Xbox GR2: My impressions and possible game glitch?

I just bought GR2 just the other day because I was a fan of the first two (GR1 and GR1 Island Thunder). Anyways, my initial problem is the game would freeze at a certain point in the menu after I would fail a mission. I also noticed that in one of the maps (I forget the name but it was a single mission map), the bombed out city when it's raining, you don't hear the raining. You hear your footsteps, gun shots but no environmental sound. I got the game exchanged and the crashing stopped but the same map still have no sound while all the other maps are fine. I'll note I've never had a problem with my Xbox EVER. Anyone hear about this at all?? I'm going to play around with settings and see if it's my sound system. Plus I'll try it on a friend's xbox as well.

My thoughts:

-the bodies disappear: very bad!!!

-no blood: no big deal

-silly character one-liners: stupid

-graphics: simply amazing

-gameplay: so far I like it better in first person

-always carrying that rocket launcher: annoying and not realistic. Special forces soldiers DO NOT carry heavy weaponry on recon missions. You can select 'no explosives' for equipment setup but you lose your grenades as well.

-apparently you can't always have a squad during single player firefights: bad. It would be wayyyyyy better to have the ability to select how many people go with you.

-not being able to switch characters during the game: great! When you die, that's it. Game over.

So far that's all I have. I've been busy working. Overall it's a huge change to the original GR series...it's hard to get used to. I was used to a serious army shooter. GR2 is walking a little too close to that line that seperates 'arcade' and 'simulation'.

My thoughts:

-the bodies disappear: very bad!!!

That confused me as well. I assume it's due to the Xbox's memory limitations, but it certainly was odd. As a primarily PC gamer who keeps dead bodies turned off, I wasn't put off by this, but it did seem a little odd.

-no blood: no big deal

This is somewhat trivial to me, but I think I would prefer a bit more visual clues on hits.

-silly character one-liners: stupid

They are a bit tiresome, yes. They also are clearly an addition based on R6:3 for Xbox, design wise.

-graphics: simply amazing

Agreed. It's not visually as stunning as Far Cry or Doom3, but those are PC titles designed for high end hardware. On a closed system like an Xbox, RSE did fantastic work in making the game pretty. I just wish my TV didn't suck as much as it does.

-gameplay: so far I like it better in first person

I'm a bit 50/50 for SP, anyway. Sometimes it's just easier to navigate in OTS, although I do default to FP view as it does feel a bit better.

-always carrying that rocket launcher: annoying and not realistic. Special forces soldiers DO NOT carry heavy weaponry on recon missions. You can select 'no explosives' for equipment setup but you lose your grenades as well.

It may not be realistic, but considering the nature of the missions, and the lack of character switching, it's a design element that was mandated.

-not being able to switch characters during the game: great! When you die, that's it. Game over. 

Frustrating from a PC gamer's point, but not overly so. I've never used the save option in GR for PC. I've used the save option for GR2Xbox an easy dozen times each mission so far.

My one and only real complaint is that the missions aren't as much missions as just team firefights with waypoints. There is very little to actually do other than "go here, shoot that" ad nauseum. I realize GR1 wasn't exactly a heavily plot driven game either, but the missions had what felt like clear purpose. I don't want to make it sound like the missions have no direction, as that's not true. They are well directed, and do flow, but they all seem to be "go here, shoot everyone, then go somewhere else and shoot everyone". Mind you, I'm not very far in, maybe halfway through the SP game.

I am enjoying it though. I'm useless with FPS games on an Xbox, but that's ok. Most who I have played with over the years with GR1PC know I'm useless with a mouse too. ;)

So you don't think America's most elite soldiers in the world could take out 96 enemies that are obviously sloppier, and less well-trained than their counterparts? Especially considering the times when you hit wave after wave you're usually in an area that provides cover. It's not hard to wipe out enemies when you have cover and they're out in the open.

Bodies disappearing,no blood,stupid one liners,no soldier switching,skirting the edge of arcade gameplay. :angry: Some of the negative parts of GR2 I'd wish RSE would ditch for the PC version. Wishful thinking I'm sure. :(

This isnt a direct port from XBOX. They are obviously changing things up for PC. Have some faith.

<_< After my initial play I was left wondering why so many changes had been made to the first and [Ghost Recon] (for Xbox). I had read many previews saying that there would be major differences, but in my opinion GR2 looks like a new game altogether.

Changes for the better include superior graphics, liquid gameplay, and better AI. The maps for the most part are amazing, and the battle sound effects make your experience that much more real.

The biggest problem I have with GR2 is its lack of realism. Some people have mentioned arcade-like and I totally agree, and not having the possibility to plan your attack or reconnaisance before hand with way points reflects this lack of realism. Can you imagine leading a squad of men into enemy territory with a blank map and no strategy? In single player mode being able to send a separate section in a different direction is sometimes critical to a mission's success.

As Chris Robin pointed out, special forces rarely carry platoon weapons on recons or raids, weapons such as RPG's or heavy machine guns. That is usually left to mechanized infantry battalions.

Also, I must agree that there are alot of cheesey one-liners, making it even more Hollywood and making the game less true to itself. This includes uniforms, or lack of in Salvatore's case. What's up with that? No army in the world would send special units in secret ops wearing helmets or wearing just a tshirt. But I guess the makers of the game wanted to give the characters more personality, which I'm not totally against, but it seems to me it could of been done in a more realistic way.

