Iraqi Military Weapons

jmcdonald

As far as I know there is only one country on this earth that uses the L85A2 (SA80) and that's the UK. Seriously doubt that it was Iraqi troops shown due to that.

And I'd say the standard Iraqi weapon would be the normal AK47..without the GL

Maybe they ran out of Kalashnikovs?

(stupidest reasoning ever btw :thumbsup: )

Possible Iraqi SF? I remember seeing pics of Iraqi SF somewhere with M4's.

Well supposed SF, it was a picture from the AP so you can never be too sure about anyone being who there said to be.

Edited by Zantar45

true...but SA80's???? There's only one country on this earth that uses that perticular weapon and I seriously doubt any of them would be found and redistributed to iraqi troops.

Wish someone would find the pic of it so we fully can find out what is afoot.

true...but SA80's???? There's only one country on this earth that uses that perticular weapon and I seriously doubt any of them would be found and redistributed to iraqi troops.

Wish someone would find the pic of it so we fully can find out what is afoot.

I'd have to agree, let's see the beef first before we eat the hamburger no?

I just saw on the news a picture of 2 Iraqi troops patrolling an area with SA80s?!  :blink:  Is this the standard weapon or something? Or maybe Iraqi SF guys? I thought the standard was Ak47 w/attached gl.

Only the UK uses the SA80 and it was a big mistake because they were better off with the L1A1 semi-auto rifle. Just like the US was better off with the M-14 rather than the M-16.

Just like the US was better off with the M-14 rather than the M-16.

So... if the M14 is so much better then why is the M16/M4 family of weapons so popular with so many western special operations groups?

because its cheap,easy to maintain,and its light weight. Plus the post vietnam age has seen a falling out of 7.62mm weapons and 45 cal. pistols (except the AK-47) with the rising of the 5.56mm weapons and 9mm pistols. Now the 45 cal. has been seen rising from the ashes thanks to terrorism and counter-terrorism. Oh and its takes more than 3 rounds to drop a bad guy with 5.56mm and the M-16 and M4 only operates well in area thats not swampy,an area thats not a desert,or an area thats not freezing cold. So most countries are mislead that just because the all-mighty US special forces units use it that means its the best weapon you can buy. Edited by Foxtrot

Hey Foxtrot, when you have something important to say, say it with background experience. I regularly go out with my M4, and I regularly maintain it, and despite getting sand from a sandstorm from training in Kuwait, the weapon operates reliably, and I've been in about six ambushes, and it's never failed. So uh, just read, rather than type, because really, you don't know what you're talking about.

Plus the post vietnam age has seen a falling out of 7.62mm weapons and 45 cal. pistols (except the AK-47)

And for the record, the 7.62mm X 39mm round the AK47 fires is different then the 7.62mm X 51mm NATO cartridge used in the M14.

Hey Foxtrot, when you have something important to say, say it with background experience.  I regularly go out with my M4, and I regularly maintain it, and despite getting sand from a sandstorm from training in Kuwait, the weapon operates reliably, and I've been in about six ambushes, and it's never failed.  So uh, just read, rather than type, because really, you don't know what you're talking about.

Yea whatever flamer

To FuSaKi: I know but thanx for the heads up ;)

Edited by Foxtrot