Glitch Recon

Those guys are a little harsh :).

Well the Tank glitch should be easy to fix, gr engine doesn't pick up 2d collision very well on polygons that are off the verticle (ie at an angle like the rear of the tank). It just needs a 2d collision poly placed at the rear. (I'm assuming its a fixed map object). If its a vehicle it should have a box 2d collision around it, so maybe the crater allows you underneath the collision detection.

To me the flying trick looks like somethings been accidentaly tagged as a floor polygon somewhere or tagged as climbable.

A few bugs that should be easily fixed.

Has anyone tested to see if crater glitching has been improved, like maybe on the Bunkers map would be a good test.

I know for a fact that this is a major issue in Multiplayer games in GR1, If this has been improved in GR2 then a few bugs shouldn't be treated quite so harshly.

Anyone got any facts on this??

Edited by BornToKill_TAW

Those guys are a little harsh :).

You can say that again. Up until the last few seconds of that it was a good expose that the dev team could use to patch the problem(s).

I am assuming they have sent it to Ubi Soft, rather than just showing folks how to glitch?

Personally I think that the devs need to be notified then after that I really have no use for such an infantile attitude, or the video for that matter. I understand how it may be possible to accidentally discover a glitch, such as one related to collision detection, but many of these are found by individuals making a concerted effort to glitch. That places them on both the moral and maturity low ground and they are more than welcome to all of the expletives they uttered against the title itself. They deserve the disdain, not the devs that have produced what is by far the best game of this genre to date.

Personally I think that the devs need to be notified then after that I really have no use for such an infantile attitude, or the video for that matter. I understand how it may be possible to accidentally discover a glitch, such as one related to collision detection, but many of these are found by individuals making a concerted effort to glitch.

word. i find it strange that people still think finding a bug is like the most insane thing ever, like they can't believe there was a bad polygon in the level out of 50k polys or whatever. its almost impossible to catch every one like that even with a large testing team. what i'm curious about, is can you actually shoot through the invisible tank? is the guy at the top of the tree able to target and shoot ppl from up there? that could get annoying but it's not clear from the video if that's the case.

i'm not really sure what is happening in the 3rd glitch. they are spawn killing ppl and calling it a bug? or is it like they get an extra kill somehow while doing the spawn kill? i usually don't play respawn so i dunno

i find it strange that people still think finding a bug is like the most insane thing ever, like they can't believe there was a bad polygon in the level out of 50k polys or whatever. its almost impossible to catch every one like that even with a large testing team.

Maybe you find it strange but most of us won't.

This bug has been adressed hundreds (if not thousands) of times by the community as the number one most annoying bug that needed to be fixed in GR1 (by patching) or at least in GR2.

A bug like this is probably one of the easiest bugs to find, test and fix as they are very visual AND known. Adjusting the collision-walls slightly would have prevented the first two issues easily.

The third bug (shooting a guy second time while respawning) isn't very clever either. A good testing-team would at least have tried to test this.

I mean: if a bunch of kids can find it in a couple of days of playing, so could RSE over 2 years time (!).

There will always be some sort of bug in a piece of code, but also remember that they spend about 2 years on developing this game. The issue was known but nevertheless wasn't fixed.

They even hired a seperate out-house testing-team to find things like this, still no luck (good job, testers!).

If you're working on a game like this, with dozens of people, making full weekdays for 2-3 years straight....and still not being able to detect and fix a bug that was known for 4 years already, you're either retarded or ignorant. Period.

RSE screwed up big time!

This game was all about gameplay (tactics and teamplay), never about graphics.

Still RSE chose to vamp up the graphics (which is awesome) but at the same time change pretty much everything that made GR stand out in a lineup of the all Quakes-, Socoms-, Unreals- and CounterStrike-clones.

The stuff the community REALLY wanted to see changed, was either ignored or not fixed and the stuff they never wanted, was implied anyway, purely to make the game more arcady so younger players would buy it aswell.

The sad part is: many people already predicted all this, right after it was announced that GR2 would be released for the XBOX first.

Back then most critics were told off to keep their mouth shut since it would all be good in the end......"just wait and see"...and.."don't flame on RSE while it's still in development".

Well, GR2 is released for the XBOX now, and look at the results....

Edited by Pave Low

Has anyone tested crater glitching yet? has this been improved in GR2?

If so then at least one major issue has been dealt with.Delete as an experienced Max user and modder i thought u'd understand the complexity of large maps with over +50k polygons and the fact that over 20 maps have been created.This is going to result in a few missed glitches.Fault of the testers for not spotting them. but i'm sure they found many that were corrected.

3 glitches = development failure?? how so?

Collision detection algorithms are extremely complex. This remains true whether you choose to believe it or not. Collision detection algorithms are a balancing act between precision and performance. Want a base idea of what's involved?

http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/.NET/Game-Devel...sion-Detection/

Considering the complexity of the environments I do not believe that all such errors are 'easy' to find. This is understandable to anyone that has spent any amount of time with the game. Creating vast collision walls would damn the speed and the rendering capabilty of the graphics engine. Anyone so unconcerned about the graphics should not be concerned about that tank. But the fact is graphics matter. Period. They are as much a part of the presentation as accurate ballistics, ragdoll physics, etc. ad nauseum.

Of course all of the so called detractors - you know these guys that 'predicted' the Xbox situation - have so much programming experience and reputable games under their belt what they say must be the gospel. Personally it brings the old axiom to mind, "Anyone can kick a barn door down but it takes a craftsman to build one."

