Any SERIOUS programmers here?

Parabellum

Hey guys (and ladies),

Let me toss something out here and see what happens. If you've played OFP or VBS1 in the past few months, you probably know about Kegetys' DXDLL program, which uses a modified DLL to allow the game to take advantage of DX8's post-processing effects like blur, NVG effects, color effects, and reflections. It occurred to me that the same thing should be possible with Ghost Recon. I'm not a programmer, but it seems to me that there must be some people in this community who can do such a thing. Why hasn't someone already done that for Ghost Recon? GR would look so much better with post-processing effects.

As far as I know, all the source code in Ghost Recon is compiled into various files, so you will need a decompiler to edit those and I guess only RSE has it. When it comes to bumpmapping, normalmapping, specular mapping you mentioned in the Dynacomp thread, this is DX9 features. Start modding some characthers in Source and you can use that as much as you want... ;)

very interesting idea Para. :yes:

Biro, are you saying that it's just not possible for GR? I mean, i haven't really looked at OFP/VBS1 but people must have decompiled that somehow right? :huh: Anyway, just asking, don't really know that much about serious programing.

Sounds too much like the BallisticX cheat that has direct X hacks in that make people glow with chameleon skins etc.

Anything that can give you the ability to alter what you see compared to others is pretty much a cheat in my mind and shouldn't be considered, as good intentions could be twisted to bad ones by unscrupulous people.

Yes, I don't think it's possible for GR as the code for the engine itself have been compiled. This is the reason why you don't see any "groundbreaking" mods for GR either, as it's not possible to edit the sourcecode so I don't think it's possible to edit this either.

A really good programmer could probably have figured out of this, but then he would have been breaking the law as it's RSE/UBI property I think.

I'm not sure about OFP but there I belive some parts of the code is open for the public to change, or a good programmer did this in a legal way. I'm not 100% sure about anything...I'm just guessing.

The DXdll that Para refers to, deals with the way that the textures are processed, I think it affects more the way that DX8 handles effects more than actually changing the game. I could be way off, but that's what it looks like to me, as the interface that comes with it, deals with postprocessing, and glare, and things like that.

Yes, I don't think it's possible for GR as the code for the engine itself have been compiled. This is the reason why you don't see any "groundbreaking" mods for GR either, as it's not possible to edit the sourcecode so I don't think it's possible to edit this either.

A really good programmer could probably have figured out of this, but then he would have been breaking the law as it's RSE/UBI property I think.

I'm not sure about OFP but there I belive some parts of the code is open for the public to change, or a good programmer did this in a legal way. I'm not 100% sure about anything...I'm just guessing.

ok. thanks for clearing that up Brio. pitty...

You never know, Bungie released the source code to the public for Marathon just in the last year or so (Marathon was a doom-style game for Mac, except much better than doom :D ) Maybe years from now when Ghost Recon is long forgotten by most people, the developers will release the source code. Then again seeing as how RSE is under greedy Ubisoft its probably not likely. Just my 2c.

You never know, Bungie released the source code to the public for Marathon just in the last year or so (Marathon was a doom-style game for Mac, except much better than doom  :D )

OMG! :rofl: i had no idea anybody else played that game! It was my first computer game, was amazing....when i was ten...

Para, good idea. If a server was running punkbuster I believe you'd be punked. Also it sound like it would have to been run as a mod? It may not run with other mods etc. I'm not into programming etc. but that's what I think anyway.

Edited by jmcdonald

Well, I did a bit of tinkering. It turns out, Ghost Recon does recognize the modified DLL file. It even displays the message "DXDLL Active..." when the game is loading (which is what it's supposed to do). However, the game crashes when it gets to the main splash screen. Perhaps there is still hope. :) Maybe someone who's well-versed in programming can figure it out.

Potentially it violates the reverse engineering restrictions of the US Digital Millenium Copyright Act, and the US claims the right to prosecute DMCA violations no matter where in the world the law was contravened.

Not something to try without a waiver from RS/Ubi saying they're okay with it...

DG

I don't think that the GR exe has to be modified in any way to get it to work. According to feersumendjin, one of the guys who made the dll for OFP, the dll itself is what needs to be modified, not the game. The dll simply processes each frame after it is rendered by the game.

I bet it needs to be program to activate once the game is started not in the menu screen. The menu screens have always been weird in GR, specially if you had Voodoo Gcard! My guess anyway. I might know someone who can help will speak with them.