VBS1 F.A.Q.s

Dan

Here is a few questions that seam to get asked alot about VBS, thought id put em all in one place for future reference.

oscommerce.gif

What is VBS1? What is it all about?

VBS1 is a combat simulator. Produced by Bohemia Interactive Australia, a child company of Bohemia Interactive Studios. It is used by the United States Marine Core and the Australian Defence Forces. It has been available to Governments for a while, but has only "gone public" this year.

Is VBS1 just an addon for Operation Flashpoint?

No!! VBS1 uses a modified OFP engine, but that is it. Yes, there are similarites, but VBS1 is a standalone program.

When I buy it, what do I get? What's the story with addons?

To play VBS1, you need to buy the VBS1 core program. This is the most expensive part, and is what makes VBS1 run. It comes with a few practice missions, with basic weapons and skins.

To add more weapons, skins, vechiles and maps, the player needs to purchase addon modules. There are currently (as of 2/11/2004) 9 official Addon Modules, they are:

ADF1

USMC1

OPFOR1

SF1

Terrain1

Terrain2

Observer2

After Action Review2

Animal1

click names for a detailed description

If i have addons, can i play online with a friend who doesnt have the same ones?

That depends on the mission. If the mission is scripted using, for example, units from ADF1, all players will need to have ADF1. Essentially, all players need to have the addons used to create the mission.

I'm an American, why can't I have some of the addon packs?

'cos your government doesnt want you too. At the present time, the USMC, US Army National Guard and After Action Review packs are restricted in the US market. Meaning they are only available to authorised clients, not your average player. More info can be found Here.

What addon pack do you (blokes here who play VBS) have?

Well I've got all of em, but i can't play VBS1 due to technical dificulties.

The consensus seams to be:

ADF1

Terrain Packs

Opfor Pack

SF pack

Are you happy with your purchase?

Well so far I havn't seen anyone who has not been impressed with VBS1. As far as I know, the vast majority of customers are happy.

I've paid for VBS1, and its not here yet.

Thats cos if you live outside of the US, its being mailed from Australia, which takes time. Plus various customs laws around the place can hold things up.

If your in the US, CT Corp, the US distributor, have been having some teethiing problems distributing VBS, plus Florida (where they are based) has been getting smashed by storms latly.

Whats the community like?

Well its growing steadily, with roughly 340 registered users at the forums (you have to have purchased it to register). Many of these guys are ex-OFP or GR modders. Already new and exciting fan-made addons are being produced.

Can I make my own addons? Is there a mission editor?

Yes and yes, VBS1 ships with an easy to use mission editor, that allows anyone to quickly chuck some soldiers here and there and fire away. From what i understand it is easier to use than GR's Igor, and is a very powerful tool.

Web Sites for VBS1

Official Resources and forums site:

www.vbsresources.com

Bohemia Interactive Australia's Official VBS1 site:

http://www.virtualbattlespace.com

Online Store (outside of North America):

http://www.virtualbattlespace.com/store/

Coalescent Technologies (US Distributor) Official VBS1 site:

http://www.virtualbattlefieldsystems.com/

Online Store (North America Only)

http://store.virtualbattlefieldsystem.com

roo.jpg

• 2 months later...

To clarify, the restricted addons are not restricted by the US government. They're restricted by CTCorp. There is no sensitive information in the public releases of those addons. CTCorp simply likes to let everyone know that they (CTCorp) rule with an iron fist.

Also, I've put up a new VBS1 site, VBSModding.com, which I hope will become the OFPEC of VBS1.

-----

Questions I get a lot:

How can I make my own addons?

Start by downloading the official tools at BIS's Breathe website. Don't ask questions. Download. Read. Follow instructions. If in doubt, read and follow instructions again. It's not rocket science.

Are there any good tutorials?

Yes, in fact, there are. If you've read BIS's instructions, but you still can't get Oxygen and/or Buldozer installed and running right, try Brsseb's tutorials. Specifically, try his Installation/setup tutorial.

Can I use another program, like 3ds Max or Maya to make models?

Yes, you can. You must still import them into Oxygen though, to create LODs and memory points, and then save in VBS1's format.

How do I use the mission editor?

Read the manual that comes with VBS1. It's in your \documents directory in your VBS1 installation. If you are still stuck, try some of the tutorials at OFPEC.

• 4 weeks later...

More FAQ's:

How is VBS1 Different Than OFP

- Better graphics

- Better attention to detail on weapons, vehicles, and units

- More scripting options

- No "campaign" function, per se.

- Scripting options which allow for better campaigns, rendering the above moot

- Better MP support

- Thus far, more mature community

How is VBS1's Flight Model

VBS1's flight model is exactly like OFP's flight model.

Are the Controls Complicated?

The controls are just like those of Operation Flashpoint. VBS1's controls are based on a multi-level control system, which, though complex, can quickly be memorized and utilized well.

Is VBS1 Worth the Money?

