i think my dad might've located a copy of it...groovy hehe

QUESTION:

How do you guys make OFP look so awesome and realistic? which mods do you use? I'm interested in modern-day, SOF characters and weps....any help?

Edited by RabidLockerGnome

• 2 weeks later...

I want to quickly put in my 2 cents here. I have owned ofp since it was first made availiable on the shelf, and to me nothing beats it. Indeed, GR comes in right behind it, and beyond that I play nothing more.

Quite simply put, ofp to me is great because if I find myself wanting an adventure rather than an isolated single mission, ofp is the way to go. The islands are HUGE, the freedom is really unreal, and the things you can do are almost never ending, and although the graphics are not as good as GR, I think they did a great job of evening things out to allow such huge areas to play in, and I think the units still look very good anyhow.

The drawback is for mission modders that dont know how to manually script real well, ofp can be overwelming for even moderately complex missions, but the amount of freedom involved in what you CAN do as far as mission making is almost never ending, just requires a good bit of learning unlike GR that comes with its own mission scripter program.

And lastly, if yer gonna use OFP, get resistance (anyway you can) and then goto CTI SITE and grab the latest version of Capture The Island which is a mp game that uses ENTIRE islands for what is in my opinion the greatest mp game ever, and you can play it alone too, just by playing it alone in mp mode. Think you do need resistance for it tho, not sure, I've always had it. Anyhow, CTI games on the average last from 1 - 4 hours, and sometimes I've seen em go up to 6 hours lol, really immersive mission it is.

Anyhow, thats my 2 cents, ofp does take some time to get used to, as there are a good few more commands to get used too, but the commands are user freindly and not tough to learn.

Edited by mr.pibb