I know it's only a game, but I'm a die-hard fan of Ghost Recon, and I'm sure there are plenty others like me. I'll be playing GR2 again for sure, it's fun to play, but I feel its been 'dumbed' down. :wall:

huh oh.. RSE needs to listen to the hardcore PC players this time to make the PC version. You dont need to listen to xbox players now since they have there version of GR2. Maybe ask some questions on here. I sure will be playing with volume on low if i keep hear this bad news about the stupid one liners. And i totally agree about the oufits. Someone thats support, to lend support fire should be wearing some sort of vest..not walking out there in a tanktop and army pants.

This includes uniforms, or lack of in Salvatore's case. What's up with that? No army in the world would send special units in secret ops wearing helmets or wearing just a tshirt. But I guess the makers of the game wanted to give the characters more personality, which I'm not totally against, but it seems to me it could of been done in a more realistic way.

Yeah! You should email these guys and let them know to put a hat & shirt on. Stupid SF!

Afghan2.jpg

z_sfa05.jpg

c_sfa24.jpg

c_sfa10.jpg

c_sfa06.jpg

c_sfa08.jpg

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/alb...20908_00152.jpg

SF_Cowboy2.jpg

Changed a pic to a link. Was waaaay to big for the forums.

(in reference to the last picture in 'A guys' post)

"November 2004: ZZ top tour Afghanistan!" :P

I'm in Australia, so i'm waiting until the Weekend for my copy of GR2.

From what i'm hearing, they have reduced to realism a bit ('bit' is not a specific quantity, let's just say it is not as 'hardcore' as GR1). This is not in itself a bad thing for me. If the game plays anything like Conflict Desert storm 1 or 2 (The latest vietnam one was ######, and deserves a place in bargain bins everywhere) i'll be happy. Split screen co-op especially.

I have played GR on all three platforms (most extensively on PC). And I must admit that I found the Console versions mediocre compared to their higher res, more intuitive and more tactically versitile cousin on PC (except for the in game 'go here' option that could be done by looking at where you wanted team 2).

My honest opinion is that, with the lower resolutions and system limitations of the current consoles (and the TV's they generally run on). Console versions of games have to be designed differently to their PC bretheren. I like tactical shooters, I also like action. if GR2 for the Xbox combines these two, all the better.

Finally, I do believe RSE will be facing a vote of no confidence amongst PC gamers if it decides to 'go arcadey' for the PC version. I still have faith that they will provide a more 'tactical' offering .

(in reference to the last picture in 'A guys' post)

Nice pics (I'm assuming they're pentagon-hired mercs from the way they look).

As far as that glitch goes, can someone with the xbox copy of GR2 try a 'single mission', 'recon' in the second map I think. It's the one where the city is burned and bombed and it's raining and you're only allowed to carry a silenced pistol. This is where I need to know if you hear the evironment or not.

For the game overall, I might keep on trying to play it. Another thing I'm wondering about is during single mission, are you able to bring a squad on ALL firefights? Or are you by yourself most of the time?

GR2 is walking a little too close to that line that seperates 'arcade' and 'simulation'.

These two statements seem to contradicte each other. You want more realism but you want to be able to switch to another character after you die? :rolleyes: Following everyone else's "I know everything about special forces quotes" In SF if you die you can not switch into someone else's body! :rofl: Or do you mean Great! in a good way. :P

Just remember that RSE interviewed, watched, read up, and spent time with Special Forces for GR and GR 2 so they probably know more about them then most of us. :thumbsup:

There is a save feature for GR2? :huh:

I personally love the game, of course any game has bugs or areas for improvement. Just go online and try the battle mission on HARD with a few of your friends. You will get at least 96 kills or you die. The US and NK arty attacks are gnarly in that mission.

Edited by ScarfaceSAS

After those one liners in Raven Shield,I'm getting outta here-What was that,Police-etc.,that appeal to pre-teens you think GR2 wouldn't even have considered any corn ball one liners. :angry: The more I here the less I like and it sounds like many changes for the PC version will be needed to get my money. Hope for a worthy successor to GR is borderline at best. :(

Um... I think I found 2 bugs. When picking up ammo at an ammo crate the magazine in the weapon gets changed without a magazine change animation. Plus, when you pick up a weapon it always is full with the same amount of ammo. But hey, its on a console so they can't fix it. Whatever.

Edited by Snake@War

After those one liners in Raven Shield,I'm getting outta here-What was that,Police-etc.,that appeal to pre-teens you think GR2 wouldn't even have considered any corn ball one liners. :angry: The more I here the less I like and it sounds like many changes for the PC version will be needed to get my money. Hope for a worthy successor to GR is borderline at best. :(

Just goto an EB games and play it for yourself. You guys are just being silly and trying to find anything to ###### about. Don't you remember, "Its cold, cold, too cold for me" from GR and that didn't make it a bad game. :wall:

I'm starting to find this thread really disconcerting. I sincerely hope RSE is going to improve some of the arcadey features for the PC version rather than just graphics improvements.

i dunno, it seems like most of the folks who think it is really arcadey are PC people who haven't played it yet.

the missions tend to be a bit more linear but it's really a lot closer to the original than some of the posters on here would have you believe. i realize that's a matter of opinion of course, just understand that not everyone thinks it got 'arcadey' all of a sudden. the rambo kids still always die fast in all the missions i've seen.....

I'm a 'PC person', and I have it rented right now. I like all types of games, but GR2 is still a little too arcadish.

This game is something very new and different from everything else.

online play is not arcadish for sure. PPL have different styles of play. I play with no respawns. Feels just like old gr. (but polished).

SP is just totally different.

I will finish sp and wont go back for more. If you have xbox live buy it. If not, rent it.

SP and online play are two types of games.

Edited by soulfly3