If you are looking for another game to stuff your HD, pass up on VBS1. If you are looking for the piece de resistance of military sims, look no further. VBS1 is essentially a bare-bones simulator. If you didn't like OFP though, you won't like VBS1. If you did like OFP, you'll probaby like VBS1 even more. I did.

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking of buying VBS1, but I have some questions...

First off the FAQ was very helpful, thank you. A lot of my questions were answered just from that FAQ.

What kind of server system requirements are needed to run VBS1 smoothly?

Is there a site where everyone goes to to download new modder created mods/missions?

How "easy" to use is the Mission Editing Tool? I've never scripted in GR, will I have to learn some sort of VBS1 scripting?

Can the Mission Editing tool edit/create terain, buildings, plants, trees, mountains, etc?

Is there a GR.net equivalent site for VBS1?

What are the system requirements, and hard drive space needed?

Is the Severe Climates Customization Module the same as the Terain 1 and Terain 2 Mods?

Have there been any Patches out for VBS1? Do the Patches cost money to download?

The VBS1 screenshots from the VBS1 site look amazing. However the screenshots from some players look super low res. Is this because those players have their settings on "low"? Can the game be played with resolutions like those shown in the VBS1 screenshots?

How smart are the enemy AI compared to Ghost Recon?

Do the enemy AI just stand around waiting for a fight? Do they try to flank, surround, retreat, etc?

Can teams parachute into insertion zones?

Thanks,

silent_op

What kind of server system requirements are needed to run VBS1 smoothly?

For a server I dont know.

Is there a site where everyone goes to to download new modder created mods/missions?

Yes, there are fan pages which are hosting addons and also we have the official VBS resources site (only accesible for VBS1 customers/owners.

How "easy" to use is the Mission Editing Tool? I've never scripted in GR, will I have to learn some sort of VBS1 scripting?

It definetly not easy, you cant just hop in and edit/make a mission. Just to give you an example. I am reading/testing/learning and more reading now for 3 weeks just to learn the basics.

But after reading the included manual you can start your first mission editing without a problem only it will not be very much advanced.

Mission editing is like in OFP. So if you know that you at least know what you can expect.

Can the Mission Editing tool edit/create terain, buildings, plants, trees, mountains, etc?

Nope, you need additional software but asfar as I know all this software is free.

Not sure on this, I am not a addon maker.

Yes, but expect the forum to be more mature. (no offence meant to ghostrecon.net offcourse :D). Its not a place where you just go and ask away. First you do it yourself, than you ask.

Or at least thats how I do it.

BTW, only VBS owners and customers have full forum acces.

What are the system requirements, and hard drive space needed?

http://www.vbsresources.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=799

Well my VBS folder is almost 1.8 GB but I think there are people with a lot more.

Is the Severe Climates Customization Module the same as the Terain 1 and Terain 2 Mods?

:wacko::wacko: This just makes me realise I am still aVBS noob. What is this?

So, back to the official VBS forums I guess.

Have there been any Patches out for VBS1? Do the Patches cost money to download?

Yes, latest patch is from last week, and a few more are planned. All patches are for free.

The VBS1 screenshots from the VBS1 site look amazing. However the screenshots from some players look super low res. Is this because those players have their settings on "low"? Can the game be played with resolutions like those shown in the VBS1 screenshots?

As always many people have different hardware. Also keep in mind others might use photo editing programs to make the screens look even better (which in MO isnt done very much).

Model quality is really high. Some models are really stunning and make you forget you are in the middle of a firefight.

Well, all depends on the mission scripter. There are lots and lots of scripts out there that make the AI act as in real life (or as close as AI can get to it). I havent seen any other game with better AI, but that is a personal opinion. Others may state differently.

Do the enemy AI just stand around waiting for a fight? Do they try to flank, surround, retreat, etc?

You wont believe how many time I have been flanked, but again....the mission scripter can put in so much stuff. The AI can do anything.

Can teams parachute into insertion zones?

Yes, it is possible. C-130 insertion with a para drop is sweet :D

Also a new addon is coming, than we have steerable chutes.

And on a final note. I am farely new to VBS, so it is possible I havent got all facts completely correct. Although I just add here what I know. :D

To add to el nin foxhound's post, the Severe Climate module is the same as Terrain 2 - just a different name.

And as for the mission editing - i reckon you can get into it pretty fast, as although you wont be able to make advanced missions at start, you can do basic stuff pretty quick, and soon get the hang of it. I've been adding to a file for about a year now or things i have picked up, which you can view here. Would be great if people could add to it. Not complicated stuff, just general things which you have found helpful (my email is at top of that page to send the things to).

To add a bit more, and I may step on ENF's toes here by covering the same ground, but here goes:

One of the very cool things is, when playing on someone's IP or server, that the host will broadcast the contents of the current mission to whomever is playing, and it will download into a "cache" folder, from which you can later extract the mission and place in your own MP or SP folders.

It's really not that bad, even for rookies. It takes a while to find all the various syntaxes and what things do, how they work, but the editor is slightly more intuitive than you'd think on first glance and http://www.ofpec.com has tons of scripts and reams of info on how to do things. Start there.

http://www.vbsresources.com As well, anyone perusing this particular board can be immensely helpful and friendly in regards to VBS1, and most, if not all, of us are members of the VBS Resource forum.

