DVD or CDRom

pz3

Would you buy GR2 on DVD or CD Rom if it came out on both?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

CD media whether it be cdr, dvdr or blu-ray can all have faults when scratched as plasic is easily damaged regardless form its in...

the cd media we all take for granted has been aroud since the early-mid 80's on the comersial level... domestic late 80's to early 90's... last year was the 1st time i had dvdrom in a pc, my new now has a dvdrom and dvdrw-DL burner....

for software copying i wouldn't use it unless the exact same encoding unit and software is used as the unit watermarks the disc after copywrite protection is added....

for home dvd backup it works quite well...

using the right software..

CD media whether it be cdr, dvdr or blu-ray can all have faults when scratched as plasic is easily damaged regardless form its in...

Actually in the case of all record-able media it's not the polycarbonate/plastic part of the disk that's vulnerable to damage. The record-able media is now sprayed on top of the disk (label side) and is thinner then a coat of paint.

All optical media can tolerate, compensate for, and error correct a great deal of scratching on the clear side of the disk -- but record-able media is most vulnerable on the label side where even invisible scratches, marker pens, some label adhesives, and even pressure can completely obliterate data.

Because DVD disks are higher density then CD an equal size scratch or fault will obliterate a lot more data on the DVD, and error correction schemes regardless of how elaborate can only fill in so much missing data...

If you had for example a picture of the Mona Lisa on a CD and a DVD, and both were scratched in an area precisely covering the image with a same size scratch -- error correction can likely correct for lost information that only removes a small swatch of the image data, but if all you have left is th equivalent of Mona's right eye no error correction scheme is going to be able to reconstruct her face from just an eye...

:geek:

DVD, hands down for all games over 1,4Gb.

Why? Less disks and DVD-ROMs have been optional or standard in all new computer packages in the last 4 years. So it's pretty much a standard thing to have, so those that don't should get it because it's what should be used today when games/media get to this size.

I have a few games om DVD. But whould have liked many more. I hate 3CD and up games...

i tried asking serellan how big the xbox version was, he really didnt know :(

but it kind of sounded big........

the new patch for xbox version thats in the works with new maps etc..... im hoping they release it on dvd :D

I have seen several games nowadays, LOTR: Battle For Middle Earth being one of them, that are released on both DVD and PC CDROM.

Me? I'd go for the CD ROM, just because it will work in both types of drive. If you buy the DVD version, and your drive takes a header and all you have is a CDROM or CDRW in your PC, you either have to go and buy a drive right away, or do without.

The CDROM version will work in DVD ROM, CDROM, CDRW, DVDRW. THe DVD version will only work in DVDROM and DVDRW. :thumbsup:

Me?  I'd go for the CD ROM, just because it will work in both types of drive.  If you buy the DVD version, and your drive takes a header and all you have is a CDROM or CDRW in your PC, you either have to go and buy a drive right away, or do without. 

The CDROM version will work in DVD ROM, CDROM, CDRW, DVDRW.  THe DVD version will only work in DVDROM and DVDRW.  :thumbsup:

Very good point and one I overlooked when I said I'd want DVD game disc's. :thumbsup:

My media consideration is also based on longevity and durability rather then conveninece... How often do you reinstall your games? I'd much rather have the more rugged CD media that I know is going to work and spend an whopping additional minute a couple times a year installing, then have a game DVD that's useless because it got dropped or sat in the sun for an hour...

:o

Edited by Hoak

i think both beeing released would be fine with me...

personally i reformat like once a month and backup a lot (weekly)

so id like a dvd im tired of reinstalling,

HL2 RVS AS Farcry SC GR,D,S,IT 3dsm5 and 7, photoshop

grand total of cds used

and more for drivers and such but jesus thats just for games and my modding stuff

Why is the DVD less durable over time than a CD? Is it the data compression? I am aware that games are already being released only on DVD, an example (not a good one) being Nam 67. How do movie DVDs stand up over time? I just rent them, so I cannot comment.

Edited by Kurtz

Why is the DVD less durable over time than a CD? Is it the data compression? I am aware that games are already being released only on DVD, an example (not a good one) being Nam 67. How do movie DVDs stand up over time? I just rent them, so I cannot comment.

Hi Kurtz, I think I answered this earlier in the thread but it's essentially due to DVDs much higher data density.

Because DVD disks are higher density then CD an equal size scratch or fault will obliterate a lot more data on the DVD, and error correction schemes regardless of how elaborate can only fill in so much missing data...

If you had for example a picture of the Mona Lisa on a CD and a DVD, and both were scratched in an area precisely covering the image with a same size scratch -- error correction can likely correct for lost information that only removes a small swatch of the image data, but if all you have left is th equivalent of Mona's right eye no error correction scheme is going to be able to reconstruct her face from just an eye...

Now in the case of media like video and music, error correction can much more forgiving then with software... In fact video codec/decodecs have their own error correction schemes as well to compensate for the eventuality of loss and the worst you see is a dropout. Software is not so forgiving, loose enough data that the error correction fails to make a clean correction and executables like installers may not even run... Of course games have a lot of media as well; sound, video textures but most installers have CRC schemes and if these detect errors they fail...

