Operation Take Back download

eternal

Here is a campaign in progress I finished a while back. I call it that because there are multiple missions, I am just waiting on the others to be finished by some friends. I have my doubts they will ever get them done, so I am releasing what I have, so I can move on. When/if the other missions in the story line are released it will be a very small download since all the necessary files are in this one.

This mission was made with some very serious players in mind. It will be extremely difficult in single player, but not impossible. I intended it for the hardcore GR guys you would find playing coop at The Gamer Planet or Tactical Gamer.

Operation Take Back Fileplanet Download

Please leave me some feedback, the mission got little, to no playtesting.

Thank you.

p.s. Rocky I pm'ed you a few times regarding this release but never got a response. I feel shunned. ;)

Edited by eternal

Here is a preview of what I am working on next.

ScreenShot5.jpg

I have been wanting a good zombie style mod forever. Ever since the Resident Evil mod got scrapped, I've been blue balled.

Nothing would be more fun than to be playing an HX4 Defend type mission dug in some house at night in a creepy atmosphere with a buddy try to survive a massive onslaught of zombies. (Talk about a run-on!)

Bring 'em on! :o=

Here is a preview of what I am working on next.

ScreenShot5.jpg

I have been wanting a good zombie style mod forever. Ever since the Resident Evil mod got scrapped, I've been blue balled.

Nothing would be more fun than to be playing an HX4 Defend type mission dug in some house at night in a creepy atmosphere with a buddy try to survive a massive onslaught of zombies. (Talk about a run-on!)

Bring 'em on! :o=

The mod is nothing but ambiance. I want it to be all about the feel not the shooting. With luck I wont have to sacrifice to many of my ideas for lack of the engines capabilities. In the meantime download my Operation Tack Back mission and prepare to be amazed!!!

It was pretty engaging.

Bugs: The 2 guys on patrol east of the caves, are on full sprint. Just something to think about.

Suggestions:

-More sound cues. When shots are fired into the camp, kick in some of that good ole rock.

-Make enemy positions more realistic instead of just thrown around.

If this is your first time, you've got a lot of talent. Keep 'em coming! :o=

Also, even after uninstalling the mod, the modified cursor remains.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will definately look into each one. I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to leave feedback.

If you deactivate the mod, then restart GR there should be no reason the cursor remains. I am not sure why you would have that problem, or why you would want to uninstall the mod. :)

Played this a few times......

Its like its own little world of a mission, me likey.

A few things i dislike are........ the command map tangos are overridden, even if i would like it to use the Alpha Squad MOD with higher priority.

If i use this mod on other missions where players need the information of friendly units on the map, it would be impossible to locate them cause they wont show up.

Dont get me wrong, i actually like the people arent yelling out vague information about "CHECK MAP". Your idea does help players try to give out more accurate information. I just dont know if his option should be forced onto players.

Some people complaiined of the downloading being to big for 1 mission, but i told them its worth it.

Other than that i think the mission is great, and would love to see the other authors finish their missions as well, so this mod gets more play.

Edited by Vir2L

Played this a few times......

Its like its own little world of a mission, me likey.

A few things i dislike are........ the command map tangos are overridden, even if i would like it to use the Alpha Squad MOD with higher priority.

If i use this mod on other missions where players need the information of friendly units on the map, it would be impossible to locate them cause they wont show up.

Dont get me wrong, i actually like the people arent yelling out vague information about "CHECK MAP".  Your idea does help players try to give out more accurate information.  I just dont know if his option should be forced onto players.

Some people complaiined of the downloading being to big for 1 mission, but i told them its worth it.

Other than that i think the mission is great, and would love to see the other authors finish their missions as well, so this mod gets more play.

Thanks, you make some good points.

The issue that makes the tangoes invisible is easily solved. Go here (with default GR install) C:\Program Files\Red Storm Entertainment\Ghost Recon\Mods\Operation Take Back\Shell\Art and delete the cmi.rsb, this will allow the original GR file to load and show enemies on map. I should probably include that in the readme but I never liked how easy it was for players with tangoes popping up. Unfortunately the way the game is made you can't distinguish between friend or foe, as it's the same graphic. As far as locating, or sharing tango, friendly locations, don't forget I used a grid overlay on the command map, to make up for the lack of the enemy locater. This helps to enforce teamplay, imho, rather than just everyone running around looking at the map for red blips.

