Serellan, did you go easy on these guys?

This was the other side of the party in LA that IGN reported on a few weeks back:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/572/572096p1.html

It was a great event. I drove down to Jacksonville, and had a great time. It was great of Ubi and the USO to set up the event. It was cool to give away the games and Xbox's, and the Marines and sailors present had a great time (they really liked talking to the models & celebs in LA over the video link). We had co-op going for a few hours, and then once the LA folks signed on (there was a four hour time difference), we played adversarial. I did jump on for one game, and we stomped the celebs. It was great watching the Marines use tactics and communications to win.

Also, Ubi donated $10,000 to the Armed Forces Foundation, I believe a total of $15k was donated (from what I understand, Alyssa Milano donated her hosting fee too).

http://www.armedforcesfoundation.org/press/2004/12_ubi.html

And yes, Zjj, I have more than one set of clothes!

...I have two. :rofl:

That's all well and good but what exactly does that mean 'donated 10,000 dollars to the armed forces'??? Which armed forces? I presume the American armed forces but Isn't UBI a French company? What is a foreign company doing giving money to the armed forces of another nation?

It's even more ironic in light of the French resistance (no pun intended) to the US invasion of Iraq. Or maybe they were trying to mend fences.

I'm hoping that 'gave 10,000 dollars to the armed forces' was an abbreviation where the part about the recipient being a charity branch of the army was left out. In that case it would be appropriate. I hope though that Americas extreme reaction to 911 hasn't gone so far as to equate the military with charity.

Don't get me wrong, though I’m a Brit I lived in the USA for ten years and love America. I'm not even kidding about that, I actually feel moved every time I hear the words to the 'Star spangled banner' so please don’t bash my point as if it's anti American. I hope you address the deeper point I’m making and don’t disperse the energy of the subject in thoughtless flaming. (edit, though on reflection i needned have added that comment as in my experience the GR.net forums are one of the most mature i've chatted on.)

After WW2 most Americans and even Europeans bore the suffering of their troops with quiet dignity, there was an understated yet firm appreciation for their sacrifice along with the understanding that all had some level of participation. In later times it seems to me that America and Americans have begun to sway in both directions (to both extremes). First they were spitting on their soldiers during the Vietnam era (acts that I think the 'spitters' should have received jail time for) then in the post 911 era there is almost a 'Salem' like or Ma'carthyist (spelled that wrong haven't I?) mania and a nation wide assumption that being a soldier is an almost saintly thing. I feel sometimes that they are on the brink of describing the war dead as 'Martyrs’, if you know what I mean.

You might ask ‘what’s wrong with showing appreciation’, but extremes of both kinds are equally bad and are often symptoms sharing a common cause. I think a good way to encapsulate the subtlety of what I’m trying to get at is to say that the sentiment appropriate to those who have gone ‘above and beyond the call of duty’ is now felt and expressed to those who have merely but admirably ‘done their duty’, be they teachers, soldiers, firemen, police officers or even social workers.

I see this over reverent attitude to all things military in America as a sign of a reaction to insecurity resulting from a gradual losing of a sense of national identity and purpose, especially since the cold war ended, and exacerbated by in increasingly atheist/hedonistic society.

It’s not just the military, you see it in the way the politicians and media use the word ‘teacher’ as if it’s another word for a super sacrificial charity or volunteer worker. Of course all these rolls in society are special and soldiers and teachers are on their respective front lines so to speak. But the heightened reverence shown to them by politicians and the media indicates a sense of insecurity and a need to shore up social attitudes toward them. There’s a tinge of guilt and backpedaling from past abusive attitudes also.

Though I mention the politicians and the media, they in fact mostly reflect and pander to the zeitgeist so the trend is an indication of the current American psyche.

Sorry for the ‘out there’ deep analysis but it’s something I’ve been thinking about recently and is military themed and the comment about UBI sparked me off.

It has to be said thought that I’ll be first in line to buy the PC version of GR2 (though it won’t be on sale here in Korea) so I guess a tiny percentage of that ten grand will have come from me in a retro active kind of way. ;)

Edited by effin_GITS

slow down there chuck, its the armed forces foundation

If you had taken 30 seconds to click the link NYR posted, you could have found this:

Our Mission

The Armed Forces Foundation was established to promote the morale, welfare, and quality of life of the United States armed forces community, including active duty military, reservists, and retired personnel and their families.

Children of military personnel often miss out on participating in special activities with their parents while their father or mother is deployed in defense of our nation's security.

