new website layout

swartsz

I am currently working on a new design for my website Swartsmorgan.nl, i have got the design ready but am encountering a strange problem. I made the website so it would stretch the length of the screen but when i fire it up in IE it remains a bit of the bottom of the screen, while it works perfectly in Firefox.

here is a picture of the problem i am talking about:

prob.jpg

and here is the link to the page itself: http://www.swartsmorgan.nl/jan/Layout3.html

Does anybody here know how to solve this?

If only there was one universal browser. ;) FYI it shows up good in Opera too. :)

As for the problem, sorry, i don't know. :(

but thank you for testing in Opera, was wondering how the page would act in that browser since i have no experience with it myself.

Validator should help u with errors. Also it looks weird on 1280x1024 resolution cuz a lot of space on the right side of screen is just blank. How about u use center position and add some tileable background?

Clean design tho :thumbsup:

Try using style sheets

hmm....i have absoluty no knowledge of CSS but have been looking into it, just can't figure how to make the design with it.

Also it looks weird on 1280x1024 resolution cuz a lot of space on the right side of screen is just blank. How about u use center position and add some tileable background?

that is true, i was hoping to use that space for some vertical banners next to the site itself to fill up some of that unused space.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really see the problem as there is a blue strip at the top and the bottom so it looks fine, but if I understand you correctly, you want rid of the blue strip at the bottom... lemme take a look...

Oh wait you mean the white strip at the bottom?

Edited by Rocky

yes, it is the white stripe that keeps bothering me.

Also noticed it dissapears when you refresh the page. I also have been studying how to make a layout using CSS but it will take a while to get it right, so for the moment i am still working on this layout with the annoying white stripe in order to get this new website online as soon as possible. The website needs a new look!

Although CSS is the way to go, this is a simple layout to achieve using tables and should not be any problem at all.

I'll take another look at it shortly. The best way is to start removing elements from the page working backwards until the problem disappears, then we'll know what it is.

I may be completely wrong here but can't you just change the table width to 100% (or a percentage) instead of an actual number so that it is displayed correctly in all browsers regardless of the resolution you are running in?  It looks fine in Firefox 1.0.....

When I looked it was in %ages, unless I missed one. But that is the first thing I checked for - did you see one expressed as pixels?