THANK YOU, RSE!!!

ZJJ

Just got home from a 10 hour round trip to attend the gr2 demo in Raleigh, NC. It was worth the trip!!!!

I met so many of the members of the development team and ended up talking the entire 6 hours that I was there. :o

I tried to thank you all while there for doing such an awesome job on the xbox version, but I know I didn't say it to all of those I met.

Thank you! :notworthy:

Since I was able to talk to the dev team, I was able to find out more of the intricate details that went into developing the game - from sound to destruction details.

Gosh, I really need to organize all my thoughts.... basically, they spent a lot of time to fine tune this game. I have no doubt that the same attention to detail will go into the PC version.

Sounds like you had an exciting time!

Take your time to share your impressions ... you must be pretty tired after the long trip.

Since most of us will hopefully be able to play the actual game next week, I'm more interested to hear whatever you can tell us about who you met from RSE, what they did, behind the scenes info about the development of the game, which other fans you met, how the party was, etc. :thumbsup:

Since most of us will hopefully be able to play the actual game next week, I'm more interested to hear whatever you can tell us about who you met from RSE, what they did, behind the scenes info about the development of the game, which other fans you met, how the party was, etc. :thumbsup:

That's why I went, I don't play console games much anymore and didn't want to embarrass myself infront of the dev team, so I never picked up the controller. I knew the members of the dev team were going to be there and I wanted to meet them, to find out things that you don't find out while playing the game.

I was just telling NYR about the destruction coding that went into the game. For example, if you shot a wood frame, you will see pieces of wood flying off. How those pieces break into pieces will vary depending on the trajectory of the shot. Just amazing the detail.

Its funny how many nice little details that are found in GR1, many you don't notice the first or 10th time through a map. Its stuff like that I love about RSE games, they look to be doing the same thing with GR2. My hats off to them once again.

The environments are just incredible. I think there was a sky box, but with a layer of moving clouds. The water is fantastic, looks specular mapped. Where it hits rocks it sprays. Vegetation is alot thicker than in GR, with long views instead of the clipping and fog layer. Biggest map they said was a kilometer long. Lots of detail in the maps.

Gameplay is very much GR. Tactics and stealth are still key. Despite being my first time ever with an Xbox I finished a firefight (with AI team). FPV felt very familiar and comfortable. Enemy tracers in SP, didn't notice any from my team, but I was too busy trying to stay alive. Still the occasional AI running in front of you. Didn't notice tracers in MP.

Helicopters in missions are dynamically scripted. They don't show up in the same place at the same time every time you play.

Just about everyone who played MP used the OTS view. Bunkers (heavily evolved from the old RS Bunkers) and the old village map (whatever it's called) will be MP favorites.

and I got a hat :D

Gosh, the environments! Remember Serellan telling us about the map where the fog slowly rolls in until it is very dense and then at the end of the mission is clears again?

Can't wait to see that in game.

Yes, we did talk about the PC version, very XBox predominate as that is the game that is in final product. Nothing specific regarding maps, missions, etc. as many of our conversations were about the development of the game. (i.e. how it came about, how long have they been working on it, why the delay, the difference in the codes, etc.) One thing I would like to mention is that the devs will talk about what is included in the game when it is determined that it will be in the FINAL version. I think my conversations were so informative because this was what was going to be on the shelves - nothing that was in testing, or an idea they wanted to try - it was THE game.

If I am not mistaken, cobaka is going to do a write up about our conversations yesterday. I'm sure we will collaborate on what we both heard to make sure we didn't misunderstand the "short answers" we were given. ;)

To give you another idea as to how detail oriented they were in creating this game. When it came to sounds of weapons and vehicles, they went to Fort Bragg for an live weapons demonstration. Which reminds me, surround sound is coded into the game, if you have surround sound you will be able to hear the sounds coming from you at all angles. I need to find where I can get my hands on a copy of those surround sound headsets that were discussed here recently.

Forgot to mention, they worked really hard at making sure there weren't any more invisible walls. There will either be barriers or consequences.

I asked about glitches and was informed that the missions and maps were tested extensively so that the game would be as bug free as possible. Hats off to the testers who worked long hours (tough I'm sure) to make sure they could find all possible bugs. :notworthy:

Did someone say 'Old village map'??? Seeing as thats one of my faves from GR1 can you tell me if you mean it's been done for GR2? (it was perfect apart from the 'over the bridge campers' and needed a rope bridge behind the village to connect to the other side.

