Intel still the best overclocker?

RooK

I remember Stinger saying that one of the good point of a Intel cpu is its overclocking ability. Their 3ghz cpus have reached upwards 4ghz with extreme cooling (from the 3.06ghz model). He even noted how an AMD cpu hasn't hit an actual '3ghz.' Time to sit in awe. ;)

Found this recently, and apparently AMD's Barton cpus are very very good overclockers on nforce2 boards. A few even topping out at 3.1ghz, over a 1ghz overclock! I believe AMD is steadily getting better and better. http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/AMD/Barton/

The mention of cooling brought back to mind an article in a pc mag that involved a liquid cooled computer (p.c.). An expensive piece of equipement, but

extremely interesting. Naturaly, I have no recollection of the magazine, issue, ect. Sorry. I loaned it to some comuter geeks who never returned it . I"ll try to dig up some info though.

This Barton Core looks promising. Of course, any chip properly cooled will attain high clocks, however, I believe this may provide the catapult that some people think AMD needs to succeed. Perhaps people will finally realize that a good processor is not based on GHz alone. I'd like to get my hands on this CPU. Perhaps in 6 months when the prices fall. :)

Shoot, with LN2 or Dry Ice, I could probably get my 1.8 approaching 2.4 or 2.5GHz, maybe more. But me thinks my wallet couldn't take the purchase of a VapoChill PE and rebound successfully. ;)

Thanks for the info RooK.