Deer season is upon us...

RooK

He tours with his bow and arrow and uses them on stage. I saw him put a flaming arrow into a stand up of Saddam Hussein back in 91 (he was playing with Damn Yankees back then with Tommy Shaw from Styx and Rueben Blades) after the troops came home from Desert Storm. Last time (about 4 years ago) I saw him he did the same thing.

We have hunting here in Aus, but its a much less formal affair unless your some kind of die-hard gun crazy man.

Main targets are Rabbits (usually used for dog meat), Kangaroos, which can be sold as either commercial dog meat, or to butchers for people food. Wild pigs, cos they are vermin, and apparently are fun to try and get, cos they be hooge!!

Australian gun laws dont allow semi automatic.fully automatic rifles. No fully automatic anything, but semi auto pistols are allowed.

One of the guys i went with (i havnt actually shot anything, just spectated) used a .303 with fat scope. Had a ute with a spotty, would roll up, spot a roo about 500metres away (pitch black except for the light on the roo.) One shot, in the noggin. He was a pro shooter, did it as an almost full time job. Sold the skins, meat etc. He even scored a coupla widdle wabbitts that night, fed em too his very happy dogs.

That's exactly what the rabbits are here, there's tens of thousands of them.  It's basically like killing mice here, just that you've got a .22.  They're almost as big of a problem as mice sometimes.

You're forgiven then. :P Australia is having similar problems, people were even whacking them with clubs over there. Still, rabbit is good eating.

The biggest outdoorsman I admire is none other than rocker Ted Nugent.

And he totes a Glock 20 and takes rabbits on the run with it... Definately gained Glocks (and the 10mm) a bit of fame.

Yeah at various times the rabbits get into plague proportion. Esp out West. Though there are a few nasty bugs introduced to keep the rabbit numbers down.

At one stage I think we had 3 Billion rabbits in Australia. Until caliche virus wiped a lot of them out. For u people that own Akubra hats- where do u think ur hats came from? ;)

As to hunting season- we have only one season duck season- apart from that

Foxes, Deer (various types- Red, Sambar, chital, Fallow), Feral Pigs, Water Buffalo, rabbits, feral cats, hares, feral dogs are on the hunting scene 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. As these species are all introduced to Australia.

Dingo's also are hunted but not as much in some areas.

Kngaroo's are also taken dependent on numbers as they compete with livestock- there ar prob more roo's than ever in Australia as the number of man made dams have allowed the roo's to have usually water year round.

In the area I go hunting we take Foxes, feral Cats, rabbits, Pigs and any feral dogs that we come across. We have seen deer but not hunted them. Pig hunting is almost a national past time and there are publiations dedicated to it. They even have whole mags of pics of women posing with dead pigs they have hunted...

:yes:

In the area I go hunting we take Foxes, feral Cats, rabbits, Pigs and any feral dogs that we come across. We have seen deer but not hunted them. Pig hunting is almost a  national past time and there are publiations dedicated to it. They even have whole mags of pics of women posing with dead pigs they have hunted...

:yes:

forgot about foxes, i almost clobbered one with a spud gun the other night :P

yeah, pig mags, my school libary stocks em for some reason, probably reminds the boarders of home :blink:

That's exactly what the rabbits are here, there's tens of thousands of them.  It's basically like killing mice here, just that you've got a .22.  They're almost as big of a problem as mice sometimes.

You're forgiven then. :P Australia is having similar problems, people were even whacking them with clubs over there. Still, rabbit is good eating.

Rabbit is very good, but these aren't good rabbits for eating. Too scrawny, hardly any meat at all on them. The herders and farmers around here keep shooting lots of the coyotes and mountain lions, so the rabbits keep growing. Just a little while ago, they took the timber wolf we had in the mountains back to yellowstone. It ran all the way here on three legs, completely alone.