I do apologize about the size, vs. the content. There was supposed to be a 3 mission campaign, but it appears the others bailed on me. If feedback and the need is great enough, I will make the others myself. As you can tell if you play the mission, I put ALOT of work into it expecting a full campaign. The size was necessary to get the feel I wanted. It's mostly sound files.

The next mission I am doing is going to be huge because of the ambiance I am trying to produce, using mostly sound, but again should be worth it. In this day and age I don't really see a 30 meg download as being too big for a mission.

The feedback so far has been great. Seeing as it's my first mission I am learning just as much from your opinions/feedback as I am from making the mod.

Thanks, you make some good points.

The issue that makes the tangoes invisible is easily solved. Go here (with default GR install) C:\Program Files\Red Storm Entertainment\Ghost Recon\Mods\Operation Take Back\Shell\Art and delete the cmi.rsb, this will allow the original GR file to load and show enemies on map. I should probably include that in the readme but I never liked how easy it was for players with tangoes popping up. Unfortunately the way the game is made you can't distinguish between friend or foe, as it's the same graphic. As far as locating, or sharing tango, friendly locations, don't forget I used a grid overlay on the command map, to make up for the lack of the enemy locater. This helps to enforce teamplay, imho, rather than just everyone running around looking at the map for red blips.

I do apologize about the size, vs. the content. There was supposed to be a 3 mission campaign, but it appears the others bailed on me. If feedback and the need is great enough, I will make the others myself. As you can tell if you play the mission, I put ALOT of work into it expecting a full campaign. The size was necessary to get the feel I wanted. It's mostly sound files.

The next mission I am doing is going to be huge because of the ambiance I am trying to produce, using mostly sound, but again should be worth it. In this day and age I don't really see a 30 meg download as being too big for a mission.

The feedback so far has been great. Seeing as it's my first mission I am learning just as much from your opinions/feedback as I am from making the mod.

Thanks for the tip on the .rsb removal, thast helpful. Like i said i cant stnd players yelling CHECK MAP, or TANGOS ON MAP, but there are some missions that seeing where the friendlies are is vital, becasue of random elements in-mission. But i do like how it makes players use teamwork. :thumbsup:

I have been using grid overlays for quite some time, i think they are a necesity for tactical gameplay.

I don't mind the size, i have 3meg connection, but a few people I know are still on 56k, and a few others are so spoiled with serverside missions that they are stuck on that mantality, big mods are pointless. (i dunno *shrug*) I'm with you on the whole emersion factor, sound is my thing. :thumbsup:

BTW - for any mac gamers out there that would like to play it, i have converted it (sound conversion) and uploaded it to a server /missions/OpTakeBack.sit]HERE, or you can find it at MacGamingMods.com in the Ghost Recon section.

Edited by Vir2L

BTW - for any mac gamers out there that would like to play it, i have converted it (sound conversion) and uploaded it to a server /missions/OpTakeBack.sit]HERE, or you can find it at MacGamingMods.com in the Ghost Recon section.

Thanks for the Mac conversion. I would have done it myself, but to be honest, had no idea how, or what was involved.

All this mod needs now, is some front page pimpage on gr.net! :)

I have just plain GR1 with no patches or updates or whatever, because when I tried downloading patches last year, it screwed my computer up, and since then I lost internet on that computer. Does this mission require any of that stuff? It seems like most mods do, but I do have that one (I forget what it's called) that uses only maps included with game except for one which is set in daytime but came as night.

I have just plain GR1 with no patches or updates or whatever, because when I tried downloading patches last year, it screwed my computer up, and since then I lost internet on that computer. Does this mission require any of that stuff? It seems like most mods do, but I do have that one (I forget what it's called) that uses only maps included with game except for one which is set in daytime but came as night.

I used elements from all the expansions so they are reqiured.

Sorry. Now that I think back I could have done it with just the GR stuff and a little editing. Hindsight, as they say, is always 20/20.

Thanks for the conversion. I've actually installed Virtual PC on my machine to grab mods packaged as .exe files.

Hey when i play there is an extreme amount of lag like every shot takes a long time. does anybody else havet hat problem??? great mission though!!

This is the first time I have heard of anyone having this problem. I know there are alot of enemies in certain parts of the mission, obviously the first question would be system specs. The lowest lvl pc I have tested the mission on was a 1.2 athlon, 512 megs sdram and a gf3, with little to no problems. I went to great lengths to make sure there was never too many enemies at once, but I really pushed it at the end.

Thanks for the compliment, I worked hard on it.

Edited by eternal