I'm not suggesting DVD is something grossly fragile, but it's certainly not the durable storage medium a lot of people assume. The Library Of Congress did a big project studying the lifespan of digital media, and it can be alarmingly short... The part of the disk substrate that actually has the data etched is subject to oxidation, so exposure to light and air as well as handling result in eventual and surprising data loss...

Mass production and efforts to drive costs down have made both CD and DVD (as well as CD-R and DVD-R) media increasingly more fragile... But due to lower media density and more robust process CD is still more rugged.

Just a heads up, as a lot of people still miss this important fact; your digital media CD, CD-R, DVD, and DVD-R is much more fragile on the printed (label) side of the disk then the clear optical side... Record-able media especially so as it's the optical dye is just a layer of paint now that can be scratched and even pealed of the disk, but even stamped pre-recorded commercial media is precariously thin and vulnerable here. The laser optics can scan through a transparent scratch on the clear side of the disk and after enough turns read the data, but a scratch on the label side can literally obliterate data so that it can never be read again.

A better way to describe the differences between a CD-ROM and a DVD-ROM is this:

Let's say that they pits where information is stored on a CD-ROM are a half in long and that a DVD-ROM has pits that are 3/16th" long. Now put a scratch that is 1/16th" on those pits. The DVD-ROM's pits have lost a third of their data and is now corrupted compared to the CD-ROM which only has an eighth of it's data messed up. Error correction can handle that over what you have with the DVD-ROM.

with the new 8gb disc for dual layer alot more info can be stored on the disc that what could be done before, so i would choose a meda that gave me less disc count than the standard cdr disc count...

i'm not looking forward to having a game having from 5-15 disc's just on install of any 1 game so i will have to side with the dvd format for the time being, til they work out how to fit 1-3 gb on a cd-r from now on in dvd will be my main stay for games as cdr has still got a limited compasity up to 850 mb's...

I'm for DVD purely for ease of use, rather than all those CD's.

[Edited - Forum Rule 3.7] and the durability is yet another arguement in favour of the consumer being allowed to protect their games.

I personally think you should actually have to buy a licence code that unlocks the software package, so then you can obtain a copy from anywhere, be it a friend or the web should yours get damaged and then you use your licence code to unlock it.

Or publishers should give you free of charge a replacement if your disc becomes damaged as long as you can prove purchase.It costs pennies to make a DVD/CD thats mass produced.

Edited by Pave Low

Or publishers should give you free of charge a replacement if your disc becomes damaged as long as you can prove purchase.It costs pennies to make a DVD/CD thats mass produced.

Check the back of your GR manual, or come to think of it, any RSE/Ubi game manual it will tell you:

After the 90 day warranty period:

Please return the product (media only) along with a check or money order for the amount corresponding to your product (see replacement fees below) made payable to UbiSoft, a brief description of the difficulty you are experiencing including your name, address and phone number to the address below.

For a small fee, you can get replacement disks. I can't say for sure, but I believe most companies have the same deal going on.

I'm for DVD purely for ease of use, rather than all those CD's.

[Edited - Forum Rule 3.7] and the durability is yet another arguement in favour of the consumer being allowed to protect their games.

I personally think you should actually have to buy a licence code that unlocks the software package, so then you can obtain a copy from anywhere, be it a friend or the web should yours get damaged and then you use your licence code to unlock it.

Eh, I'm not so sure about this. As you all know, pirates will be pirates anyway that you go about it. As for defective discs, I think they owe it to ya to replace it only if its damanged upon opening or within a certain number of days. After that...I'm not quite sure yet (I love disc resurfacing hehe). The code is a good idea, but again, very easy to pirate. Maybe one day there will finally be a good answer for this situation.

I’m not sure what some of you guys are saying about DVDs is that important.

Now, I am referring to DVD movies but I assume they are the same as a game DVD. I have plenty of DVDs and have scratched them yet they still work. I have also done some research on the subject and DVDs can last a very long time... about 100 years (excluding you tossing them like frisbees).

The new HD DVDs and Blue Ray Discs are suppose to be even easier to scratch but its been reported they just came up with a harder coating to put over them... Anywho, I don’t believe this whole scratch thing is that big of a deal. That’s just my non scientific opinion though.

I vote for DVDs!!!

Edited by EasyCo

Read the previous posts Easyco, DVD videos, when scratch error correction only shows as a dropout in the picture.

Error correction can't rewrite missing code, so therefore there's a very good chance the game wont run.

Hence the debate :)

I'm DVD cus i want one disk only plus all the other goodies they ram on a DVD to fill it up :)

But I don't think i should have to pay for replacing the DVD when its knackered from it being in my DVD drive for ages just so i can play the game, when i've already bought it once.

Small postage fee i can live with, as stated it looks like they replace them anyway for that small fee, SO Bring on the DVD.

• 2 weeks later...