CentCom: Worm map #1

The Worm

Hi. I'm Worm, and I'm the Lead Level Designer for Worm Modding Studios.

<actually it's just me and WMS exists only in my head, but it's cool to see it in print :D >

Worm Modding Studios is proud to be contributing to an exciting new mod for Ghost Recon, CentCom.

The mod started about a year ago when Dog-Zebra began with some custom skins/chrs to represent the Special Forces of the US Central Command now active across the Middle East. "CentCom" (for Central Command) is the working title of what was originally a skin/chr mod that snow-balled into a full conversion involving a team of talented modders working on custom missions, maps, weapons, vehicles and all tied together into an engrossing campaign!

As for Worm Modding Studios, the following is a preview of our little contribution to this mod:

I made a simple map that's set along the northern-most wall of a wide (1 mile) valley. There is a high cliff that marks the north slope of this valley, and the name of the map is therefore "Cliffs".

Below is a shot of the cliffs I mentioned.

worm_map1a.jpg

Mostly it's traditional GR country with wide open spaces with very little tree cover. Watch out for snipers!

worm_map1b.jpg

There are some scattered huts around containing friendly villagers. Or nasty tangoes. Can't remember which. Walk in and find out! :o=

worm_map1c.jpg

There are some tight CQB areas as well, with rooms you can explore. If you're not careful, the tangoes might be smacking your dead body with their shoes. :devil:

worm_map1d.jpg

As is the trend these days, I made a night version for those who prefer "Sneak, shoot 'n' scoot" instead of "run 'n' gun"

worm_map1e.jpg

Well, I hope you enjoyed this preview of one of the maps that will be in this mod :) .We will be updating you when new stuff comes out. We're working hard to ge this mod out before GR2-for-pc comes out, for watch for it soon!

worm_map1f.jpg

We're always on the look-out for talented GR modders for the team. If you feel you can contribute to CentCom, feel free to pm Dog-Zebra or Jay316. :thumbsup:

<psssst guys! Did that sound "professional enough? heehee>

Very nice Worm! Looking really good. Cant wait to play it m8. On 3rd screenshot the area looks kind of empty. Add some bush there or i dunno make some variation in terrain there IMO. Or maybe it should be like this? I dunno m8.

I like the overall feeling of the map. GJ Worm :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice map there "Lead Level Designer for Worm Modding Studios" :D

I like the river with bridge (can you blow that buddist statue up? and will there be a cave-entrance after it's blown up? (or is that a surpise - now gone lol).

And nice buildings (too bad there damaged :P )

I think this is a nice low-poly map (how many polys is it ?).

GL with CentCom

Hey, thanks for the feedback, guys.

Actually, the map's finished, but I agree with you... the map looks kinda blank. The place I based the map on is as bald as Elmer Fudd ie not many trees...., as you can see...

17-oni3.jpg

... so I compensated by scattering lots of boulders. Any more suggestions? I'm thinking of reopening the map and planting some corn or other cultivated crop. That would add more cover and cocealment, and still look "natural" in a desert. :)

Looks nice.

The destroyed buildings look really cool.

I'm missing some diversity in your groundtexture though. Try to use a basemap with different colourpatches to make it more unique.

Some of the hills are a bit angular but other than that, thumbs up.

Looks nice.

The destroyed buildings look really cool.

I'm missing some diversity in your groundtexture though. Try to use a basemap with different colourpatches to make it more unique.

Some of the hills are a bit angular but other than that, thumbs up.

Looking very nice ! Hope, its coming soon :D

How does corn grow in the desert? IMO that would look way out of place.

I don't think there is anything wrong with an open map. As a matter of fact it might be a refreshing change of pace. It isn't like there aren't places like that in the world.

Any more suggestions? I'm thinking of reopening the map and planting some corn or other cultivated crop. That would add more cover and cocealment, and still look "natural" in a desert. :)

How about opium poppies? Very Northern-Alliance-hoorah-the-Taliban-are-on-the-way-out taste of Ghanny...

Love your idea of the shelled-out Buddhas, Worm - and the way you've brought the idea to life, too!

Please tell me it'll be Mac-friendly, this map of yours?

:ph34r:

Theo

if this is going to be a desert map, are you going to remove the evergreen/pine trees? and or change the ground texture.

Oops! Bad choice of word on my part :stupid:

I Did some research and Afghanistan is not desert Arab country but a mountainous South Asian country. It's cold! The highlands have some pines but mostly rock. It snows in Tora-bora! :o

The valleys tend to be damper, with evergreens... and millions of poppy plants.

_1731041_poppy300.jpg

The poppy fields is a good idea. I tried making poppy plants a few months ago but... er... I'm not too good... so that didn't turn out ok. :( So I made a pumpkin patch instead. :rofl:

Edited by The Worm

sweet corn (Zea mays) commonly known as Maize, grows in the deserts of California.

CLIMATIC REQUIREMENTS

Temperatures for optimal germination of sweet corn seed are 65° F (18° C) and above. Optimal temperatures for growth are 60° to 75° F (16° to 24° C), with 50° F (10° C) as a minimum and 95° F (35° C) as a maximum.

planting occurs from January to March and in August for harvest in May through early June and November through early December

"The versatile plant can thrive in climates as diverse as the arid desert "

Edited by lexsis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...