Ghost Recon.net Forums

Ghost Recon End Of Life Game Support

I personally find the self-obsolescing aspect of RSE games very disappointing; each game has features and technology not brought forward into future games that are unique, still compelling and exciting in the context of the older games and it looks like Ghost Recon will get the same abandonware treatment.

Short of RSE/Ubi releasing some sort of Open Source RS/GR project like id Software does with all it's end of life products (which RSE/Ubi will never do IMHO) how about creating a 'Wish List' for an end of life update for Ghost Recon...

There are bugs, features that make the PC version of out of date with the Console iterations of the game, and some general game technology and features that would be nice to see on 'Old' Ghost Recon before Ubi/RSE totally ditch it for their new cash cow (if they haven't already)...

It's just a wish list, and will probably remain one indefinitely but still it would be cool to see what minimal features, updates or changes would keep you playing Ghost Recon 'Original Flavor' for the next decade...

Here's a few things I'd like to see that would keep GR fresh for me (Hell I'd even buy an update or expansion that offered them -- even if it cost as much or more than GR2!):

· Obvious Bug Fixes

· Cleaner More Modern HUD & Interface Like X-Box GR

· Punk Buster Support

· Expanded Mod Support

· Official Expansion Support & Integration Of SOAF

· Net-Graph To Display TCP/IP Quality

· Absolute Ping Display (Round-Trip & Server Latency)

There are others, but I'll hold of and chime in with more if the thread gets interesting...

One other option that would be cool would be if RSE were to port the entire legacy of Rogue Spear, R6, and Ghost Recon games to the RSE/GR2 engine just like Valve did with C-S Source... But don't get your hopes up... <_<

:unsure:

Edited by Hoak

first of all more realistic AI for teammates and enemies. it would be also cool to have a better command interface like OFP had, were you can give your guys more orders, like "throw grenade", "open door" etc.

better graphics & more realistic kit system. 3 items (primary, sidearm, grenades or other stuff) per soldier would be more realistic, don't you think so?

also some high-tech toys like thermal view would be nice

I don't know, I was thinking of either a minimal update i.e. something Ubi/RSE would do for free, based on assets they've developed for all the console versions of Ghost Recon One...

Or...

Something that could be released as a retail mission pack that tied up the Ghost Recon One PC legacy, fixed the warts and bugs -- left it looking pretty and less like it was the forgotten 'ugly step-child' of what now appears in Ubi's vision of a Console centric series...

For me Ghost Recon One is fine as is, and with just small feature additions, bug fixes, and minor cosmetic upgrades (eg. the wart-tastic HUD) -- I'd still be willing to buy Island Thunder style expansions at rate of one a year if they actually addressed some of the issues described in this thread...

:please: :'(

Edited by Hoak

GR 2 has a lot of hings that people want, like better kit selection, 4 kits, better graphics, glitch fixes, more realistic reloading and weapon switching, better main character animations.

What is missing from GR 2 is the openness of GR - open maps, open ended mission objective completion, freedom of movement. This is not the trend in game design, the trend is toward more structure, direction, simplification, ease of access. A lot of people didn't like the open ended nature of GR - what do I do first? More and more gamers are used to games that tell you exactly what to do or lead you by the nose around a course. They lack the patience to plan movement and engagements, it requires some of the attributes of an RTS gamer, they want to jump into the action and be surrounded by explosions and wow factor. That wasn't GR and I don't see the elements in GR in new games, so it's not just the fact that GR 2 isn't GR, nothing else is either.

GR 2 has a lot of hings that people want, like better kit selection, 4 kits, better graphics, glitch fixes, more realistic reloading and weapon switching, better main character animations.

I can well understand and appreciate that, but what others seem to want to are those features that define Ghost Recon and seperate it from other games not make it more like them.

What is missing from GR 2 is the openness of GR - open maps, open ended mission objective completion, freedom of movement.

That's an obvious sacrifice you make when adding render candy for a subjectively and superficially 'better looking game'... There's a bit of a misplaced assumption there however as the average PC 'in the consumer gaming channel' is not exactly state-of-the-art, and a lot of the render candy will get turned off reducing the perceived improvements for a lot of GR fans.

This is not the trend in game design, the trend is toward more structure, direction, simplification, ease of access.

I think there are certainly grounds for arguing that now that games are mass market this is in fact a 'trend in game design'... Regardless I would argue this direction is predicated in reducing a lot of sophistocation and depth in games -- and many (me among them) don't like it...

A lot of people didn't like the open ended nature of GR  - what do I do first?

Certainly arguable, a lot of people do like it... There were plenty of popular realism games that had media and marketing campaigns that were the match or better of Ghost Recon's -- and Ghost Recon outsold them all, and surpassed them in multi-player venue popularity as well

More and more gamers are used to games that tell you exactly what to do or lead you by the nose around a course. They lack the patience to plan movement and engagements, it requires some of the attributes of an RTS gamer, they want to jump into the action and be surrounded by explosions and wow factor.

Again a very arguable premise -- the demographic of gamers is getting older, and all game markets are contracting. I think there is just as much evidence that there is a strong audience for more sophisticated, mature, non-linear, and less twitch and action oriented gaming as well as simulator focused focused software that doesn't exactly meet the criterion of a 'game'...

