Ghost Recon.net Forums

South Korea bans Ghost Recon 2

Ubisoft's squad-based shooter will not be released in South Korea because the story goes "way too far".

Citing a plotline that goes "way too far", South Korea's Media Rating Board has rejected approval of Ubisoft's Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2, according to American military newspaper Stars and Stripes. This (obviously) forced the game's Korean publisher to abandon its plans for a localization of the squad-based shooter. :nono: Saw a news piece a while back and it showed South Korea as having a strong gaming interest. Sad news for them. :(

Sheeeet. guess where I live ;)

I checked out some stores recently. Not that i have an ex box. I just wanted to see if it was in. theres a free arcade with about 20 x boxes and ps2's playing all the new games for free. Thought when it comes out i could torture myself with the awful controller till the pc version comes out.

It's funny them being sensetive like that. But it only goes one way. For example on tv there is supposedly funny ad for a newspaper and it shows an animated plane with osama in it trying to hit the wtc and their newspaper flying over the window screen and makijng them swerve and miss.

Real sensitive types eh.

I guess now NK has nukes the south has to go the extra mile to keep things calm. I shouldn't complain, after all i live in the center of seoul.

When the pc version comes out i'll be sneaking in a copy.

Its politics and we cant do anything about it. I feel sorry for gamers living in South Korea, they wont be able to play a well done game. But because of the situation now which there is a very high potential of conflict, its better to be safe than sorry. Most conflicts came from I wont risk my life fighting a conflict that was caused by my favorite computer game hehehe :rofl:

With this...who says that politics doesn't dictate what we do? the story for GR2 too sensitive? then it might destroy the political sensitivity of the NK/SK situation. PUHLeeeez , we are technically still at war with the north Koreans, so what's the deal? they screw up at politics everyday with Nukes. Why Ban a PC game? ban the norths nukes.

Moderator Edit: Please don't venture into politics

Edited by Stalker

Its all because of the broadcasted media and political correctness there... Any of you folks remember Falcon 4.0? It was blocked from release too. (don't know what happened later)

I don't expect anything else from that Media Rating Board BS. It happened with a lot of other non-political games too..

I know first hand because I lived there for 17 years before I migrated to United States.

Edited by MaverickAR15

It's the best game in town.

I would have never thought that S. Korea would do something as ignorant as this. The only reason their country isn't starving to death (like the North) is because of soldiers like the ones portrayed in GR2. I love how ungrateful people can be.

Sleeper, not that it's relevant but i'm neither military or a korean national. I'm a brit journalist living Seoul. I review games for an English language national daily newspaper here. Korea Times.

I guess i won't be reviewing Ghost recon 2

I was just curious is all. I was stationed in Seoul when I was in the military. Seoul has to be one of my favorite places that I've ever lived. I'm sure you can just purchase the game outside of Korea anyways.

Sleeper, not that it's relevant but i'm neither military or a korean national. I'm a brit journalist living Seoul. I review games for an English language national daily newspaper here. Korea Times.

I guess i won't be reviewing Ghost recon 2

I'm sure you know SOMEONE stationed there at Yongsan Garrison, or elsewhere on the peninsula, in the Army. If not, come up to Chuncheon some time. I assure you that once this game is out I WILL have a copy of it.

While the South Korean government might not approve of the game, I'm sure the Army and Air Force Exchange Service will have it. After all, I had Castle Wolfenstein 3D in Germany, and those dudes over there will throw an average Joe in JAIL for possessing it I'm told.

Oh, yeah. I'm new here. HI!