The Foundation organizes a variety of activities and programs to address this need, providing quality support, recreation, and educational services to contribute to the retention, readiness, and mental, physical, and emotional well-being and enjoyment of the military community.

Our History

Last year, the Armed Forces Foundation donated 91% of all outside contributions directly to deployed military families through programs which provided food gift certificates, turkeys for the troops at Thanksgiving and all-day events for families and their children. In addition, we have expanded our honorary board of directors to over 250 members of Congress.

More recently, we were featured in the New York Post (3/26/2003) for sending over 100,000 magazines on behalf of Time/Warner to our troops overseas and USA Today (3/28/2003) recognized our Foundation for its support of military families.

They didnt give it to the military, they gave it to a group that supports the families of soldiers, aswell as wounded soldiers and veterens etc. This kind of organisation needs alot of support.

So yeah, read before you type.

Thanks for the correction. Firmly but politely put.

I did click on the link though, several times thought the evening. it was always dead though.

Ah well, it gave me a chance to say what i wanted. I think the points i made still hold though.

I mean, you have to worry about societies self confidence and educational direction when you see service announcements/appeals to 'teach someone to read today'. Basic literacy should be the starting point, then we go on to urge each other to do good things. But when appeals for saintly acts are the things that are our duty anyway then there’s something amiss.

It’s a subtle but telling shift in attudes. Maybe others haven’t noticed it yet. Don’t think it’s the result of 911 trauma alone either.

Thanks for the correction. Firmly but politely put.

I did click on the link though, several times thought the evening. it was always dead though.

Ah well, it gave me a chance to say what i wanted. I think the points i made still hold though.

I mean, you have to worry about societies self confidence and educational direction when you see service announcements/appeals to 'teach someone to read today'. Basic literacy should be the starting point, then we go on to urge each other to do good things. But when appeals for saintly acts are the things that are our duty anyway then there’s something amiss.

It’s a subtle but telling shift in attudes. Maybe others haven’t noticed it yet.  Don’t think it’s the result of 911 trauma alone either.

I'm going to steal a quote from Dan from another thread.

"I don't like you." ;)

Keep the thread on topic, please... be a shame to get it locked over a political or idealogical *ehem* discussion (that will sooner or later turn into a flame war)

Edited by WP33

'Salem' like or Ma'carthyist (spelled that wrong haven't I?) mania and a nation wide assumption that being a soldier is an almost saintly thing.

Was skim reading, couldnt help noticing some form of my Second name there, the name is McCarthy, and the red scare factor type Salum witch trials thing your reffering to was known as McCarthism. Anyway food for thought, if ya read the first few pages of The Crucible that great play that, comes in cool movie format also, the Prolog has a few pages about the red scare and McCarthyism,

anyways carring on from the point made Stay on topic of fear the Rock......erm...y

I mean, you have to worry about societies self confidence and educational direction when you see service announcements/appeals to 'teach someone to read today'. Basic literacy should be the starting point, t

Meh, my country has one of the highest literacy standards in the wrold, as with a high standard of living, i care not for your ramblings.

Back to the ###### marines....

So thats what these youngbucks do nowadays! During WhiteKnight77's and my time in the Corp we painted rocks, and picked up stuff off the ground..."If it doesn't grow, it goes!" yells my Sgt. If you got time to watch tv, you got time to press your socks, and trousers to get the razor sharp creases...

spoiled brats.....

*Cpl walks away with envy* :wall:

I mean, you have to worry about societies self confidence and educational direction when you see service announcements/appeals to 'teach someone to read today'. Basic literacy should be the starting point, t

i care not for your ramblings.

Back to the ###### marines....

Dan... :wub: You kill me man. effin GITS, :offtopic: Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion of the MARINES STOMPIN' THE "CELEBRITIES"

So thats what these youngbucks do nowadays!  During WhiteKnight77's and my time in the Corp we painted rocks, and picked up stuff off the ground..."If it doesn't grow, it goes!" yells my Sgt. If you got time to watch tv, you got time to press your socks, and trousers to get the razor sharp creases...

spoiled brats.....

*Cpl walks away with envy* :wall:

Hey, I was a winger, I had FOD walks every morning, especially if I wasn't preflighting a bird. If I wasn't flying, I was doing routine maintenence on my bird. I painted (and got painted) with non-skid.

On a semi-related note to the original topic of this thread, Yahoo! News has an interesting article about how U.S. Marines in Fallujah are using video games to help unwind and build morale.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._gung_ho_gamers

I saw an image of a Marine holding a Gameboy Advanced before in the newspapers.

Edited by Arms