There are quite a few guys that stage shots and other that use Photoshop to "spice" things up. Others, like myself, don't, except for maybe resizing at most. The shots will depend on both your card, obviously, your image hoster and so on. Results may vary. :D

Now, as ENF stated above, the AI can be amazing at times, and really, blindingly, incredibly stupid at others. Both sides. Keep in mind there will be times in MP if you use AI teammates where you will be hair-pullingly frustrated at them as they lob valuable Javelins at MG jeeps (of their own accord) one minute and then stand defiantly oblivious in the midst of a firefight the next, despite your entreaties, threats, cajoles and bribes to get into the fight, till you're praying for them to take a shot just to keep the enemy from swarming you. :wall: Your AI will get you killed more than once in MP, trust me. Not a question of if, but when. With that said, the enemy AI will depend greatly on the mission scripter, but the AI, even unassisted and raw, will sometimes amaze you at the things they get up to. They are a sight better than the band of ignoramuses you'll be fighting alongside (of course I mean the friendly AI... :whistle: ). But there will be times you'll catch them just standing around as you lob M203 rounds and shoot them where they stand, or they'll run around like lobotomy patients and it makes no sense. A good scripter will have taken care of this, and there's a good many aces out there doing missions- Viper, Dekela, Ger, Cole, just to name a few.

See above. It can happen either way. Scripting and triggers make a huge difference. You know you're in a good mission when you're not thinking about how stupid the AI is acting, but over all, the enemy AI can be quite entertaining to keep tabs on. Odds are, you miss him the first time, he'll be back, usually from somewhere you don't expect him from. I'd say they're relatively impressive even when given little direction.

Addendum:

Forgot to mention: The best way to enjoy VBS1 and get the full experience is to play with the "boys". MP is by far the best part of it, as you're not relying on the painfully ineffective AI to help you out. If you buy it as a "game" to play a campaign through, obviously you'll be disappointed, as there is no campaign. :rofl: SP is not the best aspect of VBS1.

Edited by WP33

Thank you so much for your fast replys.

I would have to say that if I buy VBS1 I would want to play as co-op mostly.

I'm still trying to come to grips with the price tag. I still can't decide on whether or not I should save my $350(VBS1 Core, Special Forces, OPFOR, Severe Climates) and wait for OPF2 (or whatever name it will go by). :unsure:

silent_op

i agree with the most part of what everyone has already said. but here's my 2c worth.

if you buy VBS as a game for SP, you may well be dissapointed. there is no campaign, but it does have a handful fo single missions. VBS is designed as a multi player sim for training real life troops, hence there is not much in the way of SP. also, you will find NO voice sounds as in OFP and so on, again, this is due to the fact that VBS is designed as a training sim, using real life voice comms, so they are not needed. although you can use the OFP file if you want them.

as for scripting missions, it's rather amazing how simple a good mission can be. even by using the basics, you can still produce an enjoyable scenario. its all about thinking outside the box, so to speak. you dont NEED scripts and complicated syntax to make good missions.

AI, well again agreed with the rest. sometimes your friendlies can give you the...........well you know what i meen. but, other times they can do a good job, each mission is different. as for opfor AI, they can be as smart or stupid as the mission designer wants them to be. haveing said that, more then once i have left them to there own devices, and been mind blown. they can be very good without mission maker input, and normally react a different way each time the mission is run which can provide replayability.

as for the screens, it will depend on your system specs. and yes some people use PS to enhance their shots, but most like me, only adjust it to match what we see on our screen. most screens are taken using keg's dxdll function, which saves them as a tga format. when this is changed to a jpg, you can lose quality. so its only a matter of adjusting it back to it's true form. for example, i use two functions in PS, auto levels, to get the right colour and brightness, and sharpen, to get the detail. thats it. and the screens i show are the same as i see on my monitor. (unless i view them on a crt. my lcd looks better again)

cheers......

One of my Phoenix Soldiers buddies has a question:

Can all the mods be purchased in other countries like the UK or AUS? Specifically the ones that we cannot purchase in North America?

I wasn't sure how to even begin to answer him. So, I now put it forth to the people who actually purchased the software.

silent_op

One of my Phoenix Soldiers buddies has a question:

Can all the mods be purchased in other countries like the UK or AUS? Specifically the ones that we cannot purchase in North America?

I wasn't sure how to even begin to answer him. So, I now put it forth to the people who actually purchased the software.

silent_op

As far as I know, North America is the only one restricting certain module sales.

• 7 months later...

Gentlemen,

This is going to be the worst kind of noob question, but here goes:

Is VBS1 capable of MP over LAN out of the box, with more than one player using only 1 copy of VBS1?

$300+ seems a bit steep on a per-person basis to play an upgraded OFP, even with the great community you guys have here and the many people doing missions, etc.

Thanks for your time,

Mike

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...