Also, i heard you can fall off edges. Can you jump in the game? How about run speeds is it just creep (which i never used) walk or run still?

Like I mentioned, the invisible walls are gone. I didn't get into the running and jumping details, but if I recall correctly they were discussed by other people in previous interviews.

For me it was comforting to know that when it came to keeping the game real that when "someone" would come up with a wild idea, they would be taken out to the woods, geared up, and asked to do what their idea was. Not everyone was in the military and, therefore, don't have an idea how heavy the equipment is or how the surrounding area affects the movements.

I'm sure as I work today, I'll be remembering more and more of what all transpired yesterday. And further discussions here will continue to prompt my old memory.

My Experience was pretty interesting out of what I did there. Playing on the SP mode was interesting. The Squads are just given to you. You have your basic infantry and a medic in which to heal your troops. After one of your men reaches the red zone they get meded, but if your men get to the grey zone the are beyond help (otherwise known as dead).

The Basic load out for weapons is a type of rifle, a pistol, types of explosives, and depending on the mission, AT and Detenation devices. There are i think 5 classes to choose from. Rifleman, Gunner, Lone Wolf, Marksman, and something else i can't remember. Everyone basicly has the same type of weaponry except for the rifles which vary between classes. But if you really need some more ammo just pick up some guys gun or go find a ammo stash.

Enemies are better and more intellegent than the last one though sometimes can prove to be a little idiotic. One thing i noticed is that it is kind of hard to kill people with a sniper rifle unless you shoot them in the head. I think it part of the body shot placement or something but certain areas have different times you should that spot for them to die.

The Maps looked great. The rocks, trees, grass, water, and sky are very nice. The foliage is a little uninteractable. They tend to be like rocks and you can't go through most of them. The Explosians are pretty good too. Nice firery ball of death opens up after a well place shot with a rocket.

The other thing I noticed was the excellent sounds. For example, there is a big huge bell in the 2nd campaign level in which if it is shot or hit makes a nice little gong sound. The bullet carries from speaker to speaker and if you have like a surround sound set up, you can hear explosions carry through them as well.

The Squad based tactics are very much needed in the levels. There are many types of commands you can give your teammates in order for them to carry out your order.

All in all i think this game is very well put together and I can't wait for its release.

TY RSE

Glad to see you had a good time zjj. I just got warm and fuzzy about that coding for destruction of the wood etc. I'm curious as to what 3dsmax parts need to be added to take advantage of this technology. I've got the havoc plugins already working at 3dsmax startup by default, just need to figure out how to use 'em.

thanks zjj for your wonderful report back to us. when can everyone who's been sworn to secrecy, be able to divulge the havoc stuff? would be cool if they released a new IGOR that sets the map up automatically for havoc physics..but maybe wishful thinking :santa:

Also, i heard you can fall off edges.

I know you can get blown off edges :D . I was playing MP on the map with the big waterfall. I was sniping(camping) on the middle level looking down on the bridge in the lower level. All the sudden there is an explosion from above and I see a body falling from the top level down to the river below. Very cool. :thumbsup:

I really liked the way GR2 felt. IMO it reminded me a lot of the first GR. I played OTS view the whole time just to feel it out. After a few games you really don't notice a different b/w the two views, unless you want to (ie watch hand signals, checking stance).

Can't wait for wed. to pick up the game.

If I am not mistaken, cobaka is going to do a write up about our conversations yesterday.  I'm sure we will collaborate on what we both heard to make sure we didn't misunderstand the "short answers" we were given.  ;)

All those "short answers" were too much for my head to hold. I'm having a hard time remembering the questions let alone the answers :blink:

A few quick questions about the AI and teams.

1. Do they (team mates) have unlimited ammo?

1a. If not, when they do run out of ammo, can they pick up enemy weapons?

1b. Can you exchange weapons with them on the fly?

2. Do the enemies have unlimited ammo still?

3. Before each mission, can you choose which weapons you want team mates to have?

4. Let's say a man in "Bravo" is downed, can you send your man from "Alpha" to "Bravo" to assist while you go solo? Or does "Bravo" carry on by themself?

5. Can the AI team mates revive one another or are you the only one that can?

Just had these questions lying about and never got around to asking about them.