"TRAINRIDE"

deleyt

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the effectnumber for the dustrail behind a vehicle/tank?

Thanks.

I've tagged several vehicles and have never had to add that helper point.

Problem is, I have static geometry. But it needs the dusttrail coming from a tank/car.

Ofcourse, I could create a dummy (invisible) vehicle to trigger the dust but it would be great if wouldn't have to do that.

Thanks for everyone's answers. :thumbsup:

I think that dust trail effect is acctually generated by the ^contact point helpers that is placed on vehicles.

I managed to use it on a chopper/tank to create exhaust smoke effect.I'm not sure if it could be added to a map tho as a helper point.You may be better using the dummy vehicle idea.

I have a Smoke particle system in 3ds format on my harddisk somewhere if you wanna try adding that and seeing if GR will support it.

Edited by BornToKill

I'd say the dust trail following vehicles are hardcoded to vehicle type used, as wheeled vehiles really don't have a ^contactpoint in their tagging (only tracked vehicles do). Besides if you were to put a dummy vehicle into the map and keep it static the dust created would rise straight up.

Might be a tricky problem to solve as I seriously doubt GR handles particle systems of any shape...although we have proved the levelbuilder pdf to be wrong on other occations.

Thanks.

Rethinking the idea, I think it can be solved but I might have another problem I haven't thought of:

Particle-effects take up quite a chunk of render-power and having this many wheels in one view with each assigned a particle-effect, it might clog up the renderengine and drop framerates to an unacceptable level making it impossible to play.

So I think I'll have to abort the idea altogether.

Thanks for your help nevertheless.

EDIT:

Before I forget, progress is going good.

The entire transport-train is pretty much finished, tagged and leveled and it's working in-game.

I've been adding three passenger-trains alongside it, but when I tried lighting the map, it crashed. :angry:

So, back to the drawingboard and finding that needle in the haystack to fix the issue. :shifty:

Edited by deleyt

I've been adding new soundsamples to the mod.

The train now has sound :ph34r:

It's really cool to go from one wagon to the next, while the rattling of the trains are overpowering your footsteps :rocky:

Rather then posting a screenshot, here's a video (35MB) this time of a little test I was running today.

As you can see, progress has been quite good last few days and things are starting to fall into place.

The sound adds a lot to the overall ambiance.

I guess people will now also understand what I meant with traversing from one train to the other, as it's being showed in this movie.

trainride_moviepic.jpg

Have fun watching :rocky:

BTW: Thanks to Zeko for showing me how to reduce the videosize (proper Codec).

Edited by deleyt

:drool:

Holy #"!$#"!$" Dee!!! A lot of stuff u added since i last saw it! Excellent work m8! This is best idea i saw for a map! I really like the sounds u added.

This deserves some front page news! :thumbsup:

Hats off Dee! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Awesome D, the sounds make it so much more realstic.

How come only 1 or 2 of the windows are viewable? I do remember you saying but I dont remember why.

It almost has a XIII look about it for some reason, something about the big thick black lines for the doors. The only C+C I could give for that, is to try and add some more windows, and maybe work a little more on the passanger train texture. But personally I wouldnt, I think its excellent how it is.

Thanks guys.

@Chems: If I add too many breakable glasspanes, the game will lag big time (remember that Downtown map?)

I could make them non-dynamic ofcourse and I might just try that, but that means the glass can not be shot through.

The black lines around the door are like the original ones:

IRM%201.jpg

Actually I think its all the alpha channels and portals that cause the lag on that map. The windows themselves don't really cause the problem is what I'm trying to say.

You might test it with the non-breakable windows and see how the alpha channels affect the performance. As long as it is one room then there would be no need for portals and you could in effect make the glass breakable.

The reason for my theory is that I've seen other maps made in the past that relied on a lot of alpha channelled textures in close proximity take more cpu/RAM to render. Also the same goes for too many portals in close proximity.

By the way the video and the map looks great. Definitely the most original use of dynamic objects and scrolling textures in a map to date.

Excellent job!

Glad you all like it so far :D

@OSO: that might be true. Nevertheless, dynamic glass still uses an alphachannel, so pound for pound there isn't a huge difference, I think.

I've thought about the idea but rather being a technicallity, it might also just break down gameplay: I don't think it would be very fair if the player on the passengertrain would be in full view, all of the time.

So I'll have to do some serious playtesting once the map is done 99% and decide there whether to have all windows see-through, or just some of them.

Thanks for all the feedback (that goes for all) :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

@Chems: If I add too many breakable glasspanes, the game will lag big time (remember that Downtown map?)

I could make them non-dynamic ofcourse and I might just try that, but that means the glass can not be shot through.

The black lines around the door are like the original ones:

IRM%201.jpg

Yeah make them non dynamic, some train perspects might stop a bullet I dunno? Its worth it IMHO.

The black lines, yeah I just cant put my finger on what you need to do. Will think on it.