That wasn't GR and I don't see the elements in GR in new games, so it's not just the fact that GR 2 isn't GR, nothing else is either.

Yes I've been getting a strong sense of this from go, from the focus of the marketing campaign, how Ubi has repositioned its assets -- there is a strong confluence of information, advertising and fact that strongly suggest that GR and GR2 are very different games and for many Fans the twain will never meet.

Does this mean you agree with me? That you would like and value some kind of 'End Of Life' treatment of the legacy Ghost Recon games? Or are you just ruminating on the differences and indifferent regarding the future of the kind of game offered in the the original flavor of Ghost Recon?

:unsure:

Edited by Hoak

If there was a GR mission pack, I would buy it whether anything was improved. If there were enhancements, so much the better. I would buy them as long as they made them. On the other hand, I think that mods like Operation Stabilise and Under The Blood Sun as mission packs and I have 8GB worth of them.

I won't give up the dream of a hybrid GR, the best of GR and GR 2, but integrating the game structure of GR until the PC game is released. A lot can happen in 6 months and a lot of things can change. My point about trends in game design is that no one is designing a game that has a GR game structure, if they did I would have pre ordered it. That being the case, it is hard to believe that Ubi and RSE would go back to the GR game design.

At that point, my best hope is that some tactical elements in squad control and mission design are incorporated into the PC release. It isn't a coincidence that the 3 games I have the most interest in - GR 2, BIA and CC FTF - all have the same basic design. The alternatives are non existent, given that I would rather have root canal than play OFP.

I also do not see Ubi investing any money or time in something similar to what Valve did, I think they have moved on and they are not looking back. If they even add some enhancements to the SP campaign, it would be much improved. It is a fun game, an action game, not a tactical game like GR, but, fun, nonetheless. And MP is basically the same as GR. For the hard core players, it won't have the same appeal and they probably will not be motivated to mod the game like they did for GR.

My feeling is that if you say nothing, you''ll get a port, if you keep posting, maybe you'll get a lot more than that. Time will tell.

Heu...And what about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? Talkin`bout open field, "go and do what you want" type of game, that one looks promissing...

Of course I can`t compare, as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is no squad based game, and has a "sci-fi" side to it...Mutants and all...(Well some say how much fiction is it?, but that`s another debate :whistle: )

I`m afraid we will never see something like GR again...GR was one of a kind, targeted to a restricted number of gamers. A lot of people I know did not like GR because it was "too tactical" for them...They like to run and gun, Quake like games...

Now back to the thread`s subject, I would enjoy more maps, desert based (yeah I know we have DS, but I can`t get enough of it!). I would also like minor changes/improvements, like ability to strafe while leaning, ability to step over 6 inches rocks:wall: (or addition of a climb button), integration of flashbangs (not like it`s not doable, SOAF has them...).

These are minor tweaks IMO and would make me put R6:RVS away for a while!

I could add more, but it would just ruin it. With these, it`s something we can get easilly I think :whistle:

Let`s ask :santa: see if we been good boys/gals lol

Cheers,

I don't know KRP 56, it's hard to predict what a company like Ubi will do; offering an update/expansion for Ghost Recon PC would be a very low cost proposition for them as they have a slew of assets from console games that could be rolled into an update for the PC venison from HUD and UI improvements to maps that weren't offered for the PC version...

It doesn't take a lot of head scratching to figure that it would be cheap to pay someone to compile all this preexisting work, stuff in in a box, give it a big WooWoo name, and get the standard asking price for it -- every GR expansion has sold well...

As for pinning any "hope" on GR2; consumers never get much of what they want by hoping, being patient, or polite -- loud kicking and screaming is usually the only thing that works and a lot of people have to do it to motivate a big business.

Depending on what's offered for the PC with the GR2 badge it will be interesting to see what the legacy Ghost Recon PC consumer reaction is -- but I rather suspect that regardless of what GR2 offers there are still enough young consumers that Ubi can market, hype and manage the equivalent of selling snow to Eskimos.

Soon enough we'll know...

:blink:

• 1 month later...

Well I hope in some future Ubi interview someone is perspicacious enough to ask an Ubi/RSE/Ubi/Ubi/Ubi 'Official' about any end of life plans for the GR1/RSE engine and the Rogue Spear iteration of the engine as well...

Would Ubi/RSE/Ubi/Ubi/Ubi consider for example:

· some manner of open source release of these engines ala id Software

· an future expansion and update

· release of internal RSE development tools for these engines

· making the games officially abandon/freeware at some point

I'd much rather see any/all of the first three then the last item, but that's just me...

:huh:

Edited by Hoak

I like the integration/support for SOAF into GR, though given the additions to the SOAF engine as far as squad commands go, might be a healthy patch, but would give more options to those who mod.

Anyone remember SOAFIE?

Yes there's actually been an SOAF server up and running for a couple weeks now, I seem to be the only person that joins and plays on it.

I aggree there are a lot of cool SOAF features that would be nice in GR, and perhaps a nice XBox like HUD UI integration to make it all work.

Of course if Ubi/RSE were to release even some source and tools Fans could do this themselves...

The point here is I'd still be willing to pay for any/all of these options as would a lot of folks I think.

What are "Choppers"? Would you be willing to pay for a game update that offered those things and maybe some others or a small expansion? If it pleased and sustained Mod Developer interest I know I would.