Why the military stuff excites me...

Arms

A reason why i like all this military is the fire power and them explosions that go off plus the way soldiers do stuff (firing AT rounds, the crackle of rifles etc...), i mean who likes to see a apache firing its rockets at something and see the target go boom? soldiers providing suppressing fire? a f18 doing a bombing run? thats for me thats for sure.

So why do you guys like it?

Well your are definately right about that but i dont exactly mean people dying and that stuff but its cool how the military power can do these interesting things plus all the countries defence force, ww2 was pretty cool with its artillery power etc...

But as you said it can destroy someones health if he/she can take the stress and horrors of battle.

When I was a kid I wished I could become a soldier for typical boyish reasons - the uniforms, cool guns and the glamourous side of it. As an adult I know there are a number of reasons the military are better off without me - I'm not great at staying awake or getting up early, sleeping outdoors or the other hardships and discipline that military life involves. These are of course qualities that one can learn on the job with proper dedication, so fair enough - it's no excuse. My deaf ear on the other hand is. While technically not a disability it precluded me from the physical requirements when I was actually young enough to enlist in any first-world army.

So I content myself with video games, airsoft games, movies and most importantly, reading about soldiering. From this endeavor in particular I have come to appreciate the real aspects of soldiering and perhaps the reason so many people make a career of it - the camaraderie, esprit de corps, pride of service and those sexy uniforms. Okay, not that part.

Aside from these aspects I have the utmost respect for our people in uniform who serve with honor, distinction and the type of bravery that most of us will never have to muster (I hope). Soldiers are my heroes and I appreciate their sacrifice for my freedom every day.

Picks of my reading list:

Close Quarters Battle; Mike Curtis

Inside Delta Force; Eric Haney

Black Hawk Down; Mark Bowden

Black Knights; Oliver Poole

Reading these books will give those of us who've never served a good, well-rounded understanding of not just the visceral details of battle and the military lifestyle, but the thoughts fears and motivations of soldiers and why they do what they do.

Edited by budgie

I can't say that i miss it too much, i miss the comradeship, friends, and good times that were had, but there are too many bad times that go with all that to make me want to do it all again.....  :mellow:

I agree. when you see the realities of it all, it's not like the movies or the glamour.

The stuff you work with does some pretty aweful crap. C4, M4,M60 etc, are all meant to keep you alive.

none the less, the friendships had are timeless. People in your family can never understand the way it works or the closeness of comrades. Hell ZEBB in the grand scheme of things...we are comrades or brothers of a larger fraternity. glad to be your comrade anytime m8!

-Papa6-

Couldn't agree more there! It's the friendships that makes it all worth while and that seems to be the things mostly remembered years after. Ofcource you also remember the bad parts but they only come back to haunt you from time to time.

Although what could be more fun than blowing something up just for the heck of it! :devil:

I've got both good and bad memories from my time in the service, the good and funny ones is the type I sit back and think of and really miss allthewhile the really bad ones are the type that can keep me awake at night. Even though the bad ones are just that, BAD, I wouldn't want to be without them. They are what gives me the ability to separate good times from bad times and that usually makes me see the good in things instead of the bad.

I do agree with snow fella. there should be a balance, once you've seen it balance it something else... e.g seen spice girls? watch a nuclear testing.  :thumbsup:

The best way to get a "bonding" effect is to get into a firefight. Odd as it is, but instead of petty thoughts, you're like "Yeah, he better hose that sucker with the 240, etc." But along those lines, sending rounds out is always fun too :)

Because of my age (15) I have no practical military experience.

why the military stuff excites me??

I like the technic (weapons, camos) and the tactic that is used on the battlefield.

I often watch military movies because I'm interested in the history (vietnam, ww2, ...)

I really like all military related stuff and I am looking forward to get into the army and make the elementary education (should be in 4 years), but I am not the guy who wants to risk his life in a war.

Military matters excite me mostly because of my sense of adventure and the need to find others who share my passions, as well as find the comraderie that I've looked for my whole life. I view guns, explosives, and military doctrine as tools to do a job. If I were to enlist in the military, it would be for the bonds of brotherhood, not to blow stuff up.

Military matters excite me mostly because of my sense of adventure and the need to find others who share my passions, as well as find the comraderie that I've looked for my whole life.  I view guns, explosives, and military doctrine as tools to do a job.  If I were to enlist in the military, it would be for the bonds of brotherhood, not to blow stuff up.

As Papa6 and others have alluded to Para' brotherhood is all there is once things start to get "hot", you only do the things you do because you have such a strong bond with your buddies and you all rely on each other to get back out in one piece, the military know this, and thats why all the training is aimed at building this cameraderie because they know thats what makes the machine work.

I consider any ex-military person my comrade because we all have a similar mind-set thanks to years of service, you can spot them a mile away, as long as you know what your looking for obviously... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

While im still young and cant join up yet i plan too . Ever since i was 7 ive always wanted to be a soldier and now that im older i wanna be one even more . Doing something for my country and protecting the freedoms we have here and going to another country to let them have the same freedom we have . There are more reasons for me to post but i think thats enough

To read about the absolute bravery from otherwise ordinary folks never ceases to amaze me. Did you know the most highly decorated serviceman to ever don the American uniform served in Vietnam? Most people don't. Damn shame in my book. The man was recommended for the Medal of Honor 3 times in 13 months. He served in the 5th Special Forces Group and was assigned to the Studies and Observation Group (SOG) operating in Laos and Cambodia. For further info, check out SOG: A Photo History of the Secret Wars written by John Plaster. He's written 3 books on the topic, this being number 2 in the series. May want to check with your local library, this book retails for around $80.00 but is full of invalueable content, IMHO. Robert Howard is the gentleman's name and he definitely deserved better.

My dad served in the 10th Mountain Division. I'm not old enough to serve, and him serving has stemmed my interest to ask a lot of questions about what it's like. While he's been reluctant to tell me some of the stuff, over the past few years he's told me a lot more about it. And I'm glad he has.

Then with September 11th came the real bang. I completely came to Earth. I was only in 8th grade, and this made me realize who our true heroes are. The ones fighting for our freedoms, and to keep me safe in my house. And for that, I share a deep love for our soldiers, and for the men and women fighting for us today... that is why I love the military, and everything they do for me.

I mainly just like the marines and special forces. Mainly because special forces

are highly trained,extremely deadly,are trained in phycological warfare as well

as physical. Once you have the enemy mentally you can easily take them physically. :snipe::gun:

also stealth precision and their level of expertise makes them

a highly lethal force and thats why i love the special forces

heres a special forces creed

I am a security force member.

I hold allegiance to my country, devotion to duty, and personal integrity above all. I wear my shield of authority with dignity and restraint, and promote by example high standards of conduct, appearance, courtesy, and performance. I seek no favor because of my position.