best defrag?

swartsz

Disk Keeper, SpeedDisk, Windows defragger. They all perform the same about. Only diff is that Speed Disk and Disk Kepper provide more info.

:blink:

Windows Defrag always took My System at Least an Hour to Defrag and sometimes much longer ( 9 Hours once ).

With NU's SpeedDisk its ranged from a Couple of Minutes to NO LONGER than 20 Minutes to Defrag My HD ( And thats with a Large Level of Fragmentation on My HD the Time that it took 20 Minutes ( 68% IIRC )).

That result right there sold Me Lock - Stock - And Barrel...

Sincerely,

I stopped using NU because it kept telling me to optimize, I'd try to optimize & it would say it couldn't or it didn't need to be. So then I'd use Windows to defrag and Norton would say it still needed to be done.

I found it most annoying, but it really worries me about a virus or something. Any clues? :unsure:

Thats Bizarre as My SpeedDisk runs only when I want It to. It hasn't Yet prompted Me to Optimize My HD.

Thats not saying that SpeedDisk isn't doing that in Your case | I'm just wondering what Auto-Feature within N.U.s would cause SpeedDisk to Auto-Prompt You to Optimize Your HD.

Then theres the Misoperation of SpeedDisk You've mentioned that is unsual as in what I'm experiencing with My PC and N.U.'s SpeedDisk. I have ME for an OS though, and You may be running XP which would be a whole different Issue altogether ( No Doubt as My Knowledge about XP is limited - LOL ).

:blink:Hmmmmmmmm...

Regards,

30% to 60% frag levels?? I don't understand. I defrag my drive 3 times a week and only have 10% to 15% MAX fragged files. What do you guys do to your hard drive? :blink:

I have used Windows 98SE Defrag, 2000Pro Defrag, and XP Home Defrag, and I must say I much prefer the 2000Pro Defrag utility. I have never had the need to use any other utilities such as Speed Disk, or Disk Keeper. Of course, I do a full system backup every Monday, along with a full disk Virus Scan, and another Defrag.

98's utility takes FOREVER and doesn't do a good job, XP Home allows too much free space between optimized files (it's like the Windows Media Player FireStorm Visualization :blink: ), 2000Pro takes about 5 to 10 minutes to completely defrag my 80GB HDD, but I usually have only 10-15% fragged files, usually less.

When you dload 700MB files then you'll havbe bigger frag levels. And system restore OMG it has fragged part like you wouldnt believe!

700MB Files??? Dude.

Ok, I too download massive files, but 7 to 9 hours for a defrag? And me thinks you and System Restore have spent too much time together. ;)

The 700MB files are like movies and such. But yeah 7-9 hours. And my HDD isnt crappy and right now I have less than 10 GB on it. I have used SysRestore 4 times in my life but it is ALWAYS got like over 6000 total fraggments. Right now it is has been 1 week since last defrag about and I am at 59.% and 11.2GB used. My parents puter goes up to 60% in a week alone and they dont do ANYTHING that should make it that fragged... :blink:

?!? What do you do with your PC, I just defragged mine last week and it's only 1% fraggmented this week. I've never even seen mine at 60% ever, that's just strange. The only time I've seen it get to 15% is when I deleted several games and pics etc.

Oh hold on, this is Stinger's PC so I understand now. ;):P

Well I download huge 200MB-~800MB max files. And I move them around but only to my External HDD. I have a total of about 30,000 fragments in my Imesh folder and all the other "big tickets" look like System Restore.... :blink: Last time my HDD was optimized was 2/25/03 thats pretty recent. <_<

Edited by Stinger

what is the best program to defrag your HD?

i am currently working with Diskkeeper Lite

I have that on a disk here - is it worth trying - did you use it?

I usually just use winsdows xp, but it takes about 6 hours :(