"TRAINRIDE"

deleyt

Saaaweeeet! :thumbsup:

I love the helicopter-insert and flyby...looking good tinker!

The forest seems to work quite well for this. I might have to add some more layers of trees and expand the groundplane a bit to reach the horizon properly at that altitude.

Keep up the good work! :yes:

BTW: can you send me that flyby and insert? Would love to see it HI-RES :)

Edited by deleyt

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deleyt

I have a Trainride_beta05 rar file I downloaded in 6/05. From where I don't know. Can't open it with out a password, however. If you don't want me to have it just say so and it'll be deleted. If you don't care, maybe pass along the password so I can give it a try. You can PM me with the password if you want.

Either way, looking forward to the release of this mod. Looks like it will be a keeper.

You can toss it away Tools.

It was a very, very beta version. It would be a shame if that version would make it onto people's computers as it doesn't do justice to the final product, as you can see from the two last videos.

The final release will have so much more and will be much more stable.

Edited by deleyt

Saaaweeeet! :thumbsup:

I love the helicopter-insert and flyby...looking good tinker!

The forest seems to work quite well for this. I might have to add some more layers of trees and expand the groundplane a bit to reach the horizon properly at that altitude.

Keep up the good work! :yes:

BTW: can you send me that flyby and insert? Would love to see it HI-RES :)

Sent, let me know if your ajusting the map again!

:P

Tinker

How`s this sounding for a quick single player mission?

Greetings!

Your mission is as follows:

Enter the Train and loacate Nigel Tunney for the D-Activation Code for the Bomb.

Locate the Bomb and Disarm it!

The enemy are all on comms and under Full instructions to shoot on sight.

However, once you have alerted 1, you have alerted them all. The Bomb will

be set to Detinate in 10 Minutes regardless, and only you will be able to

disarm it. You will have to find a way to get as close as possible, and be

prepared to strike with everything you have once ready. After you have disarmed

the Bomb, get back in there and clear them carraiges out.

We are quiet aware of your past sloppyness, any civilian casualties caused

by you will result in an immediate mission fail and we will destruct the Bomb

from above ourselves while we are away from any inhabited areas!

Good Luck.

Tinker

:hmm:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Dave, but we're trying to patch things up and make it run, rather than adding new material.

We seem to have some annoying CTD's at random, so I need to go over the sherman-layout again and see what the problem is...boring stuff that is.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah.

Fixing the portals will probably mean I need to rearrange the shermanlevels.

The problem lies at the ladders. They use a shermantransition, but because the transitions are so close to one 'n other, the transition (which is in theory just a portal) is missed.

Rearranging the shermanlevels will mean that each mission needs to be setup from scratch again.

I will probably look at it next week and see if I can get it to run properly.

Yeah.

Fixing the portals will probably mean I need to rearrange the shermanlevels.

The problem lies at the ladders. They use a shermantransition, but because the transitions are so close to one 'n other, the transition (which is in theory just a portal) is missed.

Rearranging the shermanlevels will mean that each mission needs to be setup from scratch again.

I will probably look at it next week and see if I can get it to run properly.

:thumbsup:

Sounds like a plan, more than happy to remake my ideas.

Good Luck

Tinker

• 3 months later...

I've got some :D-news and :(-news....

Starting with the :(-news:

Trainride will not be finished.

First reason is that Max 5 and GR won't run on Vista 64-bit (my operating system). I've tried multiple installations and configurations (even trying to run it in XP-compatible mode). But allas.

Second reason is that I have too little spare time either due to work or other commitments.

BUT.....

The :D-news is:

I'll be releasing Trainride as it is right now. Meaning Preversion 0.85.

Mostly everything is working properly but there is a slight chance that a portal is missed and rooms may vanish.

It's a known error I've been working on but never got around fixing it.

This mod should be complete enough to run it for GR, including a splash-screen.

It holds 2 scenes, one at daytime in the forest and one at nighttime in the city. The city has the most detail and looks best in my opinion.

Trainride never was about being big or on a grand scale.

It was all about being innovative, using the full potential of the engine and with some ingenuity, even trying to push the limits beyond it's capabilities.

I feel I've succeeded in this.

So what's going on in this little mod?

Ever caught yourself sitting on a train next along another one, where the train next to you is pulling out, making you believe you are moving instead of the train you are watching?

Well, this is the same principle really.

The principle is based on tricking the mind to believe that you are moving through a scene by actually moving the entire scene around you :rocky:

GR's engine never was designed to do this, but it does hold some nice features that (if used correctly) make it possible to create such a moving scene.

A combination of scrolling textures and dynamic objects, set up in a particular way, will work together to make the entire scene move around you.

The difficult part is to synchronise both techniques to make them become one, but with clever levelplanning and a lot of testing and patience, it is possible.

Download the mod and you can see the result.

Tinker was kind enough to do some test missions for it, but due to the fact that I never fixed the errors, he wasn't able to finish them. So, although the missions work, they should only be concidered as test-missions. I want to thank Tinker for his invested time. :thumbsup:

MIND YOU: THIS MOD IS NOT BUG-FREE! ACCEPT IT AS IS AND DO NOT ASK ME TO FIX THIS OR THAT. IT WON'T HAPPEN.

still.....ENJOY! :D

DOWNLOAD TRAINRIDE PRE-VERSION 0.85

Very cool Deleyt, thanks for releasing it as-is, good call. It's still amazing to see what modders can push the original GR engine to do, very impressive.

For folks that install this, you'll find 5 missions in the Quick Mission menu. I think only the two labelled "city" have tango's in them, the rest look like Tinker's testing scripts and have no enemy in them ...(Tinker?).

The last one listed (train ride-tinker-01.mis) crashed for me (CTD) after the loading screen.

:o

Those missions were never meant for other use. I had many issues in there, and regularly CTD myself. They are all half finished tests only.

I will try fix my day and night version for you, but i cannot say if it will run fine or not.

Tinker

I`ve checked my files and only the day-version mission for SP, is working correctly. The City missions CTD, however they should have the zones needed for a firefight.

It is a fabulous mod, but i can`t really put much time into it, with the fixes that were not complete.

Tinker

NOTES:

The Forest Map, I had very little problems apart from a few wacky portals, but if you find 1, just step back and see were your heading, then walk straight through the emptyness, all comes back once through.

The City Map, there are roads to the sides and above, you can easily script vehicles to pass by. But if you kill a truck or tank, make a good blanket effect of fire, then teleport them off the map instantly. Make enemy in the vehicles invincible, so you need to hide while it passes, or else you shoot 1 and they unload, not good.

I did manage to have an AI follow me the whole lengh a few time, but otherwise, keeps enemy inside there respective areas, trucks, carraiges. They have a bad headache when they hit a bad portal. I had 1 spinning on his back once, cool!

Good Luck

Train-Ride Forest Mission

Issue: Enemy kill hostage early and leaves you with 1 minute to extract. :blink:

Fixed. That is unless you kill a hostage, or a bad nade maybe.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/ti...forest-good.mis

right click and save as.

Best for SP, but is setup for MP with no Heli Insert.

Remember the issues though. However this mission has never CTD on me so far.

Tinker

:) Hope it is fine