Anyone that feels tactics have been left out simply long for the days of robotic Team members whose bodies they can inhabit at will in a Matrix/Agent fashion and have likely not bothered to game the title in depth.

Unless you were integral to the development and testing of the Xbox version of GR2 then your comments are supposition. That makes them groundless and simply insulting. You need to go back and reread the tantrum you wrote and consider tempering it.

Edited by Pave Low

RSE screwed up big time!

This game was all about gameplay (tactics and teamplay), never about graphics.

Still RSE chose to vamp up the graphics (which is awesome) but at the same time change pretty much everything that made GR stand out in a lineup of the all Quakes-, Socoms-, Unreals- and CounterStrike-clones.

Im with you D. With GR the graphics were grainy, distorted sometimes..blurry..but the tactics were there, that pushed the graphics out the way and made the game so much fun. The running speed was fine, there was no need to change it.

@BTK-

3 glitches = development failure?? how so?

3 found(there may be more) glitches in 1 map...who's making these maps. These guys are suppose to be professionals. :wacko:

GR1 developed 5 years ago, less powerful PC's = not the best graphics by todays standards

GR2 developed 2 years ago onwards, more powerful PC's = much better graphics giving a better feel to the game.Great eye candy helps sell games.

GR1 great playablilty, that had glitches in it and yet we all love it to death. GR2 a few glitches found so now you hate it?

Ye these guys are professionals and those maps look awesome and from what i've heard (from the TAW guys with X-boxs) play great.

Computers are logical and unforgiving Humans make mistakes.I was not aware that we lived in a utopia where everything was perfect.So there is no room anymore for a few errors or compromises in the end product?

Yes 3 found, maybe more. a small testing team won't find them all, out of the thousands of players who play the game, some will find more. Once the dev's are sure no more are being found, the patches for those found will be released, as always.

Edited by BornToKill_TAW

Deleyt, as an experienced Max user and modder i thought u'd understand the complexity of large maps with over +50k polygons and the fact that over 20 maps have been created.This is going to result in a few missed glitches.Fault of the testers for not spotting them. but i'm sure they found many that were corrected.

3 glitches = development failure??  how so?

Sure, I understand the complexity. But with the amount of time and workforce that team has had, they should have at least been able to fix that particular problem, specially since it was already a big issue in GR1.

Considering the complexity of the environments I do not believe that all such errors are 'easy' to find. This is understandable to anyone that has spent any amount of time with the game. Creating vast collision walls would damn the speed and the rendering capabilty of the graphics engine.

If you are questioning my knowledge of the game then I suggest you do your research better.

My arguments are based on knowledge, not speculation. I know what I'm talking about.

FYI: collisionwalls don't have a huge influence on the engine. They are precalculated.

"Anyone can kick a barn door down but it takes a craftsman to build one."

FYI: I build it. Does that make me viable enough?

Unless you were integral to the development and testing of the Xbox version of GR2 then your comments are supposition. That makes them groundless and simply insulting.

Again, I base my comments on the knowledge I have and presented them with arguments aswell. There's nothing insulting about that.

Edited by Pave Low

OK folks, I know you can mange a reasonable and interesting debate on this subject without the need to stoop to insults.

Please take a deep breath and think before posting or dont post at all.

I do not expect myself or any moderator to have to come back in here again :thumbsup:

What i see in the clip is a couple of 2d collision errors, probably not curable without re-exporting the maps.There were a few of these in GR1 but not that many and can be accepted by most players.

As I see it the main issue of glitches in GR1 was 3D collision detection of bullets around the edges of craters,inclines etc (and i understand this is a complex subject) but have not seen any evidence that this is still an issue in GR2, so can only conclude this has been solved.

What i see in the clip is a couple of 2d collision errors, probably not curable without re-exporting the maps.There were a few of these in GR1 but not that many and can be accepted by most players.

A few? I know at least 12 instances of possibilities to glitch from an undetectable and untouchable spot in GR1 (not counting the crater glitches). I call that quite a lot.

If GR2 has them still and the the game is barely a month old, you can bet there are bound to be more. It's only a matter of time for people to find them.

It's not the issue that there are bugs BTK. It's the fact that this particular bug was known long before GR2 was even developed and that no action has been taken to prevent it by RSE.

To put it more clearly: they should have adjusted the code (while they were at it) to prevent this from happening at all.

It is expected from a sequel otherwise there's no progress.

Edited by |rsi|™deleyt

A bug like this is probably one of the easiest bugs to find, test and fix as they are very visual AND known. Adjusting the collision-walls slightly would have prevented the first two issues easily.

The third bug (shooting a guy second time while respawning) isn't very clever either. A good testing-team would at least have tried to test this.

I mean: if a bunch of kids can find it in a couple of days of playing, so could RSE over 2 years time (!).

I fully agree with Deleyt on this. If you know anything about map making for GR1 you'd understand how easily these type of glitches can be found and fixed.

*Edit I do think the guys in the clip are a little harsh though. But, as stated before, these are similar issues to those in GR1, you'd expect them to have fixed them by now. :nono:

Edited by sleeper

Go onto live and see how many complaints or instances of glitching you see. Zilch. This isn't SOCOM. Since i have been back I have spent 3-5 hours each night on Live. Not one glitch issue has surfaced thus far in countless MP rounds. As is often the news, the sensational comprises 2% of reality and 90% of the news.