SOAF maps

callmehobbes

there are 3 soaf map packs that have been out for a long time that have several maps. do a search for them. we used to have them on our site until ubi told us that we did not have permission to put them out for download. although i honestly think they misunderstood what these mappacks were.

there are 3 soaf map packs that have been out for a long time that have several maps. do a search for them. we used to have them on our site until ubi told us that we did not have permission to put them out for download. although i honestly think they misunderstood what these mappacks were.

Those map packs contained copyrighted material that allowed people that did NOT own SOAF to play the SOAF maps. If people can download the SOAF maps without buying the game, how are the Red Storm people going to feed their families?

RSE/Ubi have said it's OK to use SOAF with GR if you bought and OWN both games.

Anyways, SOAF is available real cheap now with the Tom Clancy Counter-Terrorism Classics pack.

http://forums.3dretreat.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5306

I bought the 3 game pack for $10 Canadian at Staples. The best thing is it has Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear code updated to properly install on WinXP.

Your only allowed to use those maps in GR if you own both GR and SOAF, your best bet is the converter, which if I'm not mistaken is in the d/l section.

Not to cause any trouble here, but ive seen the staff here go back and forth on the issue of SOAF maps. I recall times when you've placed mods(No Easy Day) on front page news that contained some of the SOAF maps.This is not a new issue nor am I intending to bring up the debate, Im just wondering why GR.net seems to keep switching positions on the subject.

Edited by sleeper

Your only allowed to use those maps in GR if you own both GR and SOAF, your best bet is the converter, which if I'm not mistaken is in the d/l section.

Not to cause any trouble here, but ive seen the staff here go back and forth on the issue of SOAF maps. I recall times when you've placed mods(No Easy Day) on front page news that contained some of the SOAF maps.This is not a new issue nor am I intending to bring up the debate, Im just wondering why GR.net seems to keep switching positions on the subject.

Show us where we have said you can download maps from SOAF if you do not have both games. Unfortunately, after the forum hack of 2003, we lost the pinned post quoting Greg Stelmack stating that no one can distribute the maps without possible legal action. The only way you could distribute them were with no textures so that you had to have both games in order to play. IIRC we have a mod in the Downloads section that is just like that.

NYR is correct, you cannot legally distribute the SOAF maps to those who do not have SOAF and that is the stance of GR.net.

Show us where we have said you can download maps from SOAF if you do not have both games. Unfortunately, after the forum hack of 2003, we lost the pinned post quoting Greg Stelmack stating that no one can distribute the maps without possible legal action. The only way you could distribute them were with no textures so that you had to have both games in order to play. IIRC we have a mod in the Downloads section that is just like that.

NYR is correct, you cannot legally distribute the SOAF maps to those who do not have SOAF and that is the stance of GR.net.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19114

The link to download them is still in this thread. If it it's frowned upon why wasn't it edited out?

I have been straining at the leash to use SOAF maps, but upon advice from Rocky, did not use them in any publicly released Mosds due to legal issues.

I was suprised when DTD in "No Easy Day" used several SOAF maps in there mod, and had no Public comment from the Staff here as GR.net about it. :blink:

On this basis, I was going to use the same maps in my next Mod - and if pulled on it by the Staff, point out this point to them. :devil:

To my knowledge, only the "Prison" Map was made avaliable by RSE, for useage on GR - no others have been. :yes:

If this IS not the case then please, (again) can we have a definitive answer AND the Staff themselves be aware - Im not trying to be a pain about this, I just think it needs clarification AND action as appropiate. :thumbsup:

I honestly don't see why we can't use them since they are ported maps. BUT I was told by a member of Ubi that these were not allowed to be given out for free download to people. It was one of 2 reasons my site had to switch hosts. We currently do not have these up for download. But our old host told us to remove them or we would lose our service and money that we had invested; which was a full year's service @ $80/month. But the real kicker was that they locked our downloads folder so that we could not get into it to remove the files from the server without deleting the folder, which in turn deleted every download file we had which was 2 gb worth of files. So, I deleted the whole folder and got most of the money back from the hosting and went somewhere else for hosting. The other reason, I will not bring up again on these forums. Since when it happened and was posted here, it started a Flamefest. I respect this community too much to bring that back up.

It is hard to understand the reasoning behind GR players not being allowed to use these maps if they do not own a copy of SOAF. How can they tell who has a copy of the game and has these maps? I suggest not using these maps. Although I like most of them. But I do have to bring up 1 thing ........... what about maps ported from other games like de_dust, chalet, and aztec among others. Some were ported from CS and UO. Yet they are ok to use. Kinda strange don't ya think or is it just because SOAF is from same company?

Thank you for pointing that thread out.

Links have been removed.

As far as de_dust or aztec from CS, the original maps from that HL mod are completely incompatable with maps from GR or even RS. They have to be recreated in 3dSM (ported) to work with GR. That is legal as it is someone else recreating the work and many map mods are like that. There is even a RS Chalet map for GR that LowProfile did along with the Castle map.

More here.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...58&hl=soaf+maps

Still no comment about DTD No Easy Day though. <_<

Read this topic

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...opic=18515&st=0

As you can NED was already in breach of rules for other violations. Referring to SOAF maps on it frankly I have to admit that I didn´t realiye they were taken from SOAF since I thought they were custom maps :stupid:

:angry: dont know why my post was removed not very nice, hobbes has stated he had the soaf disc, so i pointed him to the mod which is at a "Affiliates" site @WAR if you dont like links posted for them then remove there link from gr.net site and as long as soaf maps are up for DL at @WAR not GR.net then i feel i have a right to post the link to thoughs who have the soaf game such as my self who thought soaf sucked but enjoyed the maps..

As for the maps in No Easy Day, yes there were a couple SOAF maps in there. You probably couldn't tell because they were completely retextured for the most part, and flipped day to night.. The mod's been out for over a year. Version 1.5 update will be out soon, btw.

DTD comin up on